lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-12-2023, 10:55 PM   #1
Ger42
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default keeping my ECO 48V 105 AH at or near full charge

I live on top of the San andreas fault. I'd like to keep my golf cart battery at or near 100% in case I need it. Will this reduce the life and if so what will I lose?
Ger42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-13-2023, 09:57 AM   #2
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: keeping my ECO 48V 105 AH at or near full charge

IIRC, Eco recommends keeping it between 20-80 percent. Like you (and not for the same reason) I tend to want things "topped off" and have had to learn that it is okay not to keep these fully charged.

I've sat in enough traffic jambs to make the minimum fuel I allow in my truck at 1/2 a tank, and when I hit that I start looking for fuel; I just don't want to get caught short. I like to think that keeping our carts fully charged makes sense, but that doesn't seem to be the case and I am sure someone smarter than me will come by and explain this better than I just attempted to!
simicrintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 11:18 AM   #3
Ger42
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by simicrintz View Post
IIRC, Eco recommends keeping it between 20-80 percent. Like you (and not for the same reason) I tend to want things "topped off" and have had to learn that it is okay not to keep these fully charged.

I've sat in enough traffic jambs to make the minimum fuel I allow in my truck at 1/2 a tank, and when I hit that I start looking for fuel; I just don't want to get caught short. I like to think that keeping our carts fully charged makes sense, but that doesn't seem to be the case and I am sure someone smarter than me will come by and explain this better than I just attempted to!
I look at 3/4 tank on the car on the advice of our city Emergency Operations Center Manager
Ger42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 05:48 PM   #4
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

You are correct, the higher SOC you store your battery at, the less service life it will have. How much, it’s hard to predict as it’s also dependant upon stored temperature.

If the service life is 3000 cycles, then it may drop to 2500, or 2000. But, the battery is still very useable after its “service life” charges have occurred. The service life indicates when the capacity has dropped to 80% of its original capacity. So your 105Ah battery will be down to 84Ah. Still very good, and much better than Lead Acid.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 02:22 PM   #5
LT4Ryan
Getting Wild

I came by to praise the performance of my battery, installed it 3 months ago and it has performed flawlessly in the San Antonio heat. I just have a question now, because I leave it plugged it when I am not using it.

Should I use the cart (mostly golf) until I'm down to 40-50% (this would take multiple days/trips for me to "burn it down" that much) and then plug it in to reach 100%?
LT4Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 02:39 PM   #6
jasonojordan
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Ryan View Post
I came by to praise the performance of my battery, installed it 3 months ago and it has performed flawlessly in the San Antonio heat. I just have a question now, because I leave it plugged it when I am not using it.

Should I use the cart (mostly golf) until I'm down to 40-50% (this would take multiple days/trips for me to "burn it down" that much) and then plug it in to reach 100%?
You may want to start your own thread with the question if it does not get answered here. It is a similar topic for sure but sometimes your question may get lost in the OP thread since you did not start your own thread.
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 03:51 PM   #7
8-point
Gone Fishing

Club Car

This is more good info as usual guys. Thanks. There maybe other users out there that has that 100% obsession like me.
8-point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 05:37 PM   #8
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Ryan View Post

Should you?…..yes if you want to maximise service life. Is it practical to do so?…….probably not.

I would not charge after every use like you would normally do with lead acid. I would continue to use the cart until the charge got down to a level that I was comfortable with, and that would not leave me stranded, then recharge back to 100% and start the cycle again.

I don’t know exactly how you use your cart, but from what you wrote above, you could only be charging twice a week. Even at 2000 cycle life, that’s 1000 weeks, or 20 years. Calendar ageing will come into effect well before that.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2023, 09:49 PM   #9
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
I look at 3/4 tank on the car on the advice of our city Emergency Operations Center Manager
3/4 of a tank of gas in no way compares to 75% charge on a battery. Here is my solution since I plug mine in after every use. I use a timer to shut the charger off after a set time. That should avoid doing any damage to the battery.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2023, 08:30 AM   #10
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Another possible drawback for some with spending so much for a battery is anxiety that comes on how to use it and get the most from it without damage. Not much different than buying a pristine car and finding you arent using it for fear you will depreciate the value.
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car