lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-19-2011, 10:39 PM   #1
tjstahly
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default G2 secordary clutch assembly.

I recently aquired a G2 and the secondary clutch spring seat has no plastic shoes left on it and all the splines have been completely ground off .When I pulled all this off to further inspect there was no c clip on the shaft just 2 half splined spacers butted up to each other on the input shaft and one had pushed the input shaft seal in to the trans case cutting a croove in the input shaft bearing. I have read about a spacer being there instead of a c clip but not 2 spacers. Is that correct? And lastly whats the "helix" is it the secondary spring seat??? Sorry for the extremely long post... Ill keep em shorter in the future Thanks in advance Tom
tjstahly is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-20-2011, 06:50 PM   #2
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: G2 secordary clutch assembly.

Helix is the ramps, because they actually spiral and that is a helix.....though the other part may also be called that the hub with shoes that rides it. In some sleds the ramps are on the hub not the sheave. In fact good ones use rollers now not plastic pucks, and then you can vary the shape of the ramps/slots....but a 10hp golfcart really has no need for that. You can get a used, or you can update to the new style with better plastic pucks I'd try to do that. IIRC the spacer rides on the end of the splines so it can't slide into the trans. If you buy a secondary sheave(s) consider getting a cut one for a lower gear if you are going to lift it. You have to smooth the ramps back out or they will tear up the new plastic, if it was metal to metal.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 07:43 PM   #3
tjstahly
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Thanks for the reply, So If I get you correct in this case the helix is the secondary seat/ part with the shoes on it. I was looking a plowmans secondary clutches and he states that only the V-twin comes with a new helix.. With being said what do you think of the ones (secordary Spring seat/helix) from BU...And lastly there should only be one spacer in the input shaft right?? Thanks Tom
Old 03-21-2011, 09:55 AM   #4
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Right helix is the ramps, sometimes the hub with shoes that runs on ramps for ease of discussion.

One spacer is correct, have no idea why two would be used. Likely it would never get high gear that way.

The helix balances the engine torque for the trans, that way when you hit a hill it can keep low gear longer to keep rpm up, and when you let off the gas at steady speed it can shift up to run lower rpm at part throttle. The angle of the ramps can be changed to cause more rpm change due to engine torque. For example in my cart I could not pull a boat out of the lake on the trailer, so I ended up grinding the last part of the ramp down to change the angle. Now it gets more rpm up to about 5mph when you pull something. If I can get the trailer to move it will rev and pull it out, before it would bog. After 5mph it returns to normal rpm, at part throttle it shifts faster and mostly bypasses that spot you don't even notice in normal driving. I don't know exactly what it changes but for a double size engine they are using a different ramp angle, I'll guess it reacts less since there is twice to the power on it.

Remember the belt is trying to force the sheaves apart in the secondary, and the spring in there can push them together as well as preload against the ramps if you have a stock spring. Changing those will alter how it shifts.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 03:57 PM   #5
flattoppro
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Sho305

Are the plastic pucks a factory thing or are there avaibily through some of our dealers???

Wayne
flattoppro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:14 PM   #6
tjstahly
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Thanks for the info sho305, I really apperciate your patience,I am going to be ordering a clutch set-up from plowman here in the near future and this gives me more info about what they will be asking. Again thanks for your help Tom.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha