lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-08-2008, 10:45 PM   #11
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: headlights for 36v

I'm not the only one who spent Xmas eve fussing with blacked out strings of lights?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-08-2008, 11:39 PM   #12
janhoward777
Not Yet Wild

couldn't you do it this way? figure out how much resistance is across the filamint double that and put that value of the resister with a say ten watt rating and the light would not burn out because it would only see it as resistance that would zero out after it went throught the resistance of the resister and the filament which is desiged to be zero volts after it is drawn through.Correct me if i am wrong.
janhoward777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 04:06 AM   #13
rifter
rifter

E-Z-GO

While your at the auto zone pick up a small fuse panel it will have hookups for 4 or 6 different items each with a fuse, run your hot and your ground to the fuse panel
then you have a hot and ground for as many lights you need to use and you will have blade connections, you can mount the panel in the dash for adding things like a radio. When I installed mine I ran a pair of full size battery cables to the panel and hooked them to the hot and ground of 2 batteries in a series. I didn't think of what Scotty B said about it drawing down 2 of the batteries but it sounds right depending on how much you use what ever you have lit up.
rifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 07:28 AM   #14
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

It very much depends on how much you use the accessories. If you don't use the lights very much the drain on the two would be minimal.
Old 08-09-2008, 10:05 AM   #15
janhoward777
Not Yet Wild

ok i believe it works this way. as long as you dont drive the cart the batteries will drain as far as the lights are concerned. but when you run the cart it will equalize the voltage because they are in series. or when you charge them as well
Old 08-09-2008, 10:21 AM   #16
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

NOpe it just doesn't work that way. I have seen sets replaced from the imbalance created like this. Eventually the two get used up faster than the rest. Switch the connections to a different pair each month?
Old 08-09-2008, 10:23 AM   #17
roady89
nimda
Club Car

No, it does not make any difference whether your driving the cart or not. The batteries are in series whether you are under power or dead stopped.

The batteries used for electrical accessories will ALWAYS have less power than the others if being used. The reason it is not always reccomended to power lights or any electrical accessory from 2 batteries is this: When charging, the non-accessory batteries reach full charge sooner than the accessory batteries. The non-accessory batteries tend to get overcharged while the others are brought to full capacity....do this too many times and you end up with bad batteries. Most often people will discharge the accessory batteries more than the others...which causes them to go past a safe discharge state....do THAT to many times and you have a set of bad batteries. If you run 12 volt accessories off of 2 batteries its good practice to either rotate the 12 volt connection to another set or some people place the accessory batts on an automotive type charger to try and balance out the pack.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 03:04 PM   #18
janhoward777
Not Yet Wild

ok i learned something today. i just bought me an electric e-z-go. i didn't get a charger with it but it has brand new workhorse batteries, and three new tires. i need the front piece of the front cowl i am not sure of the year of this but it looks fairly new. thenumbers on the id plate are as follows. top line 666554 bottom line is o41191. Does that mean this is a 91? i got it for 200 cash and it is nort all rusted out. please give me some pointers on proper maintainance and how to make the batteries last longer etc. i want to put A 48"X 30" BED ON THEBACK AND A SMALL TUBULAR RACK ON THE FRONT.
Old 08-09-2008, 04:24 PM   #19
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Since you do not have the charger you must protect the batteries from being damaged by being drained down too low. At 36 volts the pack is safely empty. Any further draw is not healthy. Repeated over taxing will result in perminent damage to the batteries. Find a charger, Fast.
Old 08-10-2008, 12:31 AM   #20
rusty
Golf Cart Photographer

Club Car

Welcome to the forum janhoward777.....................
rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts