lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-09-2018, 08:11 AM   #1
JakeJones8
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Default 3A fuse blows immediately switching tow to run

Yamaha techs needed!

I have a 2009 Yamaha Drive with 500a alltrax, Admiral Mot-D2, HD solenoid, and 2g wires. I installed these 4 parts last week and everything was working great (was getting 30+mph). Used it for 2 days no problem. Sat in my garage for a week and went to go drive and it is dead. No clicking no nothing. Checked the 3A fuse before the r/t switch and it was blown. Switched it with a new 3A fuse and turned the r/t switch to run, blew immediately (key in off position). Put in a new 5a fuse in its place, blew the second I switched from tow to run again.

1) why did my cart work great last week and now won’t even power up when all it has done is sit in my garage for a week?
2) why are the 3A and 5A fuses blowing instantly when I switch to run?

Below is pic of fuse blowing the second I switch to run on the r/t switch
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C703CDD3-84F1-4027-95B8-EE60D0D2EF71.jpg (83.7 KB, 0 views)
JakeJones8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-09-2018, 01:20 PM   #2
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Default Re: 3A fuse blows immediately switching tow to run

I thought that I read a thread here this week where someone had a similar problem when installing a new controller with the 3 amp fuse blowing ... it turned out in that thread that he was supposed to replace the 3 amp fuse with a 10 amp fuse as was outlined in his Alltrax instructions. Don't take my word for it ... check your install instructions carefully to see if they recommend that you fuse up
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 01:27 PM   #3
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Here is the link to the thread that I was referring to: http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...-anything.html ... but it looks like you found it already.

If you have doubts about the requirement for a 10 amp fuse, it is probably best to contact Alltrax directly to get their feedback.

The Alltrax wiring diagram for your controller shows a 10 amp fuse before the tow / run switch for the G19 and G22 ... not sure what the requirement is for your G29.
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 02:17 PM   #4
Firemedic44
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

That was my thread and replaced the 3A with a 10A. Called D&D and they said the Alltrax 400 controller and heavy duty 400A solenoid would be fine with a 10A.
Firemedic44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 02:47 PM   #5
JakeJones8
Getting Wild

Yamaha

I will call alltrax but my main concern is this wiring is pre-solenoid so it wasn’t updated in anyway with the new stuff. And cart ran fine on 3amp for 2 days and now it blows a 5? Seems like a short possibly? Was just fishing out there to see if anyone else has ran the alltrax on the 3A fuse fine?
Old 05-09-2018, 03:18 PM   #6
Firemedic44
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Yea my cart ran fine for several days on 3A then suddenly wounding do anything after sitting in the garage for a couple days on the charger.
Firemedic44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 04:17 PM   #7
JakeJones8
Getting Wild

Yamaha

I will call up alltrax in the morning, thanks for the help!
Old 05-09-2018, 11:07 PM   #8
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeJones8 View Post
I will call up alltrax in the morning, thanks for the help!
Have a 10a fuse ready when you call so you are ready to install it when they tell you to .
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 08:22 AM   #9
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

I'm with Scotty B on this issue, the fuse in question is not on the current or older Alltrax XCT drawing. It is shown on the Yamaha drawing. And, there is nothing in the instructions for the G29 XCT about changing that fuse. I have 4 lithium packs in YDRE's with XCT400's and never a fuse issue (knock on wood). Never heard of this. To blow a fuse like that, a direct short, will not be fixed with a 10A fuse. There is a problem besides fuse size. IMHO

Drawings attached, Yamaha YDRE wiring, XCT old and new wiring drawings. The latest XCT is Rev F.
PingEye3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:08 AM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

It will be interesting to see what A-trax has to say about this
My B29 YDRE running fine without a fuse up-size. The very curious thing is the fuse is burning upon switching to run. The only draw I think of is the automatic cap precharge. Could it be high enough to blow a 3a fuse? I'm going to test the draw on this -
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alltrax 500, drive, fuse, r/t, short
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha