lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-21-2009, 07:49 PM   #1
baumer64
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default g2 starting problem

I'm having an issue with my g2 that I hope I can get some advice on.
Cart has been running fine then last week, got in, turned the key, put my foot on the gas and nothing happened. I did it a couple times and could hear a click some of the times I pressed the gas. When I flipped the seat open to take a look, I again hit the gas and it turned over. Once I closed the seat, again nothing. After trying several times, it finally turned over and started. After it ran a bit, playing on the course, there wasn't a problem. The next time out, same problem again. This time it didn't want to turn over even with the seat up. I held the peddle at the point where the starter engages and it slowly turned over, finally starting. Then again, while playing, I didn't have any issues until I parked it back in the shed. Once there I couldn't get it to turn over at all. Didn't have any tools but plan on going back tonight to clean the battery cables and posts then may put a charger on the battery to see if that is the problem. Any other suggestions from any of the wise people here?

Thanks for any help you can give me.
baumer64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-22-2009, 07:01 AM   #2
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Default Re: g2 starting problem

I would try what you said first, let us know.

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 11:58 AM   #3
baumer64
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Thanks for the response New Guy. I went back in and cleaned the battery posts and terminals but didn't make a difference. I then put the charger on the battery and after a few minutes tried turning it over with the charger on. Cart started right up. Battery didn't really want to charge so I then pulled the battery and put in a new one. After changing the battery, I've run it for 4 days and no issues so it sounds like it was a bad battery. The old battery was with the cart when I purchased it so it was at least 3-4 years old.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:07 PM   #4
dock98
doin it in the desert

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by baumer64 View Post
Thanks for the response New Guy. I went back in and cleaned the battery posts and terminals but didn't make a difference. I then put the charger on the battery and after a few minutes tried turning it over with the charger on. Cart started right up. Battery didn't really want to charge so I then pulled the battery and put in a new one. After changing the battery, I've run it for 4 days and no issues so it sounds like it was a bad battery. The old battery was with the cart when I purchased it so it was at least 3-4 years old.
glad you got it worked out.
dock98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 08:16 PM   #5
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Glad to hear. Got any mods planned? Post up some pics.

Old 08-01-2009, 11:45 PM   #6
baumer64
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

No more mods planned. This cart is just for the golf course. I did take it apart and painted it last year. I'm pretty happy with the end product and have received lots of compliments. I had a thread with before and after pics. It should still be here with a search.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:37 PM   #7
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Yes, I do remember now, very nice cart.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:56 AM   #8
baumer64
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Thanks again... Cart still running fine I guess the battery just went bad.

I do have another issue that has come up though. When it's hot outside and the cart has run for a while (after about 8 or 9 holes on the course) the engine doesn't want to start right up. When the cart is off for about 5 min. and I press the gas, it turns over with no problem and seems to try and fire but is just slow getting started. It almost seems like it's vapor locking. I've tried adjusting the carb a bit richer and that didn't solve the problem. I'm wondering what to check on next.

Any ideas?
Old 09-25-2009, 06:05 PM   #9
g9 driver
Getting Wild
Yamaha

i blame the spinners!! just kiding so it only slow after its been running? have you done normal work like the plug? adjusted the carb? only simple suggestions im sure more experinced guys will be along soon just tryin to help
g9 driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 07:23 PM   #10
Monsterezgokid
Kid no more!!

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by baumer64 View Post
Just one suggestion to save you from replacing the battery agian some time soon.. Did you use a volt meter to check and see what your battery is charging at when the engine is running?. I have seen a couple of the older g2 that use the older style relay type voltage regulators go bad, and they either dont charge, or over charge at like 18-20v and boil the battery ever so slowly.

Just a thought

Oh ya, and one more suggestion, have you checked your starter brushes yet?.. it might be time soon to replace them if they are still original. im also starting to see alot of g2's with brushes that are almost worn out to the end, or are worn out, and the starter acts sluggish, and/or has dead spots
Monsterezgokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha