lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-24-2009, 09:00 PM   #1
TonyToolMan
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default G1 Won't start just clicks (solenoid sound)

I have a G1 that was running great. I added a lift kit and when I prepared to test drive it, it woundn't move, it just clicked (Like a solenoid sound). I have looked for loose wires and checked the fuses, they are intact.

It is getting power to the Starter, and it appears to try to power up, but it doesn't seem to have enough power to start. I loosened the belt and it flutters but does not turn over. I think it must be the starter/generator. Does that sound reasonable?
TonyToolMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-24-2009, 09:49 PM   #2
2HawkFans
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: G1 Won't start just clicks (solenoid sound)

This will seem like a silly question but does the clutch clear the frame with the lift? Can you (with the plug wire off) turn the motor over by hand?
2HawkFans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 06:33 AM   #3
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Good point, some G1's will have interference with the drive clutch and frame after installing a lift.

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 05:12 PM   #4
TonyToolMan
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Not silly at all, I was about to reply that I had checked that already, because I had looked all around the motor for obstructions. I decited that I would try to turn the cluch, and sure enough, it was just touching in on edge. just enough prevent it from moving freely. After raising the raising the rear end to clear it, it began to run again. THANKS SO MUCH... I guess it is like computers, sometimes you get so far into the weeds, you overlook the obvious. I should take my own advice to my techs, look for the simplest answer first.

Now I need to figure out how to bend the frame enought to clear the cluch without doing damage to the strenght.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:53 PM   #5
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Depends on witch style clutch you have, (aluminum or gold colored steel cap type) I have heard of using a slege hammer, heat and a sledge hammer or better yet...cut out enough of the main frame tube (not all the way thru) and weld in a metal plug (for lack of a better word), that would give you the most clutch clerance and make the frame strong again. Good luck and show us some pictures. Dave
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 05:58 PM   #6
TonyToolMan
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

It is a Gold colored cluch. If I heat it, I will remove the Gas tank, If I can bend dent it about a 1/4" it should clear, because it is bearly touching. I will need to come up wit something. I'll add a couple pictures shortly. Maybe someone will have a suggestion. Thanks
Old 09-25-2009, 06:07 PM   #7
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyToolMan View Post
It is a Gold colored cluch. If I heat it, I will remove the Gas tank, If I can bend dent it about a 1/4" it should clear, because it is bearly touching. I will need to come up wit something. I'll add a couple pictures shortly. Maybe someone will have a suggestion. Thanks
I think you'll be fine with removing the tank, heating and "denting it in", as long as it is not a show cart Remember, before you put the tank back in, test the clearance by jumping on the rear bumper to test for travel/movement that would cause it to hit. Good luck Dave
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 06:33 PM   #8
TonyToolMan
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I believe I spoke a little too soon. When I removed the gas tank, I believe the cluch moved out a little more. Now it looks like it is about half way across the frame. I am going to add a couple pictures if I can figure out how to attach them. I am now debating the cutting and adding support to the outside.

Cluch on G1 a.jpg

Looks like work don't you think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cluch on G1 b.jpg (40.8 KB, 10 views)
Old 09-25-2009, 06:59 PM   #9
Monsterezgokid
Kid no more!!

E-Z-GO

Here check this out. Stretch660 did a lift on his g1 and this is what he did.

Hes got some good pics to show what is needed to be modified

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch660 View Post
Another update on the G1/16. With the additional 6"'s I ran into a problem with the sheave hitting the frame, just a little. I had read on previous posts about some others here who just beat the frame with a hammer and bent it in. I thought that should be easy enough, but after taking a look at it once I got the lift on I had a much bigger issue to resolve. So here was my solution.

All painted up:

Monsterezgokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 10:22 AM   #10
TonyToolMan
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

This exactly what I needed. I was thinking about something like this, but wasn't sure if I would be able to make it work and still be safe. My daughter loves to drive the cart, and I wouldn't want something to happen with her on it. I have already begun, using these pictures a guide. I'll post some pictures as soon as it begins to take shape. I have to say that this site is everything I had hoped and more. That says a lot, because I normally do not have much luck with getting good advice from the internet. I think I have found where the real experence hangs out.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha