lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-31-2010, 11:11 AM   #1
DannyO
Not Yet Wild

Default Clutch Pulsating (see video)

I uploaded a short video on youtube. The throttle is constant, but the clutch goes in and out. It is causing the cart to jerk forward and backwards (effectively changing the gear ratio). The gas seems to flow fine. The fuel filter is working, and the gas in the fuel filters is not pulsating. There is plenty of gas in the tank. I installed a new carb earlier this year, and had no problems related to this. It doesn't happen all of the time, and it doesn't happen if I'm going full throttle.

What can I do to prevent this pulsating, which is causing it to jerk back and forth?

1997 CC Gas, FE290.
Earlier this year, I installed a new belt, heavy spring/slides/helix in the driven clutch. I have slides for the drive clutch, but I haven't installed them yet.
DannyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-01-2010, 08:08 AM   #2
dave1shere
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Clutch Pulsating (see video)

Ours is doing the same thing....

I have a 96 CC gas. I changed out the clutch drive on the engine and it did not help the problem. I was having some other clutch problems with it sticking and the bearing making noise so I knew I was going to have to change it anyway, but this didn't relieve the problem.

I still have what I call a "runaway" when I first press down on the peddle, then it straightens out like you have described when going a long distance but it also starts to gain speed until I let off the peddle. I wonder if this is related to the driven clutch on the transmission, I understand the transmission also has a governor inside - could this be part of the problem....

If anyone can give us suggestions, we would appreciate it.

Thanks
Dave
dave1shere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:25 AM   #3
DannyO
Not Yet Wild

After looking at it more, I'm thinking that it isn't the clutch. I keep the gas pedal steady, but the cable that connects to the carb is moving back and forth and causes the engine to surge back and forth, which is causing the clutch to surge back and forth. If I hold the cable steady (i.e. keep the butterfly valve steady), then it stops surging and the clutch is steady. By the way, it only surges at certain rpms (about 75% power), and sometimes more significantly than others. The video is a milder version of the surging, but it can be worse.

The carb is brand new, but it is running rich. I'm going to try changing the spark plug to see if it helps.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:15 PM   #4
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Dan, I have thought about your problem and I
would say that one of the changes you made has
created a narrow window for the clutch to work in.
The cvt system(the clutches) works to keep the
engine loaded to its horsepower at any rpm your
throttle is at. The driver is trying to close and the
driven is trying to stay closed. They will pulse back and forth somewhat.
Now we add the govenor and it is chasing the rpms to limit the speed.
I would try removing the spring and see what it does, then replace the
spring and remove the helix to see if you can get a smooth runout.

GOOD LUCK DOOMs.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 01:54 PM   #5
DannyO
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for your comments.

What about the governor setting? I was looking at an old post from 2008, and the surges were a symptom to a governor problem. I've never messed with the governor, but it could have been knocked around a little. I'll take a look at it.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:04 PM   #6
DannyO
Not Yet Wild

FYI - I took it to the shop, and they said both clutches need to be replaced.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:00 PM   #7
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

It's not a clutch problem... although you may have one as indicated by the large groove that appears to be running right down the middle of the face of the clutch. But back to the point.... Often when Club Car gas powered cars are in need of a tune-up they can't hold a constant RPM well enough to keep the clutch stable. Try this.... Change the spark plug, change the air filter, change the oil and oil filter. Take carburetor off, remove all of the jets and soak carburetor and jets in Chem-Dip carb cleaning solution for about half an hour (This is the most important part) Please make sure you remove the rubber bowl gasket and do not soak it. It will swell in the solution and will never fit again. It should pop right out with a little finessing of a razor blade. After you've done this, wash the carburetor off with water and blow out all of the jet cavities with high pressure air. Clean out all jets with a wire. Reassemble carb. Reinstall carb. Now do this... Loosen Jam Nut on governor arm, hold governor arm at Wide-Open Throttle (The Arm, Not the Butterfly on the Carb) While holding it, turn the governor shaft fully counter clockwise by inserting a small screw or rivet in the hole. After you've turned it as far as it will go, re-tighten jam nut and release governor arm. Now try to run the engine. It'll work great, I guarantee it.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 09:26 PM   #8
DannyO
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Tahoe, the carb is brand new, the oil and filter were changed in the last couple of months. That leaves the spark plug and the air filter to be addressed. I suspect that the problem is the governor, but the clutches didn't sound that great either. The shop also said the gas was bad. My engine has good compression, new carb, and new starter/generator, so I decided to go ahead and replace the clutches, replace the gas, and change the spark plug. Hopefully I'll get it back next week, and this cart will last 4-5 years.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:16 AM   #9
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyO View Post
Thanks Tahoe, the carb is brand new, the oil and filter were changed in the last couple of months. That leaves the spark plug and the air filter to be addressed. I suspect that the problem is the governor, but the clutches didn't sound that great either. The shop also said the gas was bad. My engine has good compression, new carb, and new starter/generator, so I decided to go ahead and replace the clutches, replace the gas, and change the spark plug. Hopefully I'll get it back next week, and this cart will last 4-5 years.
Oh yeah bad gas will definitely cause this... and so will a clogged air filter.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car