lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-04-2010, 06:08 PM   #1
bikernut
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default sounds like a cow bell when starting

I also just noticed that when I go to start the belt slips (new starter/generator belt ordered) but when the belt finally catches the motor starts but it just sits and chugs and it sounds like a cow bell ringing (not a loud bell) and a mouse squeaky sound and the drive doesn't engage but after a bit the drive belt catches and away I go but it doesn't seem to come up to top speed when I depress the pedal to the mat. If I let up a bit on the pedal the cart seems to get some more nut and takes off, any ideas?
bikernut is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-05-2010, 08:34 AM   #2
sfd
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: sounds like a cow bell when starting

Check the bolt holding the clutch on the motor. I bet its loose.

Steve
sfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:17 AM   #3
vzdude
Gone Wild

The noise you describe was just like mine before I had the drive clutch rebuilt by CPP........I never really had the loss of power, but low top end speed because the clutch was sticky and worn and not closing all the way.
vzdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 12:00 PM   #4
bikernut
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

well I just put in 2 new fuel filters, spark plug and changed the starter/generator belt. I took off the drive belt and the noise is still there but I think the cow bell noise is just the centrifugal clutch going in and out. The engine still chugs and doesn't speed up all the time but it does go fast on occasions. If seems like it is running out of fuel as some times half pedal is full speed and mash it to the floor and it goes slower or nearly dies until I bring it back to half pedal or there abouts. Are there any adjustments on the carb, I see none. If there are adjustments where are they and about where should they be set?
Old 10-05-2010, 05:48 PM   #5
vzdude
Gone Wild

There is a basic mixture adjustment on the side nearest the engine. It can be turned by hand and has very little adjustment. The bell noise you hear is definitely the drive clutch. Probably a worn out weight. Call Tom @ Cart Parts Plus - he is a site sponsor and can get you the parts you may need after you take it apart. The engine issue.......sounds like a fuel delivery problem. Are the filters full of fuel when it does it? Do you have a lift on the cart? When I lifted mine, it pinched off the air cleaner hose, causing it to choke the engine for air. Next thing I would check would be the fuel pump and vacuum hose. Make sure the vacuum hose is tight and no leaks.
vzdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 04:09 AM   #6
bikernut
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

fuel filter are full but it is also hard to see if I am driving it and it doesn't respond to pedal pressure. I do know the top filter is full and the lower one looks full also when I stop and check. Being a newbie is the thing by the fuel tank the fuel pump? If it is the fuel pump is there a way to check it like you do with an older car? We used to get a quart in about 15 or 20 seconds in the good old days with our cars. That extra line must be a vacuum line if it is the fuel pump? My cart is stock as all my extra cash goes to my Harley's. Air filter is almost new so it shouldn't be air delivery. I have to fix this soon as my Harleys are getting jealous from lack of attention. thanks
Old 10-06-2010, 06:16 AM   #7
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Sounds like hi speed jet is partial clogged.
You need to pull the carb and give it a good teardown and soak with carb cleaner, blow out and reassemble, should be good to go.

post up some pics of the trike.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:33 AM   #8
bikernut
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

how and where do I post pictures of my trike?
Old 10-10-2010, 10:42 PM   #9
adr
Gone Wild
Club Car

biker..... did you find your problem with the cowbell......... if not you might look at you bolts holding the engine to the cradle....
adr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 06:22 AM   #10
bikernut
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

found the bell sound was just the clutch rattling as my sons snowmobile makes the same noise I found out. thanks
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car