lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-09-2011, 05:27 PM   #1
improveunltd
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default EZ Go Gas

Got a 1984 Marathon - Problem, belts/clutch seems to slip when going up a hill. Motor revs but cart doesn't go faster, just slows down. Both drive & driven clutches seem to work fine - both open up and/or close as motor is run at higher rpm. Currently have a Gates 6314 Belt and this one seems quite loose and when engine is running "full throttle" the belt settles about 3/4 inch from top of both drive and driven clutches. Installed a Dayco HP3004 Belt and this one seem too short. Drive clutch will not turn with out turning the driven clutch.

Should I have a shorter (than Gates 6314) but longer (dayco HP3004) belt? Or is there something else I should do to get the slipping issue stopped?
improveunltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-09-2011, 05:55 PM   #2
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZ Go Gas

The Dayco is the "Short-Belt",Its about 3/4" shorter than stock.Check your clutch condition,you may have a damaged clutch or a broken spring in one of them.Also,is the govenor still hooked up?This can give you a "slipping" feel since its holding back power.See if the Driven-Clutch(axle-mounted) is sliding overly easy,or if the spring is broken.If it is damaged it will open extra easy and let the belt drop too soon and cause slippage.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 07:35 AM   #3
improveunltd
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I don't think that I made myself clear. With the Gates Belt on, and the engine at full speed, the belt is turning both clutches and is positioned at about 3/4" below the exterior of each clutch wheel.

I would think that at max speed, the belt should be positioned differently, like closer to the axel on one clutch (like the drive clutch). Your thoughts?
improveunltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:46 AM   #4
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

The HP3004 is the correct short belt for the car. When it is new it will feel tight and the car may well move a little when starting, however as it beds in and stretches a little that issue will resolve itself. The shorter belt will of course ride higher on the driven clutch and lower on the drive (engine side) clutch, that is the purpose to reduce the gearing and give you better torque and hill climbing ability. This of course is a trade off with top speed. Most folks end up with bigger tires, for example 22x11x8, which then gears up the rear axle and returns the top speed to where it was.
Some EZGO users have also reported problems with the shorter belt and it appears that a tired out driven clutch cannot stand the load of the shorter belt and will open too wide thus compromising the final drive. I suggest that you get it up on axle stands and look to see how far the driven clutch opens with each belt. At the same time look at the governor as Pachanga suggests. My personal view is that a sensible driver does not need a governor. Not that it helps you but I can tell you that with two new clutches and a HP3004 my 1986 positively flies up hills.
BTW this thread seems to have got into the wrong section. You will get a better response if you repost in the EZGO Gas section.
Good Luck
Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:17 AM   #5
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Sorry I just read your second post again. What you are saying is that with either belt on the driven clutch (the one on the axle) only opens enough to drop the belt 3/4 inch. That is not correct and will keep you in a low gear. I suggest that you double check the governor operation and if it is good (ie not operating until the clutch is fully open) remove the dust cover and see if the clutch is binding on dirt or rust.
Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:30 PM   #6
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

If you are running 22" or larger tires,scrap the govenor,you couldn't over-rev it with them if you tried.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:59 PM   #7
rokcrlr
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I have to be a smarty pants here, I didn't know Club car made EZGO marathons?
rokcrlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:39 PM   #8
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Ok,Smarty-Pants!Enlighten us,where does Club-Car come up in all this?
Old 02-13-2011, 09:58 PM   #9
ez go go
Doin' the Wild Thang

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachanga90 View Post
Ok,Smarty-Pants!Enlighten us,where does Club-Car come up in all this?
The only place CC comes up here is in the header... The ez go gassers is one header down on the main page..... Just sayin!
ez go go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:27 PM   #10
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

I Stand CorrectedObviously,None of us can read!

Tags
ez go marathon clutch
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car