lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-30-2011, 11:11 AM   #1
colbyave
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Backfiring Down hill

Have a 1997 Club Car Gas. Been having a little trouble with squealing and hesitation during start up so did the following - New drive belt, 2 fuel filters, oil change, cleaned the carb, new spart plug and blew out the clutch assy. Runs better but I get hesitation when going down hill and the cart reaches full speed and on occasion it backfires. Would this have something to do with the rev suppression? Thanks for looking and responding
colbyave is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-30-2011, 12:41 PM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: Backfiring Down hill

yes its possible, dosn,t mean its the cause but its possible......does it bounce off the rev limitor when running wide open? thats not good for the cart it just means it needs backed off a tad................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 12:53 PM   #3
colbyave
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the help. No it doesn't bounce off the rev limiter at full throttle on flat surfaces but full throttle down hill it feels like it cuts off and if I keep my foot on the gas it picks back up then cuts off again. Sometimes backfires. Never had this trouble before. When I cleaned the carb I didn't take it apart but simply sprayed carb cleaner in the intake (took the air tube off) and had the cart jacked up so I did this while it was running. Is the rev limiter located in the black box next to the battery? I believe the throttle cable threads into this box and thought it would be in there. i never adjusted this before or had this area apart.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:23 PM   #4
invalidsession
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by colbyave View Post
Thanks for the help. No it doesn't bounce off the rev limiter at full throttle on flat surfaces but full throttle down hill it feels like it cuts off and if I keep my foot on the gas it picks back up then cuts off again. Sometimes backfires. Never had this trouble before. When I cleaned the carb I didn't take it apart but simply sprayed carb cleaner in the intake (took the air tube off) and had the cart jacked up so I did this while it was running. Is the rev limiter located in the black box next to the battery? I believe the throttle cable threads into this box and thought it would be in there. i never adjusted this before or had this area apart.

The rpm limiter is located under the front of the engine not in the black box. It's an encapsulated unit around 2 X 3". There is a ground wire to the frame from the limiter (black wire iirc). Remove and insulate the terminal and see how it goes then.
Note of caution here, you have just removed the engine limiter. This, and the rear end governor are the only things that prevent the engine from self destructing. I run mine that way but I use a tach to monitor things and I'm the only driver. Definately not recommended otherwise.

Chris.
invalidsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:30 PM   #5
colbyave
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks Chris. I'll check it out and verify ground. If the unit is encapsulated then it must be a throw away part if it's bad or can I acces it and repair? Also i will not run the cart without the unit as my wife and others drive it so I want the limiter active. Thanks Chris.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:18 PM   #6
invalidsession
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by colbyave View Post
Thanks Chris. I'll check it out and verify ground. If the unit is encapsulated then it must be a throw away part if it's bad or can I acces it and repair? Also i will not run the cart without the unit as my wife and others drive it so I want the limiter active. Thanks Chris.
I've never bothered to take an RPM limiter apart to check the inner workings Colby but I can tell you that there is a fair amount of variation in them. At my golf course you can see one cart running 15 / 20 mph without the limiter kicking in and another might just sneak past 10 mph. It's obviously some anomaly in the tolerances as far as I can tell. The rear end governor will also play a part in the overall top speed and should ideally be set to pull in just before the rpm limiter does. This cuts out that annoying "see-saw" motion but again; it's hit and miss even from the factory. Limiters aren't cheap, if yours proves to be shot I have a couple of them from deregulated carts I have modified for a very reasonable price.

Chris.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:03 AM   #7
colbyave
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Grreat info Chris and yes I will contact you if mine's shot. Funny how this started after I had problems with start up but stuff happens. Didn't get to work on it last evening but will get on it tonight although I did breifly look for a 2" X 3" module as listed above and didn't see it so I will jack her up and look from underneath. Thanks for the help and will post a reply soon on what I find.

Charlie
Old 08-31-2011, 10:16 AM   #8
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

It's #22 in the pic!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg FE290-350 Ignition components.jpg (85.6 KB, 15 views)
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 11:16 AM   #9
invalidsession
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockman1 View Post
It's #22 in the pic!

Nice one Lockman and No 13 is the ground wire

I doubt you will see it from underneath Colby. See if you can a hold of a small mirror and point it back toward the motor from fairly low down. That will help you locate both it and the ground wire. From my experience, removing and replacing the limiter is more of a feel thing than a seeing thing.

Chris.
Old 08-31-2011, 03:29 PM   #10
colbyave
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

OK thanks Chris and Lockman for the exploded view. Shows a lot. Will work on this tonight.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car