lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-29-2015, 08:28 PM   #1
KevinIPA
Not Yet Wild

Default Need some help, cart just died, txt

Hey all,
my first post here and I just got a cart this week. Everything has worked fine and this afternoon while driving uphill I lost power. The radio, lights and horn work, but digital battery gauge went out, charger doesn't come on when plugged in and cart is unresponsive.

Here are the specs that I know. 98 txt with 6" lift and 23 inch tires. 36v, amd 7126 motor, altrax 4844 controller, 400 amp solenoid and 2 gauge wires. What I don't know is if the f/r switch has been upgraded.

Since power loss was so instant, is there something as simple as fuses? Battery shot? F/R switch fried? Cable loose?

I'm a newbie to carts, my background is mostly with motorcycles so electric is foreign but I'm handy enough. Any help to what I should check first would be great help, thanks!
KevinIPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-30-2015, 07:28 AM   #2
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Need some help, cart just died, txt

Check for power at the reed switch in the charger socket. Red wire. Should be pack voltage from there to the negative on the pack.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 08:02 AM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The symptoms point to a bad battery, cable or connection within the battery pack. The working 12V accessories may be powered from a separate 12V battery, or the battery pack might be tapped for 12V in a location not effected by the failure.

What is the voltage between the main positive and main negative terminal on the battery pack?
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 06:25 PM   #4
KevinIPA
Not Yet Wild

Just checked the voltage on the batteries and I'm getting 38.1 with a voltage meter touching those main terminals. I'm not getting anything from the reed switch to a negative on the battery pack. I hope I'm measuring that correctly. Is that a charging socket issue?
Old 08-30-2015, 07:04 PM   #5
KevinIPA
Not Yet Wild

What is this part on the main positive terminal? If I touch the voltage meter anywhere on the left (battery terminal), I get the 38.1 volts, but if I move the meter to the right side I get nothing. Is this some sort of fuse or disconnect? Should I get voltage there?

Thanks for the help and patience!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (159.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-30-2015, 07:13 PM   #6
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Its a fuse, and you must have power on both sides or "no go". Take a look in the window to see if splattered.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 08:47 PM   #7
KevinIPA
Not Yet Wild

Yep, it's blown. Where do I find a replacement for that type? Doesn't look too common. I also wonder why it blew and if that is something that is revealing another problem.

Do all carts have those? Thanks again for the help
Old 08-30-2015, 09:02 PM   #8
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

It is included with a aftermarket Alltrax controller. It could be a sign of a blown controller. But, I have seen them blow from internal flexing of the fuse element. Any "ANN" type 250a fuse will be a suitable replacement. If you get a new fuse and get a "welding arc" when you try to connect it, you do have a major short or a bad controller.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 09:26 PM   #9
KevinIPA
Not Yet Wild

Ok great, I'll grab a new one and get it hooked up. Should I worry about disconnecting anything else when I replace it? Or just take it apart right there?

I'll cross my fingers it was a fuse issue, a bad controller would suck. I'll search locally for the fuse tomorrow. I really appreciate the info.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO