lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-10-2015, 03:18 PM   #21
Bryce23
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: New (to me) 1978 (i think) E-Z-Go Marathon

Sounds Intimidating... hope I don't burn anything down!
Bryce23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-10-2015, 10:49 PM   #22
johnny reb
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

i have a 88 they are fun carts. that does look like a dryer plug. similar to the one on my 69 harley cart. have fun with your new project. btw you can charge the batterys individually or 2 at a time on 12 volt to get it started.
johnny reb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 04:51 PM   #23
Bryce23
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Upon closer inspection I'm pretty sure the batteries are toast. I opened them up and there is lots of buildup inside. I don't imagine they can be brought back. So... What's a decent low/middle end deep cycle battery? I know Trojans are the big deal but at close to 200$ each I think that's out of my range right now. Only reason I'm into this project is that the cart itself was practically free. Battery tray has some rust; might need to replace it in the long run but I'm going to scrape it down and see what's left.

Good news is once I had the batteries out I hooked up the GE motor to a 12v battery charger and got the wheels to turn. That is a good thing right? Will the other electrical components handle 48v? I'm thinking 6-8v; anything to get more torque. What is the top speed for these things stock, 12 mph?

Next step is to break down the body and get some new tires. What's the best tip for stripped screws and wheel nuts that won't budge? The body panels have a few stripped screws and I can't get the wheel nuts to break loose. Also, would a service manual have diagrams on how the body panels fit together?

I'm having fun digging into this. Going to be a fun little project.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-14-2015, 10:18 PM   #24
sailtexas186548
Not Yet Wild

I just priced trojan t-875s and $137 each, you might shop around if they are 200 each where you first looked.

For the wheel but, try soaking them overnight with a penetrating oil like PB BLASTER, kroil, or you can mix acetone and ATF 50/50 and it works very well and it's free if you have some of each laying around. After that if they still won't budge you can heat the nuts red hot, let them cool off most of the way, and then try to remove um.

Stripped screws... Do you have a welder?
sailtexas186548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 06:04 AM   #25
Dsouthw524
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

If the batteries have any life left in them, charge them with automotive charger in groups of two to make them 12 volt. The charger may work with no problem once the voltage on the batteries is enough. the charger will not work with too low a voltage from the pack.

If you replace the batteries, remember they are not auto type batteries. they should be a deep cycle battery and are usually specifically made for repeated use and recharge.
Dsouthw524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 10:55 AM   #26
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Here is a parts manual for 80-82, which should be close enough to a '78 to give you a pretty good idea about how things were put together since EZGO didn't re-invent the wheel every year like the automobile manufacturers of that era did.

The manual also covers the charger you have.
BTW: That charger turns on when the timer is set to ON, so charging the batteries in pairs with a 12V charger to get them up to the minimum voltage that turns the charger on, does not apply since there is no minimum voltage for your charger.

----------
The 36V resistor coils will probably burn out if you applied 48V to them and I'm not sure if there are coils available for a 48V resistor type drive.

To go to 48V, you'll most likely have to convert it to a speed controller system.

------------
As for economy grade batteries, some people have good luck with the offerings from Sam's Club or Costco and the like.

--------
As for stuck threads, I prefer Kano Kroil. Thoroughly drench the stubborn nut/bolt/screw and let it work for several hours.

I usually spray or squirt every threaded fastener that I haven't taken off before and let the Kroil do its magic overnight.

Another "trick" I use is tapping the wrench or screwdriver with a hammer. Not a hard hit, just a sharp blow to send a shock wave through the stubborn threads.

I also use battery powered impact wrenches and drivers. I pick up a 20V Lithium 1/2" drill/driver and 1/4" impact driver set a couple months ago and love them.
Factory-Reconditioned Porter-Cable PCCK604L2R 20V Max Cordless Lithium-Ion Drill Driver and Impact Drill Kit - - Amazon.com Factory-Reconditioned Porter-Cable PCCK604L2R 20V Max Cordless Lithium-Ion Drill Driver and Impact Drill Kit - - Amazon.com

The impact drive only goes up to 120 ft/lb of torque, but that is more than enough for most the things I do and I have 1/2" drive one that runs off 12V and is adjustable up to 240ft/lb for the heavier stuff.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf x-440 & x-444 Golf_Elec_80-82-1.pdf (5.61 MB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 09:20 AM   #27
Bryce23
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Here is a parts manual for 80-82, which should be close enough to a '78 to give you a pretty good idea about how things were put together since EZGO didn't re-invent the wheel every year like the automobile manufacturers of that era did.
Thank you, I appreciate it. Interestingly enough I just walked into work and the guy who sold me the cart managed to find the original (partial) manual from '76. It's missing one whole section and a couple of the pages are photo-copies of the original but for the most part I think the meat of it is still there. I'll have to scan it to PDF so SailTexas can have a copy as well.

Also, I plugged the charger into the wall without hooking it up to batteries and turned the dial. I got a hum like it was working. Can i hook this up to a digital multimeter and see if i get 36 volts?
Attached Images
File Type: png revised%209-76_zpsmqavyexy.png (283.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-16-2015, 09:24 AM   #28
sailtexas186548
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce23 View Post
I'll have to scan it to PDF so SailTexas can have a copy as well.
that would be awesome! pretty cool to find the original manual from '76
sailtexas186548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 03:29 PM   #29
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce23 View Post
Thank you, I appreciate it. Interestingly enough I just walked into work and the guy who sold me the cart managed to find the original (partial) manual from '76. It's missing one whole section and a couple of the pages are photo-copies of the original but for the most part I think the meat of it is still there. I'll have to scan it to PDF so SailTexas can have a copy as well.

Also, I plugged the charger into the wall without hooking it up to batteries and turned the dial. I got a hum like it was working. Can i hook this up to a digital multimeter and see if i get 36 volts?
Love to have a PDF file for my stash of manuals and stuff.

Your charger's output when not connected to a 36V battery pack will be upwards of 64VDC.

Output of the transformer is about 90VAC, but it is center-tapped, so you have a full-wave rectifier circuit being fed 45VAC, which is an RMS voltage, so 45VAC is multiplied by 1.414 to get DC voltage, or 63.63VDC. However, there will be quite a bit of 120Hz ripple on the DC voltage, so most DC voltmeters will read less than that. Also, the capacitively boosted output of the transformer won't even remotely resemble a sine-wave, which will further confuse voltmeters.

The true test is when connected to a 36V battery pack. It will start at whatever voltage the battery pack is at and then, over time, climb to a maximum of about 50V, probably a bit lower. The target voltage is to climb up to about 45V within 12 hours or less.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 06:43 PM   #30
Bryce23
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Here you go guys! Like I said, its not complete but I think most of it is here.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1976 X440 Service Manual_partial.pdf (16.29 MB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO