lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-28-2015, 03:58 AM   #1
Budweisr33
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 36 volt overcharged to 44.2

Cart was plugged in as usual. unplugged for a minute and plugged back in, charger (powerwiseII) started its cycle as usual but I guess it did not shut off as it always has. I came back in garage about 2 hrs later and noticed charger was humming so I unplugged cart and turned key on and volt meter on dash showed 44.2 ,lifted seat and batteries were gurgling a bit. shut seat,scared a bit at this moment for explosion and the $800 dollars I may have lost, at this point I decided to the drive cart to lower the voltage, Man did it go fast. 38.2 is where it sits at after 15 min of rest after drive. I think I shall leave charger off for the night.
Budweisr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-28-2015, 06:34 AM   #2
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 36 volt overcharged to 44.2

While it may vary slightly between 36 volt chargers but bulk and absorption charging is 44.1 volts, while finishing or equalization voltage may go as high as 45.9 volts before shutting off..... Only thing going on here is you put into an equalization charge by unplugging and plugging the charger, this is not harmful to the batteries and is in fact good for them once a month or so. Had the charger been allowed to finish normally your voltage would have returned to 38.2 to 38.4 afterward.
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 09:07 AM   #3
Budweisr33
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Interesting. I unplug it and plug it back in regularly and this has never happened before. Good to know ! Thanks teecro .
So the boiling of the batteries is nothing to worry about?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-28-2015, 09:15 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The batteries do not boil they gas. The production and release of hydrogen gas from the bottom of the batteries does make a 'boiling' sound as the gas bubbles quickly rise to the surface. The bubble displace sediment at the bottom of the cells which remixes much needed elements back into the water. This is a needed part of the maintenance cycle as mentioned earlier.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 09:23 AM   #5
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budweisr33 View Post
Interesting. I unplug it and plug it back in regularly and this has never happened before. Good to know ! Thanks teecro .
So the boiling of the batteries is nothing to worry about?

Gurgling a bit is not boiling.... Some bubbling is to be expected during the bulk/absorption phase as that is where the amps are at their highest point. During equalaztion the voltage gets quite high but the amps have tapered way down....

From here I can't tell you there is nothing wrong with your charger but going by published battery charging info there was nothing truly out of the norm just yet....
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 09:25 AM   #6
Budweisr33
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Wonderful, cheering with joy that all is good. Batteries are only 8 months old. Going to plug back in.

Thanks guys for the advice!

Old 11-28-2015, 10:54 AM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Cart was plugged in as usual. unplugged for a minute and plugged back in, charger (powerwiseII) started its cycle as usual but I guess it did not shut off as it always has.
As mentioned by others, nothing indicates anything abnormal happening with charger or batteries.

My question, is the "unplugged for a minute and plugged back in" something you do quite often, or is it only done about once a month or so?
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 03:05 AM   #8
Budweisr33
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
As mentioned by others, nothing indicates anything abnormal happening with charger or batteries.

My question, is the "unplugged for a minute and plugged back in" something you do quite often, or is it only done about once a month or so?

About once a week.
Old 11-29-2015, 11:01 AM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
About once a week.
That's fine if the cart isn't being used much (Boost charge during storage), but might be too often when the cart is being drive regularly (Equalization charge).
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 08:13 PM   #10
Budweisr33
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Ok thank you for the input. I drive about Once or twice a week for approx 3 miles on flat roads.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO