lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-03-2016, 03:28 PM   #11
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Gettin the Most out of my Cart

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBrown867 View Post
JohnnieB,
1. Thank you for the helpful info. You read the post correct. I would call my cart your "typical hunting cart" with a lift, tires, and rack for carrying animals, extra person, cooler, etc.) I would have liked 22 inch tires better but the guy literally just put these on and I was pleased with the fact that they were only 8 inches wide so less surface area on the ground for the cart to have to rotate. Most buggies I have seen are running 22 inch tires but they are at least 10 inches wide and I was told to try and avoid that. The tires on it are essentially an ATV tire (Sedona Mud Rebel).

2. The guy just replaced the cables when he replaced the batteries (two weeks ago) but as I stated, they are 6 gauge. He also ordered an extra set through ezgo, not sure if they have any value, but I would like to sell them. I do not plan on increasing voltage because of the added cost right now.

3. Does adding one more battery (42V total) really increase my torque noticeably? And if I were to do this, what else has to be done to accommodate the added battery (other than cables)?

4. Say we hold off on the controller right now and just look at the things you stated: HD F/R Switch, HD 400A solenoid, and 2 or 4ga wires... would that increase my torque whatsoever?

5. If it does not, will the controller you recommended plus all the items above do exactly what I am looking for?

6. I know this is a lot but I know you are the person that can answer this and help me trouble shoot and rule out things.
1. Those are low pressure tires (Sedona website lists 7 PSI as max inflation pressure.) That means they will be a bit harder to turn, so that will have to be taken into consideration. (Need more torque)

2. If you have the second set of 6Ga cable, you might be able to double up on the cables and end up with something like 3Ga. I don't know if there is room for two cables on all the studs, but there might be and that would put off buying a new set for a while.

3. Adding one battery would increase the pack voltage by 16.7% and you would see both a torque increase throughout the Torque/RPM curve and a speed increase of about 16.7% You need to upgrade the controller & solenoid to one that will operate at 42V, plus get a 42V battery charger.

4. You'll probably see some torque improvement, but the 275A controller will be a bottleneck, so you won't see much.

5. It ought to come pretty close to it. But you'll probably want to upgrade the motor not too far down the road. Torque is addictive.

6. Thanks for the kind words, but many people here can and will answer your questions with roughly the same information.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-03-2016, 04:34 PM   #12
LBrown867
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

So what I am getting from what you are saying is this:

Double up the wires (since I have two sets if possible)

Buy the controller you recommended which I think Scottyb offers it with the 400A solenoid on his site.

Add either HD F&R Switch or Reverse Contactor
(Do you have a recommendation as to which one I should choose?)

Im not going to add voltage right now because chargers aren't cheap. If my charger craps, I will definitely add it later.

If I do all this, I should be able to get around the woods and hills fine until I get the urge to add voltage and/or a motor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
1. Those are low pressure tires (Sedona website lists 7 PSI as max inflation pressure.) That means they will be a bit harder to turn, so that will have to be taken into consideration. (Need more torque)

2. If you have the second set of 6Ga cable, you might be able to double up on the cables and end up with something like 3Ga. I don't know if there is room for two cables on all the studs, but there might be and that would put off buying a new set for a while.

3. Adding one battery would increase the pack voltage by 16.7% and you would see both a torque increase throughout the Torque/RPM curve and a speed increase of about 16.7% You need to upgrade the controller & solenoid to one that will operate at 42V, plus get a 42V battery charger.

4. You'll probably see some torque improvement, but the 275A controller will be a bottleneck, so you won't see much.

5. It ought to come pretty close to it. But you'll probably want to upgrade the motor not too far down the road. Torque is addictive.

6. Thanks for the kind words, but many people here can and will answer your questions with roughly the same information.
LBrown867 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 09:10 AM   #13
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

That is basically what I'm saying.

If you can double up on the 6Ga cables, it will be more efficient than 4Ga, but not quite as efficient as 2Ga.

With the stock controller and solenoid turning 23" low pressure tires, the cart won't climb anything that resembles a hill. With a higher ampacity controller and solenoid, it'll do better on the hills, but for climbing red clay hills with those tires, you'll probably want more oomph, so install stuff that will work at a higher pack voltage at a later date.

36V now and higher pack voltage later might be an issue for a reversing contactor. I'm not sure if ones that operate at multiple voltages are are available.
Old 02-04-2016, 10:49 AM   #14
LBrown867
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

So if I am considering increasing voltage by 6-12 amps in the future, go with a HD F&R switch instead of the contactor...but if I do not increase voltage, then your saying go with the reversing contactor?

Also, will the SPM48500 controller be compatible with 42V? I am pretty sure I read that it is a 36-48V controller but didn't know if that was a range between the two or just 36 or 48V.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
That is basically what I'm saying.

If you can double up on the 6Ga cables, it will be more efficient than 4Ga, but not quite as efficient as 2Ga.

With the stock controller and solenoid turning 23" low pressure tires, the cart won't climb anything that resembles a hill. With a higher ampacity controller and solenoid, it'll do better on the hills, but for climbing red clay hills with those tires, you'll probably want more oomph, so install stuff that will work at a higher pack voltage at a later date.

36V now and higher pack voltage later might be an issue for a reversing contactor. I'm not sure if ones that operate at multiple voltages are are available.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:39 AM   #15
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBrown867 View Post
So if I am considering increasing voltage by 6-12 amps in the future, go with a HD F&R switch instead of the contactor...but if I do not increase voltage, then your saying go with the reversing contactor?

Also, will the SPM48500 controller be compatible with 42V? I am pretty sure I read that it is a 36-48V controller but didn't know if that was a range between the two or just 36 or 48V.
LBrown. the SPM48500 WILL work at 36v or 42v or 48v.....

as for the Reversing Contactors.....they come in either 36v or 48v configuration.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 12:39 PM   #16
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Sir Nuke nailed it.

SPM48xxx works from 24V through 48V.
SPM72xxx works from 24V through 72V.

The Super Duty solenoid (400A/1000A) works from 36V through 48V.

Reversing contactors are voltage specific. Either 36V or 48V (I'm not sure is they exist for 42V)

The mechanical F/R switch is not voltage specific.

Battery chargers are voltage specific. (However, a 42V DPI Accusense charger can be converted to 48V by replacing the 42V output board with a 48V output board, or vice versa.)
Old 02-04-2016, 03:41 PM   #17
mutant
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

i have the exact same cart as you.i have 36v, 2g cables,H/D solenoid,H/D f-r switch(stiff operation but good if i switch voltage)...

the controller is the next upgrade-if you want a jump in torque-i would definitely do it....my torque increased with my upgrades-but not alot....your big tires + offroading alot will require it,imo....

welcome to the addiction!!
mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 10:06 AM   #18
LBrown867
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

It is looking like I am saving for the SPM 48500 w/ 400A solenoid and HD F&R Switch. It doesn't appear that there is any way around it if I want torque and reliability out of my cart. Right now, when I climb a little hill and it struggles, I immediately back off so I don't fry anything. I don't want that to have to even cross my brain after these upgrades!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutant View Post
i have the exact same cart as you.i have 36v, 2g cables,H/D solenoid,H/D f-r switch(stiff operation but good if i switch voltage)...

the controller is the next upgrade-if you want a jump in torque-i would definitely do it....my torque increased with my upgrades-but not alot....your big tires + offroading alot will require it,imo....

welcome to the addiction!!
Old 02-08-2016, 10:23 AM   #19
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Attached is one of the install sheets I supply with the reversing contactor kits. The instruction shows how to use a 36v reversing contactor in a 48v system.

8/6v batteries are used in the drawing for illustration purposes. The same principle can be used for 6/8v battery pack using the negative from the 4th battery to access 32v to activate the 36v coils. (magnetic coils prefer slightly lower voltage than higher voltage for activation)
It's okay for 48 volts to run through the large contacts as long as the activation coils see only 36v.

In all cases the reversing contactor is a heavier duty better switching device than the rotary F&R. The contactors have higher quality silver contacts with magnetic blowouts which prevent contact degrading.

You can find more diagrams like this & read more about reversing contactors here > http://www.cartsunlimited.net/reversing-contactors.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0.2R_C diode install.JPG (287.1 KB, 0 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 11:35 AM   #20
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I stand corrected.

There are ways of running a 36V reversing contactor with 42V and 48V battery packs.

Tags
battery, solenoid, switch, torque
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO