lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-10-2016, 07:37 AM   #1
birddog5
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Early 2000's TXT Rough Ride

Need some help - I've got a early 2000's txt that is bone stock - does have rims and tires but "normal sized".

My issue is that it rides like a lumber wagon - it doesn't even try to ride nice - every bump is spine jarring. The suspension works (I bounced it) so nothing is locked up - but its really really rough....

I only use the cart for golfing and getting to and from the course - and its almost unbearable. Could it be shock? too much tire pressure? I'm kind of at a loss here
birddog5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-10-2016, 07:51 AM   #2
Clemsoncartguy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Early 2000's TXT Rough Ride

Is this your cart since new? Could a previous owner put HD springs on it? Are your tires over pressurized?
Clemsoncartguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 07:51 AM   #3
kab69440
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Your shocks are likely dead. You're also likely to find your kingpin bushings severely worn or non-existant. Same with your leaf spring bushings. Stuff seemingly wasn't designed for durability or longevity!
kab69440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 08:24 AM   #4
birddog5
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab69440 View Post
Your shocks are likely dead. You're also likely to find your kingpin bushings severely worn or non-existant. Same with your leaf spring bushings. Stuff seemingly wasn't designed for durability or longevity!
bought used - might be HD springs - not sure how to verify? What tire pressure should I be running? I'm sure I filled them to what was on the tire.

Just replaced the spring bushings - terrible squeak - $24 and 15 minutes later its silent. I supposed I can try shocks next, it's not overly bouncy - more like direct banging.

What's a king pin bushing? #cartnewbie
Old 05-10-2016, 09:58 AM   #5
Helirich
Gone Wild

I would look at shocks. Just unbolt them and move them by hand. If there's no resistance, their dead. The rear springs are HD if they have three or four leafs. But you said stock, so I doubt that. I will tell you that low pressure, off road balloon tires ride nicer than stock.

Edit, also you might check if the springs have sagged. If they don't have any travel, it's going to ride rough.
Helirich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 10:28 AM   #6
birddog5
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
I would look at shocks. Just unbolt them and move them by hand. If there's no resistance, their dead. The rear springs are HD if they have three or four leafs. But you said stock, so I doubt that. I will tell you that low pressure, off road balloon tires ride nicer than stock.

Edit, also you might check if the springs have sagged. If they don't have any travel, it's going to ride rough.

I'll double check the shocks and the number of leaf springs tonight if I can.

what are we considering low pressure? 5-10 psi? I think I'm twice that for sure.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:48 AM   #7
kab69440
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

There is a long vertical bolt that ties your spindles to the weldment. If you remove that bolt, you will find a thin plastic bushing that isolates the metal surfaces from one another.
Old 05-10-2016, 12:04 PM   #8
Helirich
Gone Wild

Quote:
There is a long vertical bolt that ties your spindles to the weldment. If you remove that bolt, you will find a thin plastic bushing that isolates the metal surfaces from one another.
While a warn King pin bushing might make noise or handling issues, I don't see it making much difference in the ride.
Helirich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 12:27 PM   #9
kab69440
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

That little bit of slop from a disintegrated bushing will in fact exacerbate jounce from pavement imperfections and cause quite a bit of intolerable rattling. It also makes the steering feel sloppy and unresponsive. I bet you're wondering how I know that, aren't you? Haha!
Old 05-10-2016, 01:02 PM   #10
birddog5
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
That little bit of slop from a disintegrated bushing will in fact exacerbate jounce from pavement imperfections and cause quite a bit of intolerable rattling. It also makes the steering feel sloppy and unresponsive. I bet you're wondering how I know that, aren't you? Haha!
Those don't really sound like my symptoms though - I'll check it out for sure!

I've got more of a hay wagon thing going on. Every bump is like it is a hardtail. Steering is pretty tight still and no real 'grandpas old cadiliac' bounce going on. More like a 'make sure you slow way down for any bump you have to hit straight on' thing

Tags
electric, ride, rough
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO