lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-02-2016, 10:02 PM   #1
scjpoly
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default EZGO Doesn't Move

I have a 2006 EZGO TXT,(PDS according to the picture posted as a sticky). I charge the batteries until the charger shuts off, the charger gets very hot. The batteries read 36.5 volts. When I turn the key to the on position and flip the switch to Fwd or Rev the battery meter comes on and shows low to dead batteries. I do hear the click when I put the switch in fwd or rev. When I push on the pedal the cart does not move & no sounds. I drove the cart a couple of weeks ago and is was running good then seemed like it was running out of juice until it would not move. I can also turn on the head lights and push the horn. The lights do not dim and the horns sounds off loud and normal. Puzzled...
scjpoly is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-02-2016, 10:51 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZGO Doesn't Move

Sounds like the batteries are in desperate need of a charge
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 06:42 AM   #3
Filthy-Beast
Not Yet Wild

If they read 36.5 after a charge, you've got a problem. Mine read 38.4 after a charge. I never let mine get to 36.5 before I charge them. Have you checked the water level? What was the voltage before charging?
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 08:44 AM   #4
scjpoly
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Yes, the water level is full. I didnt check the voltage before charging. When this started the cart came off of the charger, we drove it around the block and the last 1/4 of the drive it started slowing down until it came to a crawl in the driveway. The battery meter read dead at that point. I put it on charge and the problem started.

It has been on the charger all night. I just went out and the charger is off, the battery meter shows full charge. It clicks when I turn it on and put it in FWD. Now when I step on the pedal it clicks but does not move. I am on my way to purchase a battery load tester. I have a feeling that one battery might bed reading properly but dies under load. Thanks...
Old 07-03-2016, 09:01 AM   #5
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

What you need is a DVM to check your batteries out cheaper...Also can be used to check different voltages when trying to troubleshoot a golf cart.
usgicollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 09:34 AM   #6
scjpoly
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

The batteries charged to 37.5 volts. I removed the cover on the controller and checked connections. All of them are tight. I left the cover off and decided to try it, this time it moves. I checked the wires for splits or grounding/shorting and didn't see anything. I put the cover back on and it was dead again. I removed the cover once more and it moves.
I am guessing but it kind if seems like the Run/Tow switch is hitting something when the cover is on but not sure. I put the cover back on using just the two top bolts and it runs. I would still like to find what is causing it so I can properly repair it.
I decided to test run it and went 200 yards. I came back, put the charger on it. The charger turned on and ran for over an hour. Did a 200 yard run drain the batteries that much?
Has anyone had this issue in the past?
Thanks...
Old 07-04-2016, 09:37 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scjpoly View Post
Yes, the water level is full. I didnt check the voltage before charging. When this started the cart came off of the charger, we drove it around the block and the last 1/4 of the drive it started slowing down until it came to a crawl in the driveway. The battery meter read dead at that point. I put it on charge and the problem started.

It has been on the charger all night. I just went out and the charger is off, the battery meter shows full charge. It clicks when I turn it on and put it in FWD. Now when I step on the pedal it clicks but does not move. I am on my way to purchase a battery load tester. I have a feeling that one battery might bed reading properly but dies under load. Thanks...
Do not buy a battery load tester for the golf cart. The cart motor is the best load tester you can get. Get a multimeter and connect to the pack. Note the voltage then try to go and note the drop in voltage. That's your test
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 01:21 PM   #8
Clemsoncartguy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scjpoly View Post
I have a 2006 EZGO TXT,(PDS according to the picture posted as a sticky). I charge the batteries until the charger shuts off, the charger gets very hot. The batteries read 36.5 volts. When I turn the key to the on position and flip the switch to Fwd or Rev the battery meter comes on and shows low to dead batteries. I do hear the click when I put the switch in fwd or rev. When I push on the pedal the cart does not move & no sounds. I drove the cart a couple of weeks ago and is was running good then seemed like it was running out of juice until it would not move. I can also turn on the head lights and push the horn. The lights do not dim and the horns sounds off loud and normal. Puzzled...
cause ad your voltage and meter states your batteries are dead!
Clemsoncartguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 01:25 PM   #9
Clemsoncartguy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Your batteries are weak or you have a bad battery or two. Only charging to 37.5 is a sign. That's only like 80% . And a charger running for an hour after a 200 yard run sounds normal. Remember it starts high then tapers the charge down really low before it if finially cuts off
Clemsoncartguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 10:29 PM   #10
scjpoly
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Since I took the controller cover off and put it back on with only 2 screws and charged again, the cart did good on a test 4 times around the neighborhood.
I am thinking the Run/Tow switch is pushing on something causing the problem. I have decided that I will 3D print another cover that is larger so the switch cannot hit anything.

Thank you to everyone that replied. All of your comments have helped.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO