lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-16-2016, 08:34 PM   #1
Filthy-Beast
Not Yet Wild

Question Reverse contactor bad ?

I've got the 182 reversing conntactor, I think the reverse side might be locked closed.

I've got it wired like this

With the F/R switch in reverse it goes in reverse
The F/R switch in neutral it goes in reverse
F/R switch in forward it won't move at all.

I swapped diodes in case one was bad but no change.

If I reverse S1 and S2 then it only goes in forward. So what ever is connected to the reverse side work with the switch in neutral or reverse. I can also disconnect all wires from the F/R switch to the contactor and it still goes.

when I switch to forward I can hear the forward solenoid on the reversing contactor clack. I do not hear a clack from the other solenoid when I switch it to reverse.

The web site say the 182 HD contactor for up to 500a and the super duty for 500+. However the 182 HD contactor says 200a on it's sticker and this post from ScottyB contradicts the website also say 200a. I have FSIP controller capable of 500amps?
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-16-2016, 08:38 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Reverse contactor bad ?

My post does not contradict the site. Amperage flow and controller rating are 2 different things.

You need to regroup - you have the activation circuit messed up. I can't say how because I can't see the install and you haven't told us yet what you have done wrong. But it's in the small wires. I hope this helps.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 08:42 PM   #3
Clemsoncartguy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Study your diagram. It's a pain in the but but install it and then go back through it and trace every wire to be sure. I installed mine by the diagram and was pretty sure I was right. Before I went to turn it on and I was tracing wires I found some wires opposite of where they need to be. I'm sure you have some wires swapped or left off somewhere?
Clemsoncartguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 09:29 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemsoncartguy View Post
Study your diagram. It's a pain in the but but install it and then go back through it and trace every wire to be sure. I installed mine by the diagram and was pretty sure I was right. Before I went to turn it on and I was tracing wires I found some wires opposite of where they need to be. I'm sure you have some wires swapped or left off somewhere?
This is confusing and repetitive advice not needed.
Old 07-16-2016, 11:07 PM   #5
Filthy-Beast
Not Yet Wild

Diagram 1.

Diagram 2.

What's the difference between these? Any preference?

I've tried both ways.

Here's why I think it's the solenoid on the reverse contactor.

If I disconnect every wire from the contactor, (using the numbers in your diagram to identify posts on the contactor) if I read the ohms from 4 to 5 it's closed and from 4 to 8 is open. Shouldn't 4 to 5 also be open?

With diodes in place if I provide pack negative to the bottom connection and pack positive to the top connection on the forward side I hear a nice loud clack and 8 to 4 is now closed.

Even with nothing wired to the reverse side, 4 to 5, stays closed. When I apply pack negative and positive to the reverse side I hear a very faint click not the nice loud clack the forward side makes.
Old 07-16-2016, 11:33 PM   #6
Filthy-Beast
Not Yet Wild

Believe me I thought I might have wired something wrong. I have triple checked and even had my son who was in aviation electronic repair for the Marine Corp for 10yrs double check it for me also.
Old 07-17-2016, 06:52 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

We have not had a new unit fail out of the box but it's electronics - it could happen. We will replace the unit if we can confirm the unit is defective using a simple bench test where we put 36 or 48 volts to the activation circuit on each side with a continuity alarm clamped to the main terminals.

Return the unit to me for service or replacement.
My shipping address is on the website.
Include a note with your name and shipping address and the product problem
Old 07-17-2016, 10:51 AM   #8
Filthy-Beast
Not Yet Wild

Ok will take communication on the return to email.

question to see if I understand this correctly.

A1 always gets positive and A2 always gets negative?

the two diagrams above change if the we are switching negative side or positive side flow through S1 / S2?

Depending on the position of the switch one of the S terminals is connected to an A terminal and the other S terminal is connect to the feed from the controller?

Is there a preference on whether the positive side or the negative side is switched via the F/R?

I ask because the all the wiring diagrams with my FSIP controller show negative being switched.

Currently I have M- directly to A2 and I'm switching B+ to A1. If I reinstall the old F/R switch should I swap the wires around so that B+ goes directly to A1 and I switch M- to A2?
Old 07-17-2016, 01:18 PM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The diagram shows the positive being switched at the F&R.
The FSIP control is no different than any other series control and it should be wired as shown.

What year ezgo cart is the installation in? Can you post any pics of the install?
Old 07-17-2016, 01:38 PM   #10
Filthy-Beast
Not Yet Wild

It's a 91 Marathon. This is the original install as I got the cart, with A running to A2 and C running to M-, B+ running to A1

right now nothing is installed as I pulled the reversing kit. A is now running to A1 and C is running to B+, M- running to A2

So my question is does it matter to the controller or motor whether B+ or M- off the controller is running to the F/R switch?

total view, original install:
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO