lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-21-2016, 08:19 PM   #1
MattFX4
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Input on disc brake kit

So, my txt that is lifted, and 23" tires will not stop worth a dang. I am tired of worrying about blowing through a stop sign, and getting creamed while I have my wife and 21 month old son on the cart with me. I have to plan ahead when I know I am going to be stopping, and rely on the crappy factory brakes. Will the Ausco kit from Scotty solve my problems? Anyone here have this kit installed that can provide reviews?
MattFX4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-21-2016, 08:23 PM   #2
Clemsoncartguy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Input on disc brake kit

It should give you way better results. But have you checked your brakes and checked the specs of everything to see of the drum and shoes fall in specs and that there adjusted?

I also have 23" tires and 23mph top on flat ground. Brakes are not as good as when on stock tires but nothing close to making me think I will blow through a stop sign esp since you know it's there or can see it coming up?
Clemsoncartguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 08:32 PM   #3
MattFX4
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

no, I admit I have not checked but this is a 2003 model cart that I bought, and rebuilt from the frame up. Brakes are the one thing I did not check. There is a good chance they are wore out given the year of the cart. I GPS'ed it the other day and will run 28 mph. Sort of scary when running those speeds, and you need to stop quickly. Maybe I will start with inspecting the brakes, and from there.
Old 07-22-2016, 07:59 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

My cart will do 28+ also, but 10" or larger rims are needed to install disk brakes and my rims are only 8", so I have to make do with drum brakes and regen braking.

My stock drum brakes can slide the rear tires when I push on the brake pedal hard enough, so I'm not sure what improvement I would receive from rear disk brakes even if they could be installed with 8" rims. Granted, disk brakes are better than drum brakes in many ways, but none, or at least not many, of those advantages apply to use on a relatively light weight, relatively slow vehicle, not routinely being driven through mud puddles.

The biggest gain in stopping power is obtained by installing brakes on the front tires.

FWIW: I'll never install a lift in my cart, but I might go to slightly taller tires with larger rims and if I do, I'll probably only install front wheel dick brakes and stick with rear drums.

-------------
My tires are only 17" tall and I'm not sure if stock drum brakes will slide your 23" tall tires, or if the disk brakes kits for golf cart will either.

BTW: To adjust the stock drum brakes, drive cart forward at speed, push as hard as you can on pedal and them release before cart stops moving.
Repeat until rear tires will slide.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 08:29 AM   #5
Helirich
Gone Wild

I have 24" tires and the cart will do 28 mph. When I first got it to go fast, I thought the brakes were no good. But I adjusted them and they are ok. I can't lock them up, but there is no chance of "blowing through a stop sign".

I still like the idea of disc and will probably go that route when my hubs strip. I think if you really want more brakes, you should get front disc. Although I don't know of any "bolt on" options.
Helirich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 08:36 AM   #6
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

I too am running 23" tires.....and I too built/rebuilt my cart from the ground up.....including the factory brakes. I upgraded the entire drive system and my cart runs 27 mph all out on flat ground and I can LOCK THEM UP at a dead run.

when you rebuild the brakes.....you need to clean EVERYTHING, a lot of people do nothing more than put new shoes on and call it good. Then I adjusted them just like the manual states, they work like a champ!
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 08:37 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The trouble with front disc/rear drum braking systems is the front is always stopping harder than the rear which is okay on straight dry pavement but, add any adverse condition and the front breaks loose before the rear which can be dangerous. The auto industry did this in the 1980s and by 1990 they stopped.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 08:56 AM   #8
Helirich
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
The trouble with front disc/rear drum braking systems is the front is always stopping harder than the rear which is okay on straight dry pavement but, add any adverse condition and the front breaks loose before the rear which can be dangerous. The auto industry did this in the 1980s and by 1990 they stopped.
The issue you speak of is not limited to front disc/rear drum. It's because of weight transfer during braking that the front has better traction. If you look at new cars, they have smaller discs in the rear to help with this issue. They also use a proportional valve in the rear brake line.

BTW, my 1990 Bronco has disc/drum and it works great. Broncos used disc/drum till 96'. (Last year)
Helirich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 09:38 AM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Is that a correction (?)
I think my point is still a valid concern. If you are traveling near 30 mph in an light golf cart through a turn on a wet street and you slam on the brakes I think you are going to spin, based upon my years of driving in the rain, snow, and sanded pavement.

Just trying to help - not looking to validate your old car. Just saying this combination of front disc / rear drum has fallen out of favor in automotive production today
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 12:07 PM   #10
MattFX4
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

thanks for the input guys. I should of never cut corners when building this cart. I went through everything except the rear axel. I will tear the breaks down, clean, replace pads, and adjust. Hopefully that will give me the stopping power I am looking for. If not, then I will order the disc break kit.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO