lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-24-2016, 12:24 PM   #1
1arunem
Gone Wild

Default Help me fix my mistake please

1998 EZGO TXT 36 volt..

I just had to mess with a perfectly running cart...hahaha...

Was in the process of changing out battery level meter (cheap Amazon unit) with a digital gauge. It is tied into my key switch with a ground running from the battery pack. Well, when I unhooked the wires, I accidently let the hot from the key switch and ground from the battery pack touch. It was very brief but caused an arc.

Now I have no response from the pedal. Yesterday I still had 39 volts at the switch (both sides when turned on). The switch has a blue and green wire. The blue is power and the green is switched. Today I have no power to the switch (not sure what happened overnight.)
I get no solenoid click or anything..

Please provide primary areas to check and hopefully diagnostic method.
Fuses??

Thanks!!
1arunem is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-24-2016, 12:51 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Help me fix my mistake please

Since you have Blue and Green wires to the keyswitch, you probably have a series drive cart rather than a sepex drive (DCS) cart.

With the key on and a direction selected, check the voltage on the Blue wire when you press the pedal.
I suspect it will drop to near zero.

Shorting the blue wire (B+) to ground (B-) caused a very high current to flow through two low current switches and the voltage you read at the keyswitch now is probably due to the conductive debris left behind when the contacts vaporized.

It will pass enough current to get a reading with a high impedance voltmeter, but won't pass enough current to energize the solenoid.

The switches are the reed switch in the charge receptacle and the run switch (MS-2) on the F/R assembly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wiring Diagram - Series with KSI traced.JPG (58.9 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 01:18 PM   #3
1arunem
Gone Wild

I am not seeing any voltage at the green and blue wires now. You are correct it is a Series cart, sorry for not mentioning that earlier. FWIW, the charger with still turn on and charge as it should. Does this lend any information as to whether the Reed switch in the receptacle is bad?

Where might I get the MS2 switch? Is it possible that it got MS4 as well since it is tied in with MS2?

Any way to narrow down which are bad?
Old 07-24-2016, 01:31 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The reed switch disables the cart when the charger is plugged in, but has no effect on battery charging.

Start by measuring the voltage on the smaller of the three wires coming out of the back of the charge receptacle. Should be pack voltage when charger isn't plugged into cart.

Reed switch can be bypassed. See attached picture.

Next measure voltage on blue wire at MS-2. With a direction selected on F/R, you should have pack voltage.

-------------

MS-4 ought to be okay. The current path of the short didn't go through it.

In any case, whether good or bad, MS-4 is not needed to run cart. All it does is sound the reverse beeper and put the controller in 1/2 speed for reverse.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ezgo Reed Switch bypass.jpg (169.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-24-2016, 01:53 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

MS2 is likely culprit since it was the first device in the line of fire when the short occurred. It is the driver side F&R micro switch where you will find the other end of the KS blue wire
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 02:48 PM   #6
1arunem
Gone Wild

Okay, thanks guys and keep the suggestions coming. I have no power on the small red to white wire coming out of the charger receptacle. I also have no power on the blue wire at MS2.

As a side note (and possibly unrelated) I have no power on the small terminal of the solenoid with the red wires that go to MS3.
Old 07-24-2016, 03:43 PM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1arunem View Post
Okay, thanks guys and keep the suggestions coming.

1. I have no power on the small red to white wire coming out of the charger receptacle.

2. I also have no power on the blue wire at MS2.

3. As a side note (and possibly unrelated) I have no power on the small terminal of the solenoid with the red wires that go to MS3.
3. The power that feeds MS-3 comes from MS-2.
2. The power that feeds MS-2 comes from small wire coming out of the charge receptacle.
1. The power that feeds the small wire coming out of the charge receptacle come from the reed switch inside the charge receptacle.

FIRST, fix the reed switch (Bypass as shown in picture I posted), THEN check voltage at MS-2 and fix as required, THEN check voltage from MS-3.
Old 07-24-2016, 05:54 PM   #8
1arunem
Gone Wild

Thanks Johnnie B and ScottyB.. I am back up and running. I had power going to the charger receptacle (large white wire) but none coming out of the small wire. That being said I performed the bypass you recommended and viola, power back everywhere it should be and we are running again.

THANK YOU very much. I like to be a do it yourselfer as much as I can and you guys played a great part in that.

Can't thank you enough. My son is in the yard riding and enjoying it as I type.

I went ahead and changed out the gauge (How this whole fiasco started) as well as wiring in some additional LED's for riding at night.
Old 07-24-2016, 06:11 PM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Glad to hear you got it going.

Might be a good idea to go ahead and get a MS-2 switch. It got hit hard also and may fail in near future.
Old 07-24-2016, 06:55 PM   #10
1arunem
Gone Wild

Where is the best place to source?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO