lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-24-2016, 11:31 AM   #11
crushing
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 97 36 volt EzGo TXT loses power on inclines

Ok rabbit I got ya. Did u see where I add to my post that a couple days ago I removed my wheels and put on a buddies factory size wheels and tires and nothing changed. The speed and power was the exact same
crushing is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-24-2016, 11:46 AM   #12
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

because the damage to a controller is cumulative. once you start damaging it by asking more of it than it was designed to produce, you start doing damage. That is one of the reasons I said the controller also needs replacement.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 12:06 PM   #13
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

One problem in just about everyone of your battery post connections is the order of the lugs.

You need to place the highest current carrying lug first, so it makes full contact with the battery post lead base.

The way you have it now will not only limit the current but possible heat up and melt the battery posts.

You would then stack the other smaller gauge ring connectors on top of the main lug.

The strand count does not affect the current carrying capacity, just the flexibility of the cable.

Those cable ends that are hammered don't make a good connection.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 12:31 PM   #14
NoleFan
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Good looking cart. Those tires look pretty big in the angle of the picture, what size are they?

Also, did you paint the cart, or was it like that?
NoleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 12:58 PM   #15
crushing
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

20160509_200146.jpg

The tires are 22x11.8 and I painted it myself. This is a pic of what I started with. Got the cosmetic stuff done on it and now just trying to get it to run right
Old 11-08-2016, 12:07 PM   #16
crushing
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Ok JohnnieB like I said I am new to all this stuff so I hope these are not dumb questions.
1) So you are saying that fully charged is 38.2 volts. So when the charger pulled in and it shows 38.2 it is fine? Cause that is what mine shows and after I unplug it it drops down to about what u said 36.2 or 36.3 on the dash meter.
But even when it says 36.2 at rest as soon as I hit the gas it drops to about 34. something.

2) So you are saying that I need to replace all my wires including the welding lead wires to the motor and put all 4 or 2 gauge on it?

3) And about the tire size no matter if it is my tires ( which I just looked again and they are 21 inch not 23 like I said before) or my buddies 18 inch it does the same. With either set on it does not have enough power to drive up a tilt bed trailer.

4) And I fixed the stacking of the ring terminals like u said.

5) And the two things I am using for a 12V acc. is the meter on the dash and the lights and I don't use the lights.

So what do u subject I try next?
Old 11-08-2016, 12:07 PM   #17
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Wow, after reading through this thread I believe every electrical component in the high current circuit is suspect and there may be mechanical issues also.

I also believe there are multiple issues rather than a single problem causing the poor cart performance.

Starting with the basics:
Does the cart push easily by hand?
What is the battery pack voltage (using handheld DVM) 12 hours after charger shuts off? (Should be 38.2V)
What are the individual battery voltages? (Should be 6.37V and all six ought to be within 0.1V of the rest)
What is the battery pack voltage while climbing hill?
What is Voltage between the controller's B- and B+ terminals while climbing same hill?
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 12:41 PM   #18
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by crushing View Post
Ok JohnnieB like I said I am new to all this stuff so I hope these are not dumb questions.
1) So you are saying that fully charged is 38.2 volts. So when the charger pulled in and it shows 38.2 it is fine? Cause that is what mine shows and after I unplug it it drops down to about what u said 36.2 or 36.3 on the dash meter.
But even when it says 36.2 at rest as soon as I hit the gas it drops to about 34. something.

2) So you are saying that I need to replace all my wires including the welding lead wires to the motor and put all 4 or 2 gauge on it?

3) And about the tire size no matter if it is my tires ( which I just looked again and they are 21 inch not 23 like I said before) or my buddies 18 inch it does the same. With either set on it does not have enough power to drive up a tilt bed trailer.

4) And I fixed the stacking of the ring terminals like u said.

5) And the two things I am using for a 12V acc. is the meter on the dash and the lights and I don't use the lights.

So what do u subject I try next?
Looks like we posted at same time.

1. The on-charge voltage will typically climb up to about 45.0V (or higher - depending on charger type) before the charger shuts off. Once the charger shuts off, the voltage starts dropping and after about 12 hours it should stabilizes at 38.2V (newer batteries will be higher, older batteries will be lower and various brands have different 100% SoC voltages - your batteries are Trojan clones, so it ought to be 38.2V)

If your batteries are dropping down to 36.xV, they are not being fully charged. You might have a charger issue.

Dropping under load is normal. In and of six batteries themselves, a 36V battery pack drops about 1.0V per 100A of current draw. The high current cables, contacts and connectors have resistance and at best will add another 1.0V/100A, or so, of voltage drop. (or at least that is the best I can get from my setup and it is pretty efficient)

2. Yes. Or at least replace all the high current cables that haven't already been replaced with cables equal or better than the new (Red?) ones. There are 13 high current cables in your cart and all should be at least 4Ga. Since you are running tall tires at 36V, the amp draw will be higher than it is if you were running 42V or 48V, so 2Ga would be better. In a nutshell, overkill is underrated for high current cables and solenoid contacts.

3. If the cart doesn't have enough torque to to climb onto the trailer with 18" tires, it most definitely won't with 21" tires.

With 21" tall tires, the torque loss is 14.3% and the speed gain is 16.7%.

5. Keep a close eye on the individual battery voltages, if the start to vary more the 0.1V, do an equalization charge, which is to start a charge cycle on fully charged batteries. If the wo batteries being used for 12V are lower then the rest, give them a boost charge with a 12V charger, you don't have to disconnect the cables.
Old 11-09-2016, 06:47 PM   #19
crushing
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Hey Johnnie after reading ur last reply I realized that I guess I was not charging thr batteries all the way. With the cart being 36 volt when it got to around 38 I would unplug it. So today I pugged it up and when it got to 43.2 volts I noticed the water in the batteries were boiling. I could hear them boil so is that normal to be able to hear them boil?
Old 11-10-2016, 09:52 AM   #20
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The "boiling" you hear is called gassing and is normal.

The water in the electrolyte decomposes into hydrogen and oxygen gasses when an electric current passes through it. (If you remember your 7th grade chemistry, the process is called Electrolysis) Molecules of those gases collect on the plates, were they form bubbles and raise to the surface of the liquid.

Electrolysis is the reason batteries use water during normal operation. Use distilled water only to replace it.

Let the charge run until it shuts itself off.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO