lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-10-2017, 04:55 PM   #1
Tj4orange
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 86 Marathon project

I've had this 86 marathon for a few years. I've just drove it around the lake as is, just kind of settling. Over the years we added the rear seat and put new batteries about a year and half ago.

I finally decided to do some upgrades and repairs the last couple of weeks. I thought I'd share my experiences for my own record keeping and who knows, maybe somebody else might benifit?! Please feel free to chime in with any questions comments or concerns!

Pulled the rear seat and some of the motor cover panel and bag well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tj4orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-10-2017, 05:06 PM   #2
Tj4orange
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 86 Marathon project

I pulled the motor out. I thought it was kinda cool that it was made right here in my home town of Fort Wayne. I took it over to Electrical Motor Products, which is about 15 minutes down the road. Super nice folks! Family owned and run. Spent about a hour just talking with the owner Chuck. The guy has forgot more knowledge than I've ever known! Discussed what I was looking for motor performance wise and he showed me my options. Being that the lake are we are at has a pretty strictly enforced 5ish mph max speed, I wasn't looking to speed it up. Being that the family and I are tons of fun and hills are all over, I was more concerned with torque and "umpf". He's gonna do some upgrades, make it a two speed, replace brushes, and all that good stuff! Just got a message that it's ready to be picked up tomorrow! Just at a week turn around.

Old 04-10-2017, 05:13 PM   #3
Tj4orange
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Kinda frustrated today. Finished pulling off all the new battery cables. For the life of me, it seems like a few of them things are always corroded. Anyways pulled them all out of the cart. One of them has a stinkin loose post. Couldn't get the nut off. None of them seemed too tight but this one seemed to be awfully corroded. I got some new cables to put back on. Got a little heavier cables. Had six gage, got new four gage ones.

Old 04-10-2017, 10:31 PM   #4
Tj4orange
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 86 Marathon project

I got some new tires and rims in last week. New heavy duty leaf springs too! Haven't got pics of them yet but will do so as I go. The tires were just worn out and cracked in a few spots and two had permanent leaks. I figured at $25-30 a tire it was time for a new set. As I started looking, Walmart had new tires, with rims for $35 each, delivered to my door! Sold!
I also got in my heavy duty leafs to replace the old and worn out ones. I hope these keep my big butt from low ridding the rear seat as the wife totes me around! They look awful beefy! I ordered some longer u-bolts too as recommended on a few of the sites. I did see here, someone stated that new shocks would be needed because of the bigger leafs. I contacted two different venders today and asked if I bought the HD leafs would I need bigger shocks and they both said no, so we will see!? I hope not.
This afternoon I got the tires pulled off, and broke one of the cotter pins, go figure. Adjusted the breaks a little tighter. Started to pull apart one of the springs, u-bolts, and plate thinger. All the farther I got cause daddy time called!
I'll keep y'all filled in.

Old 04-12-2017, 06:06 PM   #5
Tj4orange
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Errrr! Stripped the nut on top of the middle of the leaf spring. Now the nut and bolt just spin. How do I fix this!?

Old 04-12-2017, 07:42 PM   #6
Seaquell
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Do you need to take the spring pack apart?
I would just leave it alone, if you really need to get it out, try a nut splitter or a cut off wheel or a torch to heat it up or a torch to blast it off.
Lots of options!
Seaquell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 10:40 PM   #7
Tj4orange
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaquell View Post
Do you need to take the spring pack apart?

I would just leave it alone, if you really need to get it out, try a nut splitter or a cut off wheel or a torch to heat it up or a torch to blast it off.

Lots of options!

I don't. I was just tying to remove the springs and thought that was holding them to the rear axle. I saw another post that it might just be there to hold the springs together. I'm gonna get back at it tomorrow and hope I'm good. I was acting like a squirrel and just going after all the nuts.[emoji12]

Old 04-13-2017, 06:38 AM   #8
mutant
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

you might want to put your jack stands under your frame...then you should see the axle separate from the spring pack-i suggest doing one side at a time to keep your axle orientated properly...
in other words-U bolts should stay on one spring pack to keep the axle from flipping over due to it being top heavy with the motor on it!

i have always liked the bodys on the medalist-i also like the color of yours...looks nice....
mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 07:34 AM   #9
Tj4orange
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutant View Post
you might want to put your jack stands under your frame...then you should see the axle separate from the spring pack-i suggest doing one side at a time to keep your axle orientated properly...
in other words-U bolts should stay on one spring pack to keep the axle from flipping over due to it being top heavy with the motor on it!

i have always liked the bodys on the medalist-i also like the color of yours...looks nice....

Great suggestion! Thanks. Will do that.

Old 04-13-2017, 07:18 PM   #10
GOLFERDAN
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Yep, Tj, you need to keep the motor from flipping down if you remove both side U-bolts. I unfortunately removed them both. I used a ratchet strap to the seat frame to hold it upright.
GOLFERDAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO