lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-26-2017, 08:36 AM   #1
mrpush
Not Yet Wild

Default Ruff Ride, is this setup "tweakable"?

Hi,

I have a 2006 TXT with mods, see picts. The thing is just bone jarring it seems. It has narrow side wall tires (see pics) and I dropped the air down to 10 PSI to try to soften the ride, but I'm concerned my kids are going to "hit a hole" and do some rim damage and it did not seem to help much anyway. (Yes, KIDS are bad benefit to loss ratio I know!)

I see the shocks have an air stem...hummm....Are these air shocks? The coil over adjustment will probably just adjust ride height and all Air shocks I have ever seen did the same. Can these shocks be "aired" to give me a better ride?

Also, note the rear 4 leafs on the drivers side and the double on the passenger. Yes the accessory bag I received when I purchased has another 4 leaf spring in it. Why they would only put on one is unknown to me! Maybe previous owner was a big fellow?

How to soften this thing up? I'd like to take some old folks for a spin, but I might break some bones if I'm not careful! I want a "Caddie" smooth ride! HAHAH! How I get that????

Thanks,

MP
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170524_205821.jpg (321.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20170524_205830.jpg (256.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20170524_205917.jpg (389.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20170524_205930.jpg (410.2 KB, 0 views)
mrpush is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-26-2017, 09:03 AM   #2
49ford
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Ruff Ride, is this setup "tweakable"?

It appears you have the anti-thesis of a Cadillac ride cart. If you're not going to off road it then get some tires with cushion, lower your spring rates, and soften shocks to get a decent ride. Would a different cart be out of the question?
49ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 09:15 AM   #3
mutant
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

you got a lot of variables to answer before a specific answer can be given...the rear springs seem to be different type of springs-you must measure the thickness to see if the 1st springs and 2nd leafs on both sides are related...
shock valving is another big question,that has a BIG effect on the ride quality...
mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 11:43 AM   #4
DaveTM
Gone Wild

DO NOT......repeat DO NOT let any air out of those shocks. If you do you will completely distort the damping ride. These are NOT air shocks. When I did my install I do recall the instructions were pretty specific on not messing with the air in the shocks. If you did, then you have to pre-set a compressor to the required air amount, and re-fill the shock. Give Jakes a call for the required air poundage.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 12:06 PM   #5
mutant
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
DO NOT......repeat DO NOT let any air out of those shocks. If you do you will completely distort the damping ride. These are NOT air shocks. When I did my install I do recall the instructions were pretty specific on not messing with the air in the shocks. If you did, then you have to pre-set a compressor to the required air amount, and re-fill the shock. Give Jakes a call for the required air poundage.
they are air or nitrogen filled most likely-dont mess with it like dave says...
mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 10:07 AM   #6
Rooster59
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The shocks are nitrogen (or some other inert gas) filled to help keep the fluid from foaming under hard use. The shock spring adjustment collars are for spring preload, ie; increasing or decreasing the spring rate. Consequently it adjusts ride height at rest but that is there to soften or stiffen the springs. Adjust the collars to reduce compression on the springs for a better ride.

You could remove one of the rear spring leafs and test the ride. Or buy standard rear springs for that model.

As far as the tires and rims, read my lips, "short sidewalls are for stiffness" and to make the cart look like a race car. Race cars don't ride well. They are made to go around corners very fast. A cart is not. Try getting some tires the same overall height and reduce the rim diameter to 12" or even 10". Someone who wants a "bada$$ looking cart" will snap up those rims and tires on Craigslist for you and soften the financial burden.

ETA: And the OP wasn't too bright or didn't follow directions. I am pretty certain the front chrome bumper is installed upside down. From the angle of the photos it looks like the lower A arms might get bumped by the lower chrome tube on heavy suspension compression.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jakes Bumper.jpg (1.48 MB, 0 views)
Rooster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 11:04 AM   #7
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Also looks like the receiver is inaccessible.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 04:15 PM   #8
Rooster59
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster59 View Post
The shocks are nitrogen (or some other inert gas) filled to help keep the fluid from foaming under hard use. The shock spring adjustment collars are for spring preload, ie; increasing or decreasing the spring rate. Consequently it adjusts ride height at rest but that is there to soften or stiffen the springs. Adjust the collars to reduce compression on the springs for a better ride.

You could remove one of the rear spring leafs and test the ride. Or buy standard rear springs for that model.

As far as the tires and rims, read my lips, "short sidewalls are for stiffness" and to make the cart look like a race car. Race cars don't ride well. They are made to go around corners very fast. A cart is not. Try getting some tires the same overall height and reduce the rim diameter to 12" or even 10". Someone who wants a "bada$$ looking cart" will snap up those rims and tires on Craigslist for you and soften the financial burden.

ETA: And the OP wasn't too bright or didn't follow directions. I am pretty certain the front chrome bumper is installed upside down. From the angle of the photos it looks like the lower A arms might get bumped by the lower chrome tube on heavy suspension compression.
Meant to say PO (previous owner). Not OP (original poster). My apology.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:15 AM   #9
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster59 View Post
Meant to say PO (previous owner). Not OP (original poster). My apology.
Nice save!! You could have PO-ed the OP.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 10:32 AM   #10
Rooster59
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Yeah, that's what I thought too. Hopefully I caught it in time. Multi-tasking can lead to disasters.

Tags
leaf springs, shocks, suspension
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO