lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-25-2017, 06:44 AM   #1
acworthpreacher
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default charger overcharging

I think I read here that 38.2 volts is the correct voltage for fully charged batteries.

My charger keeps charging, I check voltage on batteries, it was at 40.8 volts and it was still charging, so I disconnected it. What is the stopping point for a charger.

Also the voltage indicator light still flickers between the 2-3 bar. not sure how to correct that. would think it should show full charge.

cart is a 2002 36v
any help is greatly appreciated.
acworthpreacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-25-2017, 07:05 AM   #2
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: charger overcharging

The voltage while charging will be a few volts higher before charger cuts off.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 07:17 AM   #3
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I have a 48 volt charger, but I believe for 36 volts, the charger won't cut off until it reaches around 45 volts.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 07:19 AM   #4
acworthpreacher
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

The batteries are only about a year old. I do not want to take a chance on ruining them y overcharging, should I keep charging. at what point should the charger cut off?
Old 07-25-2017, 07:23 AM   #5
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

See post #3. Around 45 volts.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 07:33 AM   #6
acworthpreacher
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

thank, the 48volt part confused me
Old 07-25-2017, 10:01 AM   #7
mutant
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

voltage from the charger runs up past 50 something before shutting off...jonnieB can give an exact explanation,along with others...
36.31 is considered 50% state of charge-so at that point you would need to charge the pack before using to keep from damaging the pack...
you might even say a 36v pack is not really that at all....
my pack reads 39.4 24hrs after a charge and i am getting great service out of the pack so far....
mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 10:28 AM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by acworthpreacher View Post
1. I think I read here that 38.2 volts is the correct voltage for fully charged batteries.

2. My charger keeps charging, I check voltage on batteries, it was at 40.8 volts and it was still charging, so I disconnected it. What is the stopping point for a charger.

3. Also the voltage indicator light still flickers between the 2-3 bar. not sure how to correct that. would think it should show full charge.

cart is a 2002 36v
any help is greatly appreciated.
1. 38.2V is the typical at-rest voltage (voltage about 12 hours after batteries have been charged or about an hour after any discharging) for Trojan brand batteries and clones. Other brands will be slightly higher at 100% SoC (State of Charge).

2. When the on-charge voltage is in the 44V to 46V range for Ferroresonant Transformer type charges, but may be higher (up to about 50V) for modern chargers that use dV/dT (change in Voltage over change in Time) technology to determine SoC. (A Lead-Acid battery isn't fully charged until the on-charge voltage ceases to increase while a charging current is passing through the electrolyte. Ferroresonant Transformer type chargers don't fully charge batteries.)

3. Since the charge was terminated at 40.3V, your batteries are less than 100% charged, so your LED bar-graph meter may be giving a correct reading.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 10:53 AM   #9
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
1. 38.2V is the typical at-rest voltage (voltage about 12 hours after batteries have been charged or about an hour after any discharging) for Trojan brand batteries and clones. Other brands will be slightly higher at 100% SoC (State of Charge).

2. When the on-charge voltage is in the 44V to 46V range for Ferroresonant Transformer type charges, but may be higher (up to about 50V) for modern chargers that use dV/dT (change in Voltage over change in Time) technology to determine SoC. (A Lead-Acid battery isn't fully charged until the on-charge voltage ceases to increase while a charging current is passing through the electrolyte. Ferroresonant Transformer type chargers don't fully charge batteries.)

3. Since the charge was terminated at 40.3V, your batteries are less than 100% charged, so your LED bar-graph meter may be giving a correct reading.

Curtis meters need to see 2.35v per cell for 6 minutes or 42.3v for a six pack of 6v batteries to reset to full. Clone meters may or may not be the same.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 11:24 AM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernal View Post
[/COLOR]

Curtis meters need to see 2.35v per cell for 6 minutes or 42.3v for a six pack of 6v batteries to reset to full. Clone meters may or may not be the same.
Thanks, I didn't know the voltage the Curtis meter needed to reset.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO