lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-15-2017, 05:46 PM   #11
VanillaXtract
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Suggestions for next upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Use 42v on the stock motor and 48v with any aftermarket custom motor.
(PQ bandit is not a custom motor, it is a stock motor)
If I did that then I would end up buying two chargers? One for 42V and then one at 48V?
VanillaXtract is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-15-2017, 05:46 PM   #12
VanillaXtract
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDad View Post
It depends on how you want to use the cart. Off-road, on-road, golf, or everything. If you add a speed motor don't forget the brakes especially with four people in the cart!
I don't golf, I mainly just use it to cruise the streets and hauling a few things around the yard.
Old 10-15-2017, 06:04 PM   #13
Dixie Chopper
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
The diameter of the motor case is pretty much cast in stone by the mounting area on the differential it mounts to, so the trick is to get a motor with a longer case. That means longer armature and field winding shoes, so more powerful electromagnets can be wound as well a greater heat dissipation.

For example, my motor is about 1.25" longer than a stock PDS motor and is wound to have roughly the same RPM as a stock, but has 30% more torque due to the longer armature and field windings.
I like the increase in torque without increasing top speed too much. I'll be honest, anything more than 30 MPH on a lifted cart is pretty sketchy. Which motor are you running? Admiral B2? My next move is probably going to be upping the voltage to 42 or 48V then a motor after that.
Dixie Chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 08:32 AM   #14
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaXtract View Post
If I did that then I would end up buying two chargers? One for 42V and then one at 48V?
Typically, you pick one or the other depending on what the end goal for the cart is.

If you are not planning to lift the cart and install substantially taller tires, the stock PDS motor will probably suffice and 42V will take it to the max recommended RPM with stock height (18") tires. If you plan to lift cart so tires over 20" tall can be installed, you might need a high-torque aftermarket motor to turn them and 48V may be needed to reach the same speed a stock PDS motor will reach at 42V.

The good news is that an XCT controller can be user programmed to limit max motor RPM and 48V can be used on a stock PDS motor without spinning it at excessive RPM.

Also, if plans change, there is a good resale market for 42V chargers.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 08:59 AM   #15
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I have 42v Series and PDS Ezgos. Both work quite well and the PDS has an aftermarket motor installed. 42v is underrated. You get great run time and good torque with a little speed boost.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 09:20 AM   #16
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Chopper View Post
I like the increase in torque without increasing top speed too much. I'll be honest, anything more than 30 MPH on a lifted cart is pretty sketchy. Which motor are you running? Admiral B2? My next move is probably going to be upping the voltage to 42 or 48V then a motor after that.
If got my XCT programmed to RPM limit my cart to 25MPH. That is the max speed limit of the streets I can drive on in the nearby town and faster than I want to travel on most of the country roads and cross-country trails I use getting into town.

In the same length case, motors wound for more speed have less torque and motors wound for more torque have less speed. However a motor in a longer case intrinsically has more torque, so it can be wound for stock torque and more than stock speed, or stock speed with more than stock torque.

I'm running a D&D ES-76-51 motor and I've heard D&D is refusing to sell it for use with an Alltrax controller. As I understand it, they object to some of Alltrax's field maps weaken the field to less than their recommended minimum of 3.0A and severe overheating occurs. The field map I use will weaken the field to 1.0A and the motor definitely gets hot, but I am aware of this issue and have never run the motor at top speed for extended periods of time. This is another reason I've RPM limited my motor to 25MPH cart speed, which is 6200RPM with my 17" tall tires. (FWIW: Due to my tiny tires, I can get close to 7000RPM at 42V with the field weakened to 1.0A.)

If you have tall tires, a Admiral MOT-B2 and a 48 battery pack would probably be a good choice and you can use the XCT to RPM limit it to 30 MPH (or less) if need be. Contact Scotty at Carts Unlimited, he might suggest something else.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:26 AM   #17
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
I have 42v Series and PDS Ezgos. Both work quite well and the PDS has an aftermarket motor installed. 42v is underrated. You get great run time and good torque with a little speed boost.
I'll probably get yelled at for saying it, but I'm pretty sure you can use seven economy grade 6V battery to build a 42V pack and still get better range than you can get with the standard 36V pack.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:56 AM   #18
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
I'll probably get yelled at for saying it, but I'm pretty sure you can use seven economy grade 6V battery to build a 42V pack and still get better range than you can get with the standard 36V pack.
Yes you will .
Customer right now is sending Alltrax monitor files showing his new Sams Club Batts dropping from 51 to 40v and the new motor drawing over 300amps to compensate for the voltage drop.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 10:21 AM   #19
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Yes you will .
Customer right now is sending Alltrax monitor files showing his new Sams Club Batts dropping from 51 to 40v and the new motor drawing over 300amps to compensate for the voltage drop.
I was talking about range, not performance.

The voltage drop on a lower AH battery pack will be greater than it is on a standard or premium battery pack, so for high performance stick with standard of better batteries.

Also, apple to oranges. I was speaking about a 42V pack and if the customer's pack started at 51V, it was a 48V pack rather than a 42V pack.
Old 10-16-2017, 01:19 PM   #20
VanillaXtract
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
I was talking about range, not performance.

The voltage drop on a lower AH battery pack will be greater than it is on a standard or premium battery pack, so for high performance stick with standard of better batteries.

Also, apple to oranges. I was speaking about a 42V pack and if the customer's pack started at 51V, it was a 48V pack rather than a 42V pack.
Everything I listed at the start I want to eventually do. I just didn't know the proper order in doing it. I think a 6" Jake's spindle lift with tall tires, 48V, and a new motor are all going to be done within a year.

It looks like I will do batteries and lift first. I gather 8 6V are better but since I am adding a rear seat, will there be room for 8 batteries? Then a 48V DPI charger. Then I need to reprogram my XCT to prevent overspinning the stock motor?

Is the 6" Jake's spindle a good pick? Any suggestions for tires/wheels or just get a combo from Jakes?

After all of that, the motor should be an Admiral B3? I can read the differences on Scotty's website, but I am not sure which is best for my application.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO