lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-17-2017, 09:04 AM   #1
E-cart
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default RXV intermediate gear tooth count

I have a 2011 RXV that has very loud gear box. Since I want to install 10.5:1 speed gears, I'm putting together the parts to rebuild the gear box. Front disc brakes already added by the way.
I have all new gears except the intermediate shaft pressed on mate to the input gear. Mine is bad, so I need a new one.
At this point, the only clear option I have is to purchase a new intermediate gear assembly (about $260) and use the input gear mate from that. There is no individual part number for the gear I need.
The only other option I can see from reading here is to contact Apache Gear in AZ to see if I can buy just that gear (instead of the entire assy) from them.
I'm guessing that when I contact them I can just ask for the stock RXV gear that is pressed onto the intermediate shaft, but in case they cannot identify it that way, I was hoping to determine the number of teeth on that gear.
I saw where cgtech posted a list of gears including the RXV. Input 18 tooth, intermediate 58 and 22, ring 116. So I would need the 58 tooth gear.

The part that confuses me is that the "10.5:1" gear set is input 33 tooth and ring 106. When computed using 18 and 58 for the othe side, that comes out 10.35:1 instead of 10.5:1.
59 tooth for the intermediate input mate works out to 10.52:1 by the way.
Any insight that would help me with this so I don't have to tear down the cart and then wait for parts?
Thanks in advance.
E-cart is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-17-2017, 11:49 AM   #2
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Default Re: RXV intermediate gear tooth count

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-cart View Post
I have a 2011 RXV that has very loud gear box. Since I want to install 10.5:1 speed gears, I'm putting together the parts to rebuild the gear box. Front disc brakes already added by the way.
I have all new gears except the intermediate shaft pressed on mate to the input gear. Mine is bad, so I need a new one.
At this point, the only clear option I have is to purchase a new intermediate gear assembly (about $260) and use the input gear mate from that. There is no individual part number for the gear I need.
The only other option I can see from reading here is to contact Apache Gear in AZ to see if I can buy just that gear (instead of the entire assy) from them.
I'm guessing that when I contact them I can just ask for the stock RXV gear that is pressed onto the intermediate shaft, but in case they cannot identify it that way, I was hoping to determine the number of teeth on that gear.
I saw where cgtech posted a list of gears including the RXV. Input 18 tooth, intermediate 58 and 22, ring 116. So I would need the 58 tooth gear.

The part that confuses me is that the "10.5:1" gear set is input 33 tooth and ring 106. When computed using 18 and 58 for the othe side, that comes out 10.35:1 instead of 10.5:1.
59 tooth for the intermediate input mate works out to 10.52:1 by the way.
Any insight that would help me with this so I don't have to tear down the cart and then wait for parts?
Thanks in advance.
I feel that would be a big mistake to go to 10.5:1 gears on an RXV. The RXV motor has a lot of torque, but not enough to push an RXV with stock tires to stock full RPM with that gear ratio.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 12:32 PM   #3
E-cart
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for your input Bob.
I did a lot of research on this and several people have done the 10.5:1 gears with success even with non-lifted larger tire equipped RXV's.
I especially think I will be fine here in the South Carolina Low Country where it's kind of like driving on a pool table for the most part. Since I already own the gears, I'll let you know how it works out.
John
Old 10-17-2017, 01:36 PM   #4
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-cart View Post
Thanks for your input Bob.
I did a lot of research on this and several people have done the 10.5:1 gears with success even with non-lifted larger tire equipped RXV's.
I especially think I will be fine here in the South Carolina Low Country where it's kind of like driving on a pool table for the most part. Since I already own the gears, I'll let you know how it works out.
John
Let us know how it works out for you John. I have a set of gears as well, still sitting in the box.

I worked on a cart there in SC. The oversized tires took their toll on the controller. Ended up putting in a new Curtis controller and made some configuration changes to allow the new controller to last longer.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 01:45 PM   #5
E-cart
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks Bob.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO