lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-06-2017, 07:19 AM   #1
beach cart
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Battery problems Trojan Ranger 160

I have a dpi accusers charger and ranger 160 8v. Batteries. Six in an Exgo txt 2007. I have found water below the plates. I filled to just above plates sat put on charge till the cycle ended at 2 amps. Filled to normal 1/4" below plate. Took a 10 mile ride sunday and put back on charge and they have been on charge 14 hours now reading at 5 amps this monday am. Some overflow has happened, just small amount tops of batts.

Is this normal. Batteries are 10 months old. Another set failed last year. Same batteries. I had t875 before and no problems. I am meticulous and check battery every month.

Could the charger be charging too long in bulk charge. My battery guy says no. I'm thinking of getting a new board. My readings with hydrometer before charge were decent 1275-1300.

One last thing. Ranger 160 have a lot less space at top of battery then other 8 volt batteries. Any ideas would be great help.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
beach cart is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-06-2017, 02:15 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Battery problems Trojan Ranger 160

Perhaps a dumb question, but has to be asked. Is DPI Accusense charger set to Trojan battery (Mode-2)?

If not, the batteries are being overcharged. (Mode-2 is the mildest charging algorithm)

The slight overflow indicates the cells were slightly overfilled, or weren't fully charged when topped up. If overflowing is a repeating issue, don't fill as full, maybe 3/8" below bottom of vent tube rather than 1/4".

Not counting Pre-qualification and Float, the DPI Accusense is a 3-stage charger. Those being: Bulk, Absorption and Finish.

NOTE: Following is for Mode-2 and a 48V pack

Bulk charge is a constant current stage (about 17A), starting at whatever voltage the battery pack is at when charger is connected and transitions into the Absorption stage when on-charge voltage climbs to about 56.4V.

Absorption charge is a constant voltage stage and roughly 56.4V is applied while the Amps are allowed to decrease. When the battery is at 80% to 90% of full charge, the charger transitions into the Finish stage. (I'm not sure how the charge makes that determination, could be the rate at which the Amps are decreasing, or could be a hard set-point, or something else, but whatever it is that is when it goes to next stage)

Finish stage is also a constant current stage. Whatever current was flowing at the end of the Absorption stage is maintained and the on-charge voltage is allowed to climb. When the on-charge voltage stops climbing, the battery is fully charged. (More correctly, when the rate of voltage increase drops below a predetermined rate. Trojan doesn't publish that information, but US Battery uses 4mv/cell per hour and Trojan is probably similar)

----------
There really isn't a time limit on how long Bulk charge lasts. It lasts as long as it takes for the on-charge voltage to reach 56.4V. However, if the charge continues to put out max amps after reach that voltage, something is wrong.

----------
Contact DPI for better testing info.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 04:16 PM   #3
beach cart
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Perhaps a dumb question, but has to be asked. Is DPI Accusense charger set to Trojan battery (Mode-2)?

If not, the batteries are being overcharged. (Mode-2 is the mildest charging algorithm)

The slight overflow indicates the cells were slightly overfilled, or weren't fully charged when topped up. If overflowing is a repeating issue, don't fill as full, maybe 3/8" below bottom of vent tube rather than 1/4".

Not counting Pre-qualification and Float, the DPI Accusense is a 3-stage charger. Those being: Bulk, Absorption and Finish.

NOTE: Following is for Mode-2 and a 48V pack

Bulk charge is a constant current stage (about 17A), starting at whatever voltage the battery pack is at when charger is connected and transitions into the Absorption stage when on-charge voltage climbs to about 56.4V.

Absorption charge is a constant voltage stage and roughly 56.4V is applied while the Amps are allowed to decrease. When the battery is at 80% to 90% of full charge, the charger transitions into the Finish stage. (I'm not sure how the charge makes that determination, could be the rate at which the Amps are decreasing, or could be a hard set-point, or something else, but whatever it is that is when it goes to next stage)

Finish stage is also a constant current stage. Whatever current was flowing at the end of the Absorption stage is maintained and the on-charge voltage is allowed to climb. When the on-charge voltage stops climbing, the battery is fully charged. (More correctly, when the rate of voltage increase drops below a predetermined rate. Trojan doesn't publish that information, but US Battery uses 4mv/cell per hour and Trojan is probably similar)

----------
There really isn't a time limit on how long Bulk charge lasts. It lasts as long as it takes for the on-charge voltage to reach 56.4V. However, if the charge continues to put out max amps after reach that voltage, something is wrong.

----------
Contact DPI for better testing info.
Johnnie the mode was 2 for Trojan. I let the charger finish down to float 2 amp this morning. Pulled the plug and let sit for a few hours. Cleaned up and added water where needed 1/4" below plates. Started another charge. It went to 17 amps then 15, after 10 or so mins. dropped to 13 amps where it's at now.

Old 11-07-2017, 12:13 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach cart View Post
Johnnie the mode was 2 for Trojan. I let the charger finish down to float 2 amp this morning. Pulled the plug and let sit for a few hours. Cleaned up and added water where needed 1/4" below plates. Started another charge. It went to 17 amps then 15, after 10 or so mins. dropped to 13 amps where it's at now.

1/4" below plates or 1/4" below vet tubes??????????

Sounds like charger is transitioning out of Bulk charge. (Amps decreasing from 17A) Question is at what voltage?

What is the pack voltage when the amps are decreasing?
Old 11-07-2017, 08:31 PM   #5
Hossstyl3
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I've got the same batteries and the same charger. I haven't had any problems ? ? I just plugged mine in right out of the box ! It is set to mode 2 I just checked it
Hossstyl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 10:13 PM   #6
beach cart
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
1/4" below plates or 1/4" below vet tubes??????????

Sounds like charger is transitioning out of Bulk charge. (Amps decreasing from 17A) Question is at what voltage?

What is the pack voltage when the amps are decreasing?
Below vent tube I meant. Even though my readings were good. It boiled out some last night. 12 hours still at 5 amps this am. I had out picked up for load testing and checking. Thanks for your help. I will report findings and solution when I know in a day or so.

Old 11-10-2017, 09:30 PM   #7
beach cart
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

After 3 days, two complete load test discharge. My cart shop says batteries are good, but do take 12hrs. To charge. I'm having board replaced on my DPI accusense and keep and eye on things.

Old 11-11-2017, 01:44 PM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

What SoC do you typically discharge your batteries to?
Old 11-11-2017, 03:05 PM   #9
beach cart
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
What SoC do you typically discharge your batteries to?
Down to 70 charge then charger on. at best. 10 miles is about that.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
Old 11-11-2017, 03:07 PM   #10
beach cart
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach cart View Post
Down to 70 charge then charger on. at best. 10 miles is about that.

I also changed the charger board out to make sure, I'm currently on a run then will charge and see if it over gases again.

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO