lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-12-2018, 12:28 PM   #11
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Battery Drain 48V Precedent

Is there someone at the course who takes care of routine items like checking water levels? Or do you do that.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-12-2018, 01:30 PM   #12
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock2183 View Post
Nolefan4ever When my buddy and I first got our batteries in we are thinking 2011 we put US Batteries in which he still has. I had mine replaced with Trojans in 2015 because of tis problem and now I can only make it 9 holes on the batteries I had installed in 2015. Something is killing the batteries.
But remember, if your OBC is faulty or failing and you are not getting the correct unit charge, then your batteries are not going to last as they will fail prematurely due to sulfation. Here is an easy way to tell. Let the batteries charge completely (if that is possible with current equipment status), then check the pack charge as soon as possible after completion and then again ~12 hours later. (You should have the Run/Tow switch in "Tow" for this test) Then if your voltage was low after the charger shut off, then your OBC has failed or is failing and there lies your problem. If it is drastically lower ~12 hours later and it has not been used then the batteries are gone and cannot sustain a charge (most likely caused by the OBC).

A good set of batteries will still yield >51 vdc 12 hours later and the minimum for a full charge is 50.9 vdc. Even my old set will still hold ~50.5+ vdc.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 02:49 PM   #13
rock2183
Not Yet Wild

WalterM6 we check and maintain our own carts.
rock2183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 03:09 PM   #14
Gazoo
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
But remember, if your OBC is faulty or failing and you are not getting the correct unit charge, then your batteries are not going to last as they will fail prematurely due to sulfation. Here is an easy way to tell. Let the batteries charge completely (if that is possible with current equipment status), then check the pack charge as soon as possible after completion and then again ~12 hours later. (You should have the Run/Tow switch in "Tow" for this test) Then if your voltage was low after the charger shut off, then your OBC has failed or is failing and there lies your problem. If it is drastically lower ~12 hours later and it has not been used then the batteries are gone and cannot sustain a charge (most likely caused by the OBC).

A good set of batteries will still yield >51 vdc 12 hours later and the minimum for a full charge is 50.9 vdc. Even my old set will still hold ~50.5+ vdc.
With all the evidence introduced its sounding very much like everyone has said - BAD OBC!!

Would a temporary bypass of the OBC coupled with a CLOSELY WATCHED charge using the PowerDrive be a good next step to confirm what everyone already suspects?
Gazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 03:43 PM   #15
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The thing to remember is that the PowerDrive 3 will always go to maximum current (15 amps) when it first starts to charge, regardless if you just charged the batteries.

Since yours just goes to 10 amps, it is either the OBC SCR limiting the current flow or you have a cable/battery problem.

Do You have any accessories tapped to a single 12v battery?

Did You measure the voltage of your individual batteries to see if a single battery is much lower than the rest?

To eliminated the OBC current control You will need to send the charger negative wire directly to pack negative.

You will also need to send the sense wire directly to pack negative to by-pass the OBC charger activation.

If the cart has not been driven since the last charge, the OBC does not perform the start-stop-start test.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car