lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-15-2014, 01:49 PM   #1
UGCservice
Not Yet Wild

Default DCS: motor shakes but no go.

I have an ezgo DSC. when I hit the gas pedal the solenoid clicks, motor makes a humming sound and sort of shakes. but the cart itself goes no where. I did a discharge test and the batteries tested good. I charged them back up and put a volt meter on the mains. when I hit the gas the BPV drops maybe 2 volts. I then checked to make sure all of the cables from between the batteries, to the controller, motor and solenoid were tight. and they were. I did notice the small cable from the controller to the solenoid was getting hot so I put a new 2gauge cable in. Did the same with the cables to the motor as well. when this didn't fix anything I swapped the controller and solenoid(new solenoid is high amp) still didn't change anything. I did the gas pedal test. Starts at about .5v and rises to 1.5v, finally I swapped the motor and the new one does the same thing. Also, I can push the cart manually and when I had the old motor off, I turned the spline gear with my hand to make sure the diff. gears were not locked up. any ideas?

Seems like the motor wants to turn, but is either not getting enough power or something is jamming it up. cables will get hot if I hold the gas pedal to long.
(cables are 2guage)
UGCservice is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-15-2014, 02:09 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: DCS: motor shakes but no go.

Look at the axle castle nuts while somebody pushes the gas to go. Make sure one of them is not spinning with the wheel turning. If it is you have a stripped hub, it is not an un- common problem.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 02:52 PM   #3
UGCservice
Not Yet Wild

I checked that and they are not stripped. the motor itself is not turning, just trying to.
Old 10-15-2014, 03:09 PM   #4
UGCservice
Not Yet Wild

at one point I had the rear end lifted off the ground and I spun the tires while hitting the gas pedal and the motor started to turn the wheels. I had 2 of my buddies try to stop the wheels with their hands and they could. I also had the motor/wheels turning and lowered the cart to the ground and the wheels stopped right away and motor just started humming but no go. again all cables are tight and I even put in 2 gauge cables to flow more power.
Old 12-14-2014, 09:57 AM   #5
old dawg
Not Yet Wild

I have the same problem. Just happened going up a hill off road. I just put new beast motor in and bumped the 500 amp axe controller to 100% with turbo on. I hope it's not the motor spline and just the axles. What's the best test to determine without pulling hat heavy motor out? Thanks
old dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 10:07 AM   #6
old dawg
Not Yet Wild

just checked the hub splines and they are fine. Must be the motor input shaft. I hope it's not the motor itself. Any electrical specs to make sure it's not wrecked? It only has about two hours on it ....
Old 12-14-2014, 01:31 PM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

This was a post for DCS cart rather than a series.

Axles can break and there are also splines on the other end of the axles where they fit into the differential gear cluster.

Put the rear axle on jackstands, drop the pan, set the parking brake and visually check out what is and isn't moving when someone pushes the pedal.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 03:47 PM   #8
old dawg
Not Yet Wild

Thanks and sorry about the difference in cart types. Will do on the diff cover and report back. I wonder if I should pull the motor first and check that out before I pull the cover? It already on jack stands now.
Old 12-15-2014, 05:38 PM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by old dawg View Post
Thanks and sorry about the difference in cart types. Will do on the diff cover and report back. I wonder if I should pull the motor first and check that out before I pull the cover? It already on jack stands now.
Since the motor was a recent install, if should come off easy.
On the other hand, the differential probable need the oil changed anyway.
I guess that makes it a toss-up.

From a applied torque perspective, the axle splines have 12.44 times the torque applied to them. The differential input shaft only feels the motor's output, while the axles feel the motor output times the gear ratio.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 06:13 PM   #10
bxlt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I will go with my standard answer when I see this issue on a DCS cart as it happened to me.

Load test each battery! I had a 36v pack that would read 38.2v hit the gas and it would shutter and not go. I could jack it up and get the wheels to spin on their own but not with any load. Put the voltage meter on the pack and noticed a huge drop so started checking each battery "under load" and found the problem. One battery dropped much more under load then the others. Replaced the bad battery (not a recommended practice as it is recommended to replace the whole pack) and was able to use the cart again.
bxlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO