lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-01-2018, 05:44 PM   #1
drift240se
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default G9 will only run a few minutes

So, please help. cart runs great for just a minute or two then just turns over and over. let sit for a little while and it will run another few minutes. clean fresh gas. new carb . new fuel pump. seems to have spark and fuel still after it quits running. in line spark tester. crack bolt on float bowl just after it quits running. IDK. I know i can start from scratch on everything but hoping someone has one or two things it most likely would be. this is my g9 not g29. I would think either the carb has to fill back up,,which i have checked and seems to have plenty. Or something electrical is getting warm and has to cool a minute. Anyone have this problem before? Beer doesnt seem to be fixing it at all
drift240se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 05:51 PM   #2
trentofdestiny
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: G9 will only run a few minutes

Any history on repairs? If valve adjustment is too tight, won't have compression when it warms up. Not sure if it's running long enough to get warm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
trentofdestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 06:05 PM   #3
drift240se
Gone Wild

Yamaha

valves are good. cart sat a few years before i bought it. kinda unknown. i have got the motor good and warm a few times...... with breaks in between running lol. runs a few minutes then have to wait a few minutes back and forth but you can eventually get it good and warmed up. no change from cold to warmed up. checked valves a few times actually. my best guess is something ignition related. have checked valves cold and hot. the motor runs and sounds fantastic actually. through the entire rpm range
Old 12-01-2018, 06:17 PM   #4
trentofdestiny
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Vacuum forming in the gas tank due to lack of venting? And I thought you said it had spark when it quit?

Old 12-01-2018, 06:30 PM   #5
drift240se
Gone Wild

Yamaha

runs with or without tank cap. seems to have gas too. as it stops running i have opened the float bowl while still cranking and its full. wondering if spark is getting to weak maybe or out of time. this one just doesnt make sense to me. first thing ever i havent been able to just get figured out and fixed.
Old 12-01-2018, 07:18 PM   #6
trentofdestiny
Gone Wild
Yamaha

What type of spark tester do you have?

Old 12-01-2018, 07:22 PM   #7
drift240se
Gone Wild

Yamaha

this
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spark.jpg (62.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-01-2018, 07:24 PM   #8
trentofdestiny
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Oh okay. Should look like a pretty much solid light with good spark while running. Weak spark you could detect more of a flicker from the neon

Old 12-01-2018, 07:29 PM   #9
drift240se
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I will test more tomorrow and look for very subtle differences in spark. Maybe too much ambient light to notice any difference.
Old 12-01-2018, 09:33 PM   #10
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I use a timing light and used a neon paint to mark TDC on the top of the clutch cover. Doesnt have to be exact but you'll notice a huge difference when the motor quits. My G9 I found that timing/spark got erratic or quit completely once it died. Let it sit a few minutes and it should run and quit again after a minute.

Is your ignitor OEM or aftermarket? I would lean toward ignitor as being the problem, more so if its aftermarket.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha