lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-01-2013, 05:21 PM   #11
doodles bug
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Street carts and the law

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podnuh View Post
Get your city to pass an ordinance permitting golf carts (just like many do with micro-trucks and ATVs) and you'll be good to go.
IN KANSAS???????

C’MON MAN WE DON’T EVEN ALLOW EVOLUTION TO BE TAUGHT!!!!!

The park patrolman said his wife found a city is fighting it right now.
doodles bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-16-2015, 03:26 PM   #12
cphilip
Getting Wild

Bringing this old one back up because I just registered another Cart in SC today and there has been a slight change. At least I think its a change. They gave me a Registration card when I got done. Which I do not recall the previous cart sticker having one accompanying it. This card says it must be present in the cart. It also has rules right on it. The carts registration number is not the same as the Sticker number either iirc. Also, the form you fill out, you can download and print out. They will accept the printed out from your computer now. And it is still not asked that you present an insurance card for the cart when you obtain the registration and sticker. Just that you are signing on penalty of perjury or some such that you have and will maintain liability insurance. I would imagine you best have your insurance card with you if stopped along with that registration card and it says your Drivers License. Its $5 for 5 years.
cphilip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 11:04 AM   #13
MC1
Getting Wild

I think some of the confusion is calling it a golf cart, when in fact it's now Low Speed Vehicle (LSV).

From what I've been reading up on, if you are going to operate a converted golf cart (now a LSV) on public land, there are rules-

It's got to be Registered and Licensed- To get it registered, one needs a title (and insurance). To get a title, you need a VIN. Getting the VIN is the most work- usually a LSV which was converted from a golf cart are titled with a "made from parts" VIN. Each state (and possibly county/city) have rules on what is needed to get that precious VIN number.

Lights, turn signals, horns, seat belts to start with. DOT tires, windshield/wipers. Others include special notices/markings identifying it as a LSV.

There will also be restrictions on where you can drive- usually limited to roads with lower MPH zones. LSV also have a limit on the speed they can go. Here in Florida, the max speed is 25mph.

It's definitely a process, but if you do your homework and paperwork, not too bad.

There is a couple of threads on here that outline what some of the hurdles are.

You can still anticipate being stopped by local law enforcement who may not well versed in this issue (or just curious), so have your paperwork in order.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 12:20 PM   #14
cphilip
Getting Wild

That may be in some states. But in SC its called a Golf Cart permit. So it varies what you need to ask for. And here you need no turns or horns or such things because they are restricted to daytime operation only. And to roads restricted to 35mph
cphilip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 01:10 PM   #15
Yamahaman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Different counties in different states might not want to pass laws to allow golf carts to ride on their roadways.You have to understand there are lots of places where people still work and very few are retired and fewer people have golf carts.I live right in the middle of a working community and not a single person has seen my cart.I keep it at the lake where our camper is parked and I can ride it and enjoy it there.Some cities in some states may never allow carts due to narrow roads in downtown areas that cannot be widened.
Yamahaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 01:19 PM   #16
glassk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Georgia list these,

Vehicles operating on State highways are governed by the Uniform Rules of the Road as set forth in Chapter 6 of Title 40 of the Georgia Code. Additionally, O.C.G.A. Section 40-6-331 gives local governing bodies the authority, by ordinance, to designate certain public streets for the combined use of motorized carts and regular vehicular traffic. Some governing bodies have exercised this statutory authority by creating multi-use paths for pedestrians, cyclists, and golf carts

Low Speed Vehicles

40-1-1(25.1) - means any four-wheeled electric vehicle whose top speed attainable in one mile is greater than 20 miles per hour but not greater than 25 miles per hour on a paved level surface and which is manufactured in compliance with those federal motor vehicle safety standards for low-speed vehicles set forth in 49 C.F.R. Section 571.500 and in effect on January 1, 2001.

Golf Carts

40-1-1(17.2) "Golf car" or "golf cart" means any motorized vehicle designed for the purpose and exclusive use of conveying one or more persons and equipment to play the game of golf in an area designated as a golf course. For such a vehicle to be considered a golf car or golf cart, its average speed shall be less than 15 miles per hour (24 kilometers per hour) on a level road surface with a 0.5% grade (0.3 degrees) comprising a straight course composed of a concrete or asphalt surface that is dry and free from loose material or surface contamination with a minimum coefficient of friction of 0.8 between tire and surface.
glassk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 01:30 PM   #17
MC1
Getting Wild

Back in 2009 there was a tax credit for the purchase of battery vehicles- that included Low Speed Neghborhood Vehicles.

There were 2 company's that quickly created some converted golf carts to LSV. The purchase price was equal to the tax credit for that device- so basically a "free" LSV.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/free-gol...rhood-vehicle/
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 01:32 PM   #18
Yamahaman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassk View Post
Georgia list these,

Golf Carts

40-1-1(17.2) "Golf car" or "golf cart" means any motorized vehicle designed for the purpose and exclusive use of conveying one or more persons and equipment to play the game of golf in an area designated as a golf course. For such a vehicle to be considered a golf car or golf cart, its average speed shall be less than 15 miles per hour (24 kilometers per hour) on a level road surface with a 0.5% grade (0.3 degrees) comprising a straight course composed of a concrete or asphalt surface that is dry and free from loose material or surface contamination with a minimum coefficient of friction of 0.8 between tire and surface.
I don't think the golf cart in my sig would be allowed on a golf course
Old 12-17-2015, 01:44 PM   #19
glassk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamahaman View Post
I don't think the golf cart in my sig would be allowed on a golf course
Speed Golf,....
glassk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 01:58 PM   #20
Yamahaman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassk View Post
Speed Golf,....
Nope,just the tires
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car