lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-01-2018, 04:55 PM   #1
gtistiffler
Not Yet Wild

Default Need some insight 03 48v ds iq motor/controller

So I had my Curtis 1510 controller rebuilt bc it was not always grounding solenoid. Got it back and would only go 6-8mph and after a bit the motor started to shake and cut off. Key off and on i can repeat process.
Today I unplugged the 4 pin connector at controller that goes to diagnostics port and it will go 16 unplugged. Plug in and it slows down again. Motor still shook after about 50yds. Checked for shorts in diagnostics harness and none found. Could a bad motor cause all this?? Why did it not shake before rebuilt controller?? Thanks
gtistiffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-01-2018, 05:26 PM   #2
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Need some insight 03 48v ds iq motor/controller

The cart slowing down to 8mph with that 4-pin plug connected could indicate a short on the +15v black wire.

That is the same internal +15v that powers the speed sensor.

How did You check for shorts?

Assuming the connector is not forced in the wrong position, measure between the pins and make sure no two pins have continuity.

You should leave it unplugged before it permanently damages the Controller.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 08:49 PM   #3
gtistiffler
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
The cart slowing down to 8mph with that 4-pin plug connected could indicate a short on the +15v black wire.

That is the same internal +15v that powers the speed sensor.

How did You check for shorts?

Assuming the connector is not forced in the wrong position, measure between the pins and make sure no two pins have continuity.

You should leave it unplugged before it permanently damages the Controller.

Thanks for the reply. So, since you mentioned the speed sensor, I just unplugged it and of course it runs in limp mode but the motor shake goes away and no cutting out. Unfortunately I have a speed magnet so the roll away test doesn’t work. I have two speed sensors and they both ohm out around 26megaohms between red/blk and green/blk. One was one on the cart and another I put on a few weeks ago. Both appear to be knock offs

Yes, i tested for shorts with my meter. No continuity between any of the four wires to each other in diagnostic port harness.
Old 05-01-2018, 08:58 PM   #4
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Yes, i tested for shorts with my meter. No continuity between any of the four wires to each other in diagnostic port harness.
There has to continuity between those wires to something. Maybe a spot with the insulation rubbed off and two wires pinched together. Also measure for voltage on those wires referenced to B-.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 09:01 PM   #5
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

If the cart slows to "limp mode" when the 4-pin plug is connected to the Controller, a short on the +15v wire is the only thing I can think of that would cause a problem with the speed sensor.

Even if you have a speed magnet, the Controller will beep and engage the "dynamic brake" to some degree.

Why do You need that 4-pin plug connected?
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 09:13 PM   #6
gtistiffler
Not Yet Wild

I don’t need it connected. But it still was randomly shaking and cutting out with it unplugged. I wasn’t aware that I still would get the beeping w speed magnet. So I just did the speed sensor test and no beeping and when pushing the motor was shaking/vibrating. Flipped it to tow mode and the shaking went away.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car