lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-16-2019, 02:41 PM   #1
rebauto
Not Yet Wild

Default Confused on wiring, 96 Club Car 48v. New to Electric Carts

Now I'm wondering what I got myself into after getting to look at the Cart during the daylight. There appears to be wires missing, as well as ends of wires missing, so don't know where they should go. Ignition switch is missing.
I checked the stickys, but not certain on which one is the correct wiring diagram for this particular cart since apparently it may be some kind of Frankenstein or mid-year design change. It has the small fwd/rvrs switch like a Sepex, but it does not have a tow switch under the seat, so from what I read may mean it is a Series. I'm new to electric carts so this is a little confusing to me. Looks like I may need to rewire it or purchase a whole new wiring harness. Battery tray is a little corroded and loose in a couple of places, so that concerns me as well. Still need to buy batteries, but don't know if I should fix all the wiring first before I make that large expenditure. Anyway, photos included. Advice appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191216_124433.jpg (143.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20191216_124307.jpg (145.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20191216_124254.jpg (155.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20191216_124243.jpg (141.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20191216_124223.jpg (113.8 KB, 0 views)
rebauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-16-2019, 02:42 PM   #2
rebauto
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Confused on wiring, 96 Club Car 48v. New to Electric Carts

More photos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191216_124214.jpg (176.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20191216_124146.jpg (146.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20191216_124204.jpg (102.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20191216_124150.jpg (165.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-16-2019, 02:44 PM   #3
rebauto
Not Yet Wild

Don't know why the pictures turned whoppy jawed when I loaded them, so sorry about that. LOL
Old 12-16-2019, 02:57 PM   #4
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

That year would likely be a regen 1 cart, and it looks like the controller was updated at some point. Upgrades on those involved a rats nest of an adapter harness and an extra adapter box to mate the existing wire harness to the new controller design. I don't think that adapter box is available anymore, and that will probably be impossible to repair when it fails.
Regen 1 was Club Car's first Sepex design and they were not great from a reliability standpoint.
You would be best off to strip the remaining electronics out, and upgrade that cart to an IQ harness. This will be the best option for reliability, and for future upgrades if you plan to do anything to it like lift, tires, more powerful motor, etc.

The old Regen motors will last a long time, but they have a few issues that pop up with age. If that's the original motor it likely has the plastic Guide ring in the end of the motor coupler and those will get worn with age and cause a chatter noise. The ring can be replaced, but often the splines of the coupler are so worn that it's only a temporary fix and you'll only get a few months of use before it starts chattering again.
A new motor will be be powerful and possibly more efficient as well.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 03:15 PM   #5
rebauto
Not Yet Wild

[QUOTE=Fairtax4me;1676132]That year would likely be a regen 1 cart, and it looks like the controller was updated at some point. Upgrades on those involved a rats nest of an adapter harness and an extra adapter box to mate the existing wire harness to the new controller design. I don't think that adapter box is available anymore, and that will probably be impossible to repair when it fails.
Regen 1 was Club Car's first Sepex design and they were not great from a reliability standpoint.
You would be best off to strip the remaining electronics out, and upgrade that cart to an IQ harness. This will be the best option for reliability, and for future upgrades if you plan to do anything to it like lift, tires, more powerful motor, etc.

Thank you for the informative response. Yes, one of the first upgrades after it was up and running was a lift to accommodate at least 20" tall tires. More powerful motor later on down the road. So the IQ Harness is available as a complete setup with all new electronics minus the motor?
Old 12-16-2019, 04:55 PM   #6
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Talk to David Hicks at Revolution Golf Cars.
He can get you everything you'll need to convert it.
It's not a "kit" per se, but it's a common swap on the older carts and getting the whole setup makes everything much more streamlined than trying to re-wire and piece together missing parts, and pretty much guarantees that it will all work when it's done.

If the motor currently works, you can do the wire harness, controller, solenoid and throttle upgrade now, and run that motor for a little while until you decide which motor to put in it. David will ask you what your future plans are for it, and those plans will determine which Alltrax XCT controller to start with (300, 400, or 500 amp).
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 05:35 PM   #7
rebauto
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
Talk to David Hicks at Revolution Golf Cars.
He can get you everything you'll need to convert it.
It's not a "kit" per se, but it's a common swap on the older carts and getting the whole setup makes everything much more streamlined than trying to re-wire and piece together missing parts, and pretty much guarantees that it will all work when it's done.

If the motor currently works, you can do the wire harness, controller, solenoid and throttle upgrade now, and run that motor for a little while until you decide which motor to put in it. David will ask you what your future plans are for it, and those plans will determine which Alltrax XCT controller to start with (300, 400, or 500 amp).
Thank you. Currently don't even know if the motor runs or not, since it's missing batteries. I think I will reach out to David and see if he can put together a package deal for me with a new motor. Just start fresh with all new electronics and wiring sounds like it will be the best course of action. Might be lipstick on a pig by the time I get done though...
Old 12-16-2019, 05:52 PM   #8
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

You can't go wrong if you do that. You have a great platform and you will have essentially a new cart that has lots of readily available parts, upgrades and accessories.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 06:30 PM   #9
rebauto
Not Yet Wild

Yep, definitely some type of changes were made back in 2007 apparently. Is this the motor controller?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Old 12-17-2019, 08:18 AM   #10
Kirylaufer
Gone Wild
Club Car

As a 96 series owner I can tell you the best harness is recpro. I tried several that broke as quickly as the cart was without it. Golf cart stuff was a good company to buy it from. Needed tech help and they were there. I would definitely install harness before abusing batteries in old setup.
Kirylaufer is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car