lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-31-2020, 12:12 PM   #11
MCJEFE
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 72V lithium pack?

I wouldn't recommend splitting up the pack for charging. There's a lot of potential issues involved there that you're going to want to avoid.

Here's one you could try for under $100.

I just installed a 57.3v 15a in a cart... We'll see.

https://www.ebay.com/i/283423911322?...UaAusUEALw_wcB

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
MCJEFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-31-2020, 03:20 PM   #12
S-N-R Customs
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketo View Post
Judging by the pic you have gaps between modules, I assume you intended that for ventilation. Have you used the pack much yet ? Noticed any bulging ?

The packs are bolted together with spacers for dispersing heat. I’ve been running them almost two years and there has been no issues. I BEAT these batteries, I used a 12v 40 amp lead acid charger to charge two at a time. I would set a timer and check the voltage and shut the charger off when it reached 8.3 volts at the batteries. In The pic I just posted, I’m now re-cleaning all the connections, adding fresh No-ox and installing a BMS with a 10amp charger so I can set it and forget it (if you will). I’ll see if I can dig up an old picture of how I had all the charging wires set up.

I know everyone on here is going to say, that’s the completely wrong way of doing lithium.... well I don’t care if I kill a couple of batteries while I learn...

I haven’t killed any yet....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
S-N-R Customs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 05:18 PM   #13
cricketo
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-N-R Customs View Post
well I don’t care if I kill a couple of batteries while I learn...
Killing the batteries isn't the worst thing that can happen as the result. Try to keep the experimentation away from things you care about - your house, your car, etc.
cricketo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 07:28 PM   #14
S-N-R Customs
Gone Wild

The biggest danger is from when they overheat... I spaced them apart and when I ran the charger I used a timer on the outlet so they wouldn’t get left on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
S-N-R Customs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 10:09 PM   #15
Haddixbros
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Ok. I think Ive talked myself out of anything over 72V. Maybe even shy of 72V. Heres another question: I have a lester summit II chsrger (amazing for my 48V lead acid set up). Spec sheet says it will output a max DC voltage of 72V. Does this mean I could do something below that, like a 64V pack? That would probably be enough to satify for now. At least with a leaf set up.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
Haddixbros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 06:34 PM   #16
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

You could run a 16s set up like that and charge to 4v/cell but you'd still need to buy the 72V components (controller & solenoid) minus the charger.

If I was looking to use 16s, I'd get 2 Volt 16s packs and parallel them for around a 90ah pack.
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 01:31 PM   #17
cricketo
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPW View Post
If I was looking to use 16s, I'd get 2 Volt 16s packs and parallel them for around a 90ah pack.
If I'm not mistaken, Volt modules are 12s, not 16s.
Old 02-03-2020, 08:15 PM   #18
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Yes, you can get 12s packs but you can also find the 47-55ah 16s2p packs pretty easily also. I was going to go that route myself but couldn't figure a way to make it a 14s2p safely to keep my current controller.
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 10:51 AM   #19
Haddixbros
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Ok. So, great news. I called Lester electrical and they said their charger will do pretty much any voltage up to 72V. Its all a matter of the BMS doing the heavy lifting. Once the cells reach the right voltage, the high voltage relay will cut off and the smart charger will also **** off. The head guy at the Tech support branch said to set a leaf cell build for a gel profile. Said giys do it all the time. So Im PROBABLY gonna look at doing something just shy of 72V with a leaf cell build

Haddixbros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 04:27 PM   #20
cricketo
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haddixbros View Post
Ok. So, great news. I called Lester electrical and they said their charger will do pretty much any voltage up to 72V. Its all a matter of the BMS doing the heavy lifting. Once the cells reach the right voltage, the high voltage relay will cut off and the smart charger will also **** off. The head guy at the Tech support branch said to set a leaf cell build for a gel profile. Said giys do it all the time. So Im PROBABLY gonna look at doing something just shy of 72V with a leaf cell build

Will the charger be happy to be cut out by BMS ? Some can't tolerate unexpected loss of load. If this is intended for 6 AGM batteries, charging voltage will reach 88 volts. 20 series cells charged to 4.15v will be 83v, so BMS will have to cut the charger before charger thinks the pack is charged.

Quote:
Said giys do it all the time.
Some people jump from cliffs (base jumpers) all the time too. Not necessarily a good idea.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium