lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-27-2020, 08:26 PM   #1
randompartsguy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 2009 RXV slows to a crawl, but runs after charge?

Just had noticed some weird behavior with my 2009 RXV. Battery gauge showed 1/2 and slowed to a crawl and limped it home. Did some research and a lot of signs point to bearing encoder.... But I stuck it on the charger for 45 mins and it was back to performance as normal... is that typical with a bad bearing encoder?
randompartsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-27-2020, 09:54 PM   #2
randompartsguy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2009 RXV slows to a crawl, but runs after charge?

So im guessing I might just have an inaccurate battery gauge.... Charging overnight and we'll try it tomorrow.
Old 05-27-2020, 10:49 PM   #3
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

The only help I can offer is to get a dvm to get a good reading on your batteries. Do it 10-12 hours after they come off the charger and again when the cart is acting up.
What kind of batteries and how old are they?
orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 12:04 AM   #4
randompartsguy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeman6 View Post
The only help I can offer is to get a dvm to get a good reading on your batteries. Do it 10-12 hours after they come off the charger and again when the cart is acting up.
What kind of batteries and how old are they?
Definitely gonna give that a shot. The batteries are 2018 Trojans so I値l check voltage and check water tomorrow. Had just picked up the cart about two weeks ago and never plugged the charger in, thought it didn稚 need it based on battery meter.

After some digging on the forum it sounds that I shouldn稚 be running down the batteries this way.
Old 05-28-2020, 12:26 AM   #5
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Yep, and you didnt mention if it was the OEM "needle gas gauge" style meter. If so, it doesnt even know or care about battery state of charge, it only displays what the controller has reported charge level is, it's just a indicator that's instructed by the controller what to say. No need to "kill the messenger" & waste your money on a new OEM gauge that will display the exact same thing (as reported by the controller).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 06:40 AM   #6
EzIndyGo
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

This is information that I researched over the past month as I'm new to electric and carts all together. This is the a crash course every electric cart owner should get.

As others have said, you need to get an accurate reading off the battery pack after a good charge. If you picked it up a couple weeks ago and have never charged it, you probably ran the batteries way down. It doesn't a require a fancy handheld, and a $7 one from Harbor Freight will do the job. You can also get a digital volt meter from a site sponsor for pretty cheap.
https://www.cartsunlimited.net/battery-meters.html

The biggest "head turner" for me was what battery readings should be and how low you should let your voltage drop:

I just assumed a 36V cart should be 36V. However, a full 36V pack should be reading 38.2V from Battery 1 Positive to Battery 6 Negative. If you're a 48V cart, the reading should 50.93. As said before, these reading should be taken 12 Hours after a charging cycle.

Try not to drop your battery pack's voltage below 36.31V or 48.41V for 36V and 48V carts respectively.

Keep water in them. The previous owner of my cart didn't know what he was doing. My battery pack would never hold a 38.2 charge (still doesn't). I checked the water and it took nearly a gallon of distilled water to fill them where they needed to be. After a month of initiating multiple charge cycles, I've slowly risen my pack charge to 37.7-37.9 versus the 37.3-37.4 where I started. Not sure I'll ever get them back to 38.2. However, the life of them is much better.

I'm assuming all your cables are clean and free of corrosion?

Plug your cart in every night if possible. Also, if you're riding small spurts throughout the day, I've read that you shouldn't plug in every time. Just drive it until you start approaching that 36.31V mark. Again, having the digital meter always showing helps. Give the cart a few minutes to rest/recover before using the Voltage displayed. It will usually gain a few .xV after sitting, so it's not as low as you think.

When driving, try not to mash the pedal from a stop. Also, if you don't have to have top speed, don't travel at 100% throttle all the time. Reducing the load/demand on the battery pack will just help you get that much more run time out of them.

EzIndyGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 07:27 AM   #7
Diesel24v
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzIndyGo View Post
This is information that I researched over the past month as I'm new to electric and carts all together. This is the a crash course every electric cart owner should get.

As others have said, you need to get an accurate reading off the battery pack after a good charge. If you picked it up a couple weeks ago and have never charged it, you probably ran the batteries way down. It doesn't a require a fancy handheld, and a $7 one from Harbor Freight will do the job. You can also get a digital volt meter from a site sponsor for pretty cheap.
https://www.cartsunlimited.net/battery-meters.html

The biggest "head turner" for me was what battery readings should be and how low you should let your voltage drop:

I just assumed a 36V cart should be 36V. However, a full 36V pack should be reading 38.2V from Battery 1 Positive to Battery 6 Negative. If you're a 48V cart, the reading should 50.93. As said before, these reading should be taken 12 Hours after a charging cycle.

Try not to drop your battery pack's voltage below 36.31V or 48.41V for 36V and 48V carts respectively.

Keep water in them. The previous owner of my cart didn't know what he was doing. My battery pack would never hold a 38.2 charge (still doesn't). I checked the water and it took nearly a gallon of distilled water to fill them where they needed to be. After a month of initiating multiple charge cycles, I've slowly risen my pack charge to 37.7-37.9 versus the 37.3-37.4 where I started. Not sure I'll ever get them back to 38.2. However, the life of them is much better.

I'm assuming all your cables are clean and free of corrosion?

Plug your cart in every night if possible. Also, if you're riding small spurts throughout the day, I've read that you shouldn't plug in every time. Just drive it until you start approaching that 36.31V mark. Again, having the digital meter always showing helps. Give the cart a few minutes to rest/recover before using the Voltage displayed. It will usually gain a few .xV after sitting, so it's not as low as you think.

When driving, try not to mash the pedal from a stop. Also, if you don't have to have top speed, don't travel at 100% throttle all the time. Reducing the load/demand on the battery pack will just help you get that much more run time out of them.

So is the 48.41 voltage taken on a resting battery? Or should the voltage never drop below that while running.

I have a digital volt meter that I installed in my cart and it definitely drops below that during acceleration. But now that I知 thinking about it. I tapped into the wires for the factory state of charge meter to get the reading. So really I知 reading what the controller is reporting and possibly not actual pack voltage? I probably need to move my connection directly to the battery pack and not tap into the Factory SOC connector?
Diesel24v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 08:05 AM   #8
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel24v View Post
So is the 48.41 voltage taken on a resting battery? Or should the voltage never drop below that while running.

I have a digital volt meter that I installed in my cart and it definitely drops below that during acceleration. But now that I知 thinking about it. I tapped into the wires for the factory state of charge meter to get the reading. So really I知 reading what the controller is reporting and possibly not actual pack voltage? I probably need to move my connection directly to the battery pack and not tap into the Factory SOC connector?
NEVER tap into the SOC guage wires on an RXV or Express! That is the fastest way to fry your controller in a way that can not be repaired! There are 5V and HV battery pack voltages present in that factory SOC guage and harness. Even FSIP will not repair a controller fried that way, because it damages so many components in the controller that may continue to work for a while and fail later.

With lead/acid batteries, always plug in the charger after EVERY use if you can. It is called opportunity charging. To wait until the voltage drops to a certain point before charging ensures that you will damage cells in your pack with sulphation. Dealers love to tell cart owners these things so they can sell them replacement batteries more often...
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 08:57 AM   #9
EzIndyGo
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel24v View Post
The full charge 48.41 should be taken 12 hours after the charge cycle has ended. My 36V cart stops charging at 45V. It then slowly drops over a period of time. You need to give the pack ample time to "settle" before taking a reading. Tie your red/black wires for your DVM directly into the battery pack as I described in my first post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
With lead/acid batteries, always plug in the charger after EVERY use if you can. It is called opportunity charging. To wait until the voltage drops to a certain point before charging ensures that you will damage cells in your pack with sulphation. Dealers love to tell cart owners these things so they can sell them replacement batteries more often...
I apologize if my statement about not charging every chance was wrong. What I had gathered is if you're going to be on/off the cart over a course of a day or few hours, don't plug it in every single time you're stopped. Let it discharge some (but NOT below the 50-60% mark) before a recharge.

Is this incorrect? If so, apparently what I had read about "opportunity charging" or "topping off" on Lead Acid versus Lithium was wrong.
EzIndyGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 05:58 PM   #10
randompartsguy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks guys for the good info. I had found the battery voltage and recommended charging practices after I had created the post and it definitely gave me the crash course on batteries and charging.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO