lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-20-2021, 01:57 PM   #1
InfiniteReality
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default InfiniteReality's '99 Lowered EZGO TXT Build

First things first… Props and big thanks to Hotcat and his build thread. While the thread is a over a decade old, was full of valuable information for my build. Thanks Hotcat!

I acquired my ’99 EZ-GO TXT from my grandparents, both who passed away in 2020. We have a small size family on that side and I was the only one interested in the golf cart, but it needs new batteries. It’s a great starting point nonetheless. My grandfather and his neighbor had some sort of deal when he got it, still don’t know what deal they had as to how he got the cart other than my grandfather did buy new batteries for it. I called his neighbor to tell him as far as the family was concerned it cart was his cart, but if he decided to sell it, I’d like to have first dibs. He was gracious enough to let me have the cart as is, with a charger. No doubt my grandparents would be excited to know their cart will be used for many years to come, especially for my wife and 2yr old.

My grandparents couldn’t maintain the batteries as needed and I’m fixing to be in between jobs, I took a chance to get a little more life out of them. I removed all the cables, added 2 full gallons of distilled water between all 6 batteries and charged them individually. While I had zero expectations, it was free to do and actually got a little more life out of them. On a “full” charge now, I have about 1/8 of an actual full charge. Enough to tinker with and drive a little bit for now. With it being winter, it won’t be used much anyways so by spring I should be good to go with purchasing a full set of new batteries and use the cart as it’s meant to be.

As most people reading in this forum knows, anyone that modifies a cart typically goes with a lift kit. I’ve never been one to follow the norm or been into lift trucks (or trucks in general) so it was obvious to me it will get lowered. With the advice from Hotcat’s thread on how to accomplish that, I believe I can do it without spending much money (win!). I will likely end up using air shocks in the future, but for the time being I’ll flip the front leafs 180deg, relocate the mounting tabs so I can continue to use the stock shocks without (much) issue. The rear will be done like most, 2” square tubing and some square 6” U-bolts. I saw the tie rod end boots are torn, so they will get replaced (now or later, price depending).

My “thing” is electrical stuff, especially lighting including LED. LEDs are my thing and if you spell my first name backwards, you get LED coincidentally. The stars definitely have aligned, lol. Had some eBay Bucks to spend before February so went ahead and ordered the OEM-style headlight & taillights. Mainly because I wanted/needed to pull dimensions to attempt to find alternatives for some nicer looking lights, as well as more light output. Undecided if I’ll just swap out LED headlights they come with, including running light or gut the whole bezel and figure a way to mount something longer. Typical clear lens replacement for taillights unless I can find an alternative to use. May design my own.

Dimensions:
Headlight 4 3/4" x 2 5/8”
Signal 2 3/4" x 1 3/8”
Taillight 4 1/2" x 2 1/2"
Interior Bezel 7-3/8” x 2-7/8”

I am good with using AutoCAD and halfway decent with 3D modeling in it, so I suspect I’ll come across things I’ll end up modeling and printing. Like brackets for the above lights to secure new ones. Also likely some emblems for the cart and who knows what else I’ll come up with, but expect a few things to show up.

I’m generally good at taking pictures and sharing on forums, as well as explaining what I did. I don’t expect that to change for this build, although it’ll be a little slow to get going due to funds. Previous full builds are pretty random vehicles, but cool (to me) nonetheless.
- Converted a ’06 Honda CRF50 I bought from 10yr old to street legal here in Louisiana. Also redid after making street legal with extended swing arm, powdercoat everything I could, skinned plastics in 2x2 twill carbon fiber, list goes on…
- Chinese 125cc CRF50 clone, MiniMoto and street legal.
- ’09 Suzuki Hayabusa (new) down to frame/engine with +6 swing arm, 250 wide tire, no chrome, Plasti-Dipped fairings 8x in total before selling. Mod list goes on and on...
- Currently in process is ’02 Suzuki Marauder my dad owned since new and passed on to me since he hasn’t ridden in a long time. Nothing special other than updating lighting, retrofit H-D taillight, lots of pitted chrome parts powdercoated gloss black and a lot of maintenance items.
- Superlite Coupe (SLC). Goal was to build the kit myself, but a kid came along so ended up sending it to get finished. FYI best decision ever as I’ve realized before she got here that it’d taken me many, many, many years to complete while raising a young kid. Not sure if links are allowed on here, but since it’s not cart related it may be okay. Highly recommend checking them out, suspension is automotive jewelry http://www.superlitecars.com/slc . While I didn’t build it, I most definitely have taken a lot of it apart to make it more than the typical build… This part is what I enjoy more than anything, although do enjoy driving it.

Future plans for the TXT:
- This cart is mainly for the wife and kid to use and obviously a toy for me to tinker with.
- Powdercoat exposed metal items gloss black, mainly the roof supports.
- Learn to plastic weld to fill in any holes
- Paint or Plasti-Dip the body, thinking paint since it’d be a perfect item to learn on. Have a thing for medium-to-dark gray with orange accents
- Potentially purchase a VIP-style dash, mainly to run a 7” 2DIN head unit
- Chinese Android based 7” head unit (have spare from SLC build on hand I’ll likely use)
- 12” wheels, gunmetal or polished, with 18” A/T tires (I said I like to be different)
- Paint roof black, potentially skin it in carbon fiber (wishful thinking)
- Considering chopping roof some
- TBD
Attached Images
File Type: jpg index3.jpg (199.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg index4.jpg (59.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg index2.jpg (208.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg index5.jpg (208.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg index1.jpg (199.5 KB, 0 views)
InfiniteReality is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-21-2021, 09:25 PM   #2
Jake_Daddy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: InfiniteReality's '99 Lowered EZGO TXT Build

That's a nice cart. Don't know much about ezgo's but when you get 3d printing parts don't skimp on the infill. I have made some decorative items like steering wheel center caps with low infill that have been fine but if you go to anything thats gonna be shaken a lot take the extra time and plastic to beef it up. Have fun with your new toy!
Jake_Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 09:16 AM   #3
InfiniteReality
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake_Daddy View Post
That's a nice cart. Don't know much about ezgo's but when you get 3d printing parts don't skimp on the infill. I have made some decorative items like steering wheel center caps with low infill that have been fine but if you go to anything thats gonna be shaken a lot take the extra time and plastic to beef it up. Have fun with your new toy!
Thanks! I don't know much about them either, but will shortly!

Totally agree, anything other than decorative items need some good infill for sure. And anything that needs to be smooth is worth sending off to get done in a better material than what my little printer can do...although it is 6-7yrs old. As long as parts are small, it's fairly cheap to do. Not a clue what I'll come up with, but as I go I'm sure I'll get some ideas. Whatever it is, I plan to share the files on here...or any other information like headlight replacement options.

I also have a Silhouette vinyl cutter, although probably not very useful for a cart. Was nice when I was plasti-dipping the Hayabusa as I made my own OEM graphic replicas and was able to cut them all out after every dip.

Since no pics to share of anything cart related and a little bored, here's pics of 3D emblems and street legal fiddy and bike in all 8 colors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHgb0Y8pmSY
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8527.jpg (222.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8554.jpg (217.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20191024_151247.jpg (211.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20191024_155125.jpg (199.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20191024_173212.jpg (212.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-22-2021, 09:02 PM   #4
Wakko47
Gone Loco

Club Car

Welcome! You may be able to get more out of the batteries if you clean them out with baking soda. There’s a good thread about it. No, they won’t be like new, but better than dead.
Wakko47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 08:39 AM   #5
InfiniteReality
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakko47 View Post
Welcome! You may be able to get more out of the batteries if you clean them out with baking soda. There’s a good thread about it. No, they won’t be like new, but better than dead.
Shoot, that's good info and a thread I missed! I'll definitely search for it and totally worth a shot. 1/8 of a charge now isn't horrible and can drive up and down the road with no issues, but definitely will give that a shot! Thanks!
Old 01-26-2021, 09:22 AM   #6
InfiniteReality
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I'll be picking up some baking soda and battery acid this evening to clean out the bum batteries and possibly get additional life out of them.

Aired up the tires last night, didn't realize how low they were. Should help with the distance of the bum batteries. Also was raining here in Louisiana so got to slide the cart around in the driveway..way more fun than I expected even though only could get the car only 90deg.
Old 02-14-2021, 03:07 PM   #7
InfiniteReality
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Got my new LED headlights in from China. They are 1/2" smaller, but there's nothing out there with same dimensions.
It looks alot more size difference in the pictures due to the black bezels on the new lights. Not totally excited about the white DRLs, but like I said not many choices. I may run them, I may not, will see how they look once installed. I knew I'd have to figure a way to mount them in the EZGO bezels so being smaller I am able to kill 2 birds with 1 stone and make bezels for these new lights to mount like old ones. Using CAD to design and model the new bezels for the retrofit. I kept the vertical alignment mounts so can easily make them even. Few hours and test prints later, I had a design to print the full prototype bezel as shown.

I also located some replacement parking lights that have similar dimensions as ones from the kit, replacing for appearance reasons. They are actually turn signals and sequential which may look cool when I first turn them on. Should be here next week.

For anyone curious why I didn't use the LED lights that came with the kit, I hated the chrome look for my plans with the cart. Equally hate them due to the beam pattern being horrible, basically like floodlights... which means no useful throw distance and absolutely no cutoff. It's a pet peeve of mine to not blind oncoming traffic, even if it a golf cart. These have a nice throw distance and nice cutoff.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PXL_20210213_230506830.jpg (254.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg PXL_20210214_031255103.jpg (146.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg PXL_20210214_192413279.jpg (276.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg PXL_20210214_192426589.jpg (261.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg PXL_20210214_192607893.jpg (276.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-14-2021, 03:17 PM   #8
InfiniteReality
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Also in middle of lowering it. I thought I could just flip the front springs 180 and relocate the shocks but due to shocks being shot it sits too low and can't mount a tire. Ordered some air shocks for the front so I can adjust the height of the front.

Since I have a 99 and the 3 bolt steering column, I'm not able to shorten the shaft. It looks like I can flip the tie end rods to the bottom of the steering so it clears the leafs. Also discovered the tie end rods were shot so ordered new ones to replace. Picture attached is after I flipped springs back to stock orientation so can move the cart around till shocks get here.

Considered using 2" square tubing to lower the front but may not be worth the effort when can flip the springs.

Rear us just lowered via 2" square tubing. When I get air shocks for the rear, I'll probably go lower and adjust them back up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PXL_20210211_200140686.jpg (216.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg PXL_20210211_185338612.jpg (194.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-14-2021, 11:12 PM   #9
InfiniteReality
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Couple pictures showing the original LED headlights vs the new ones. As you can tell with the new ones, there's a distinct cutoff and now. I attempted to take a picture of the original lights against the far wall of my shop (50ft) and in pictures you can't even tell I shined light on it...but can tell with the new light.

Completely pointless mod for a cart, but I enjoy this kind of stuff. Also included a picture of the DRL (daytime running light) halo for kicks. Unsure if I'll wire them up until I see them on the cart, may look cheesy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PXL_20210214_231827100.jpg (138.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg PXL_20210214_231608283.jpg (163.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg PXL_20210214_231623721.jpg (244.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg PXL_20210214_231545585.jpg (168.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-19-2021, 11:10 PM   #10
InfiniteReality
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Since parking light is recessed, for kicks making a bezel for it. It's an aftermarket side marker with similar dimensions and sequential even (if decided to do turn signals). Great fit on first try. Need to tweak shape of light, but totally guessed on shape. Wish I had a scanner, could have traced and gotten better fit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PXL_20210219_221859536.jpg (202.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg PXL_20210220_023753769.jpg (172.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg PXL_20210220_023903769.jpg (164.8 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO