lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-12-2010, 01:03 PM   #1
dtkana
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default 48 Volt Conversion

I am looking at converting an 85 CC, 5-solenoid/resistor cart to 48v solid state. I have read most everything on the site and still had a couple of questions.

I recently replaced everything on my 01 48v Series CC, so I have all the stock electrical parts needed with the exception of the PB-6. Is that a correct statement? Does it hurt to use all stock components initially since I have them and upgrade everything as needed if I decide to? If not, what do I absolutely have to upgrade for the conversion?

I would like to take all my stock components removed from my 01 which are: solenoid, cables, controller and F&R and install them on the conversion cart.

I have also read the 36v F&R is fine with the 48v conversion. Is this true?

Is my stock controller out of a 01 CC, 0-5 or 5-0?
dtkana is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-12-2010, 03:38 PM   #2
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 48 Volt Conversion

I think as long as the 2001 parts are for a series motor it should all work fine, except maybe some of the cables might be short? You may have to run some new wiring as your 85 wont have all the leads needed for later model controls, but by using a 2001 wiring diagram you shouldn't have any problem. The 36 volt motor works like a torque motor on 48 volts and works great as long as motor is in good condition. Brush arc is bad on 36 volt but much worse on 48 volts. On the stock controller I would need the make and numbers to confirm which resisters 0-5 or 5-0? Yes you would need a Curtis PB-6 speed control, as you wouldnt be able to convert a 85 CC linkage to MCOR.
Good luck and if help is needed you know where to go RIGHT.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 04:00 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Your controller is 5k-0 .... you will need a throttle input to match that. The Curtis pots can be modified to match that, but I dunno if you can buy one? A v-glide with multi-step resistors would do the 5k-0 also.

I recommend that people go with a 0-5k controller just because of the availability of so much stuff as opposed to the 5k-0 .... But I understand you already own a 5k-0 unit.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 05:10 PM   #4
dtkana
Gone Wild
Club Car

I forgot one thing. I guess I buy an automatic or on-board charger since there is no OBC?

Any charger recommendations?
dtkana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 10:26 AM   #5
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

I have purchased several automatic chargers LV 3648 Multi Volt Super Chargers from LVS Sales, and so far working great for owners. Being a dual voltage 36 and 48 volt charger you need to order correct plug in for your cart. Only complaint has been a little slow on 48 volts as max output is 15 amps, but thats as fast as lots of other chargers? Last purchased price was $220. and could be more now? You might be able to find a used 48 volt CC charger but then you would have to add OBC at about $235. so see that its worth the extra cost? Not too many 48 volt chargers around other than CC and of course you would be taking a chance on condition?
Hope this helps?
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 10:29 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You would NOT put an OBC into your conversion.
You would find a new or used stand alone 48v charger (not CC )
Hope this helps
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car