lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-25-2010, 09:26 PM   #1
falconer_39
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 85 ezgo textron

ok guys here is what i have in the works now
i paid 100 bucks for this cart it has been setting up a good while the tank was full of old gas and it has some kind of gunk in the bottom of the tank i dont know what it is but it is like tar could be stabilizer or a oil mixture any way it starts good with eather but will not run long so i will take the carb out and clean it up but i notice the oil pump is not pumping oil how do i check that and also when you put it in reverse the start/gen will not do its job but in forward it does like it suppose to do
thanks guys for your help
Dave
falconer_39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-25-2010, 10:20 PM   #2
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 85 ezgo textron

Well it's hard to know what might have happened but I would guess that;
at some stage a previous owner has discovered that the oil pump was not working and has started to put oil in the fuel tank. Unfortunately when you do this the oil has a tendency to sink to the bottom of the tank without really mixing with the gas. The correct proceedure is to mix an ounce of oil with a gallon of gas in a can and shake it vigorously before adding it to the fuel tank. You should go steady trying to start it on ether, the cart needs oil to lubricate the bottom end. If you need to spray something into the air inlet to start it you would be better off mixing some 128:1 solution and putting that into an empty washing liquid type bottle.

There are many reasons why your cart won't start but if you think it is running on ether than you probably have a spark. If it were my cart I would disconnect the oil pump and seal the pipe to the elbow behing the carburetter. Remove the tank and clean it. Replace all the fuel lines and any fuel filter. Mix some fuel and oil at 128:1 and fill the tank. Remove the line to the carburetter and crank the engine. If you get a good flow replace the line and try to start the engine. If it still does not run remove the carb and clean it being sure to remove the idle nozzle, the main jet and the main nozzle. These can be cleaned with carb cleaner and some copper wire (which is soft enough not to damage the orifices). Now she might start.

With regard to not starting in reverse I suggest that you remove the cables from the starter and clean all the connectors. When undoing the cables use a thin wrench under the connector to ensure that the post does not turn. If this does not work do the same on the F-R switch.

Good Luck
Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 08:06 AM   #3
falconer_39
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

ok thank i will try that
i really dont trust those self oiler anyway i killed a very good racing endoro dirt bike one day during a race one day i didnt catch it in time
but these gas powered cart are so new to me never had one
Old 09-29-2010, 08:04 AM   #4
falconer_39
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

ok i got it running thanks for the info
now here are a few more questions

(1) when i got the cart it had no seat so i took the seat off my 94 ezgo electric cart that some scrap scavenger gutted while my family and i was gone to see some sick kin folks well any way when i put the seat on and try to ride it the thing would not go when i pressed the pedal hard i felt the seat raise a little i looked at it again and i notice the exhaust pipe was hitting the seat and my weight would not let it engage so does the seat that goes in it have a curve under the seat for that exhaust pipe can move under it
when you push the pedal the engine and every thing under the seat moves upward is that normal

(2) with the rear end off the ground and you press the pedal to crank it and go it seems to me it has one speed wide open that it there is no idle so how does these thing work
when i stop pressing the pedal it dies so i guess that is normal
these Gasser are new to me

(3) this thing is low to the ground i think the spring in it are dead and i was thinking about putting my electric cart leaf springs under it can this be done
well this is all for now guy thanks for all the help
Dave
Old 09-29-2010, 10:26 AM   #5
falconer_39
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

ok i found out why the exhaust was hitting the seat
the guy that had it before me broke the front motor mount and it was on the throttle lever
i got that back the way it is suppose to be now i have a low speed and high speed

now i notice the dust cover over the centrifugal pulley is cracked can i epoxy that and it work or do i need to find a new one
i also notice that when you get it in high speed that cover pushes on a lever that goes to the carb is that a high speed governor to keep you from over reeving it and is it needed
here is a few picture of that cover thanks guys
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DCP02383.jpg (81.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg DCP02385.jpg (69.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg DCP02386.jpg (71.7 KB, 3 views)
Old 09-29-2010, 10:35 AM   #6
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

If your engine/cradle mounts are shot, you will get some upward and lateral (towards the drivers side) motion when you start and run the cart, but it shouldn't be enough for anything to contact the bottom of the seat unless they are utterly and completely GONE. The mounts are on either side of the engine cradle (attached to the cradle and swingarm) and look like this:

If they look like mine in the pic, trust me, they're shot (my engine cradle was moving enough to actually cause the driven clutch to hit the engine - NOT good). Best price I found from online stores was $12 each (You'll need 3) but Ebay netted me 3 shipped for $26

As to the throttle, that's a little tricky but not so bad, the throttle arms on these carts are set up backwards to most carbs (meaning that with no cable pressure they return to "wide open throttle" instead of "off") - a simple adjustment of the throttle cable stop should restore your low speed. Also of note, make sure there is a spring between the cable stop and the throttle arm, that ensures that the butterfly closes completely when the pedal is released (and also gives you a little slack so the throttle isn't wide open by the time the pedal switch engages the starter).

As to the springs, wait for one of the "Big Boys" to come along and help you out, sorry but what little I know is strictly 2PG gas!
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:42 AM   #7
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Oops - posted a little late, sorry! That cover is available through buggiesunlimited dot com for like $8 (save the little button though as you'll need to reinstall it). The cover you have that cracked is probably a direct result of the broken motor mount, as i mentioned above my bad mount caused me to have to replace the driven clutch cover too!

The governor is up to you, you'll want to be responsible with your RPM's if you disable it (if the kids, etc are riding it often then I'd leave it on to avoid over-revving your engine). My cart gets a workout now and then with my drinkin buddies, so I ended up restoring the governor to operational status - it doesn't really affect the top end speed by more than 2-4mph, but it's definite "peace of mind" for me
Old 09-29-2010, 11:07 AM   #8
falconer_39
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

ok thank for the help
in this picture you see the broke front mount that square bracket was on top of the throttle lever thats why it was hitting my seat
this is how it looks after i figure out that it was wrong
after i got it back in the right place i have high and low speed now

what is that cap for a dust cover and Governor too
i plan on epoxing that cap and put it back on i was wondering if i really needed that governor or not
it looks like to me that all it does is cut down on the rpm at top speed to keep you from over reeving it
i guess its there to keep you at a safe speed but is it really needed
Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DCP02389.jpg (126.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg DCP02387.jpg (101.2 KB, 12 views)
Old 09-29-2010, 11:17 AM   #9
falconer_39
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

ok i got you me and my son will be the main drivers on this cart but i can see what you mean about having it hooked up thanks for your help
as far as getting more speed from it
i just got this for putting around the house i don't go mud riding any more so i got rid of my 4 wheelers i need something to go to the garden and back to haul the crops home with lol
Old 09-29-2010, 11:34 AM   #10
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

I don't know if epoxy would hold, that sucker does a pretty respectable RPM at speed - better to pop the $8 in my opinion. Again, the governor is a personal call, you'd be amazed how easy it is to overrev these 2PG motors, especially on hills (or even on the flats, for that matter, if the governor is completely disabled) ... Leaving the governor on won't cost you a single bit of torque, climbing power, or accelleration, it will just be a good failsafe against damaging your engine.

If it's speed you're worried about losing, My cart GPS'd at 23mph with no governor and was on the brink of over-revving according to my tach, I set the governor for about 500RPM under factory RPM max (it's not an exact science, obviously, but it's close) and I'm still hitting 21mph on the GPS - 2mph versus another engine rebuild was an easy call (for me) to make
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO