lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-30-2011, 12:29 AM   #1
down under
Just Don't Touch.

Club Car

Default battery care

Hi guys,
I have 48 volt system in my golf cart,could you tell me what ratio of baking soda and water I use to clean any debris off batteries.
Do I top up low water levels before I charge.

Rick.
down under is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-30-2011, 06:44 AM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: battery care

top off batteries with distilled water before charging, as for the baking soda i don,t think theres any set formula but i,m certain someone will tell you how much they use..........................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 07:30 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I prefer the spray cleaner from Deka but when I use baking soda here is what I do;
hose off the battery tops. sprinkle the BS powder over the wet tops using extra at the terminals and any trouble spots. Usually half the small box is used. Let it sit 10-15 minutes and rinse. Blow dry with leaf blower or compressed air... apply terminal protector.

Battery water seems to expand during charging, so if you do need to add water before charge leave them low but cover the lead plates...I only fill very low cells before and usually fill after charging as recommended.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 08:36 AM   #4
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

if batteries are really bad you can also use a can of coke or pepsi to get the grunge off.......works quite well.......................................
Old 05-30-2011, 10:30 AM   #5
Juiceman
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

It's recommended to top off with water after a charge cycle. You could periodically check the levels after every charge just to be on top of it. If the levels are allowed to fall below the tops of the plates the battery life will be cut short. Plus you risk injury because the plates will grow and short out, increasing the possibility of an explosion.

The Pepsi and Coke tip is accurate. I have used Coca-Cola before. And to think we drink that stuff!
Juiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 10:34 AM   #6
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiceman View Post
It's recommended to top off with water after a charge cycle. You could periodically check the levels after every charge just to be on top of it. If the levels are allowed to fall below the tops of the plates the battery life will be cut short. Plus you risk injury because the plates will grow and short out, increasing the possibility of an explosion.

The Pepsi and Coke tip is accurate. I have used Coca-Cola before. And to think we drink that stuff!
i know scary isn,t it..................................
Old 05-30-2011, 06:07 PM   #7
rmarcusy
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Putting baking soda on the batterys is used for nutulizing the acid, so it doesn't burn your fingers... after that you should take the cables off and clean with a soft wire brush, put back on and put something( I use die-electrict grease) to protect them.
rmarcusy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 06:36 PM   #8
down under
Just Don't Touch.

Club Car

Thanks guys, I knew you fellas would come back with answers before I found old threads or sticky's.
Shadowman and juiceman,you all confirmed what I thought,I had to check when I heard some { I have to mention the 4 letter word} GOLF,guys saying they charged after two rounds,cart would be well below 50%..
rmarcusy. and Scotty, we can't get the same gear U blokes use,I have always used Sabesto made by Wurth,it protects battery terminals permanently against oxidation,I've used it well before I got Cart,on my boats. shadow and juiceman your right about pepsi and coke,when we were kids use to soak pennies in it ,would turn them a very shiney copper.
Besides I would not be game to use one of wifes pepsi's on battery terminals
the battery grease I use is a bit like acid,Big sign says don't get on skin.
Thanks again.
down under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 07:41 PM   #9
rmarcusy
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

many things protect your posts,,, they just need to keep the gasses out and not conduct elect,,, regular grease will conduct elect on the top of your battery and run your battery down. take a volt meter and put one lead on a post and just touch the top of your battery and see if you get a volt reading,, if you do clean the tops and the drain goes away.
Most product that are labled as (Spark plug boot compound) are die-elect compound,,, I've seen good relults with spray paint.
rmarcusy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car