lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-26-2011, 03:32 PM   #1
Squishycart
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 88 gas club car, looking for big HP engine. Need suggestions

I have a 1988 gas Club Car. From what im told I have a Kawasaki 10hp flat head in it and I want to change out for a much bigger engine for increased HP, but dont know where to start. Around 30 or 40Hp or so would be ideal, mabey more? and where i can find them. cost , ect. Any help would be greatly appriciated, Im new here. Thanks
Squishycart is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-30-2011, 11:41 AM   #2
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: 88 gas club car, looking for big HP engine. Need suggestions

First you have to figure out what trans you have, some of the CC turn backwards the engine runs backwards and replacements do not. There are ways to get around this. Most go with a 23 vanguard there are lots of parts to hop them up. There is stuff for Kohlers and hondas (24hp) too but harder to find. You can also go larger like a 35 B&S or 29 Kawasaki. You may have to lift the cart and move the cradle down to fit them. Beyond that you can go to an ATV engine the larger polaris use the CVT and you can find say a 700cc there is a twin even. Or go to a motorcycle engine but the install gets more complicated. A sled engine 2 stroke will work too if you can figure out how to fit the exhaust in there or you lose a lot of power.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 06:06 PM   #3
Squishycart
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the heads up on the trans sho305, that will get me started in the right direction, will post this weekend when I have a little more time to look things over.And again , any advice is appriciated, I'm very green to this cart thing but very eager to learn.
Old 07-03-2011, 02:34 AM   #4
jace1975
Gone Wild

Club Car

I have the same cart as you. The stock engine is 8.5 hp. I just finished installing a 18hp BB in my cart and can only say I'm not sure how much more you could really need. Your engine and transmission are counterclockwise rotating the same as the Big Block engines so nothing would change. If you really want big hp a 23hp with the cam and rev kit might be a good option. Not sure what the final hp rating would be though. Try asking the Big Block Man he would know if anyone does. I would think that the main thing you need to ask yourself is how you intend to use your cart. Are you looking for top speed or low end torque? Your top speed is mostly changed through the gear ratio of rear end (12 to 1 stock but can be changed to 8 to 1's or 6 to 1's) and tire size. Like I said, we have the same cart, so whatever you decide, hit me up. I put 22" tires on mine and a 6" a-arm lift kit. Maybe I can save you some of the problems I have already been through.

Last edited by jace1975; 07-03-2011 at 02:45 AM.. Reason: grammer
jace1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 09:13 AM   #5
Squishycart
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I do want a little speed 35 or so , but my main concern is
lots of low end T . How is that 18 workin out for you Jace1975? what gears are you running in it?
Old 07-03-2011, 10:35 AM   #6
jace1975
Gone Wild

Club Car

My gears are stock. Just got it running yesterday and practically spent the whole day ridin it after that. Looks like it will top out around 30 mph or so. Adding 6 to 1 gears should add another 12 mph or so to that. Not sure if I will though. It is plenty fast for me. Any more power and the front end will start coming up too easy, had my nephew stand on the back yesterday and pulled a wheelie right off.
jace1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:23 PM   #7
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I was amazed at the torque of the clone 16, it will spin the tires up grass ditches that are very steep with two guys on the cart, starting right at the bottom. That is with trail pro 22x11s on. Its at least double the power, but they don't rev much speed same as stock but you get there way faster. With one guy on same cart/tires and stock G9 it just crawls up that ditch you don't think it will make it. This clone does have a cut sheave on the secondary, otherwise all stock clutches and everything. It (the sheave) does have a lower gear compared to stock it helps it get up rpm quicker since clutch is stock yami, but the power is there not sure it matters that much.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!