lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-11-2012, 02:12 PM   #1
Edwardlmcc
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default 06 Club Car Brake problem.

Previously posted incorrectly in Yamaha which I no longer have.

2006 Club Car SN-AQ06***** Elec.
Lifted
10" tires

I need to check my brakes. The drum is loose but won't come off, How can I back off the adjuster so the drum clears the shoes? On the backside bottom of the assembly I pulled back the rubber dust cover, which in in the same position as the adjuster, there is a nut, is that how to back off the adjustment?
I tried turning it a little in both directions with no help, it seems to tighten up when moved in both directions.
Thank you for any help.

Edward in PTC, GA
Edwardlmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-11-2012, 02:20 PM   #2
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 06 Club Car Brake problem.

There is a spring loaded latch that engages/adjusts the auto adjust mechanism . . to back off the brake adjustment, that latch must be lifted free from the adjusting wheel so the adjusting wheel can be rotated in reverse to back shoes off from drum . . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:17 PM   #3
Edwardlmcc
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Hello Steve, Thanks for replyinj so quickly.
I don't see any spring to release, There is a plate over the hole on the back side with the cable connected to the rear of the cart and a nut in front of it, now that I've got a better look at it I've loosened it but not removed it and the pads still have the drum locked on, they move maybe 1/4 of an inch but no more. I don't want to get to rough with it or I may have to buy more parts than I want to.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:38 PM   #4
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

The part that I am talking about is inside the brake drum area where the shoes are mounted . . the rubber on the back of the backing plate where the brake actuating lever enters the backing plate is removable and you should be able to see the adjusting lever engaged on the adjusting wheel . . the adjusting lever is spring loaded and can be raised away from the adjusting wheel so it can be rotated in reverse to release the shoes from the drum . . .

See page 4-2 here:

Attachment 65128

Detail 11 in diagram is the adjusting wheel I mention . . detail 9 is the lever that is spring loaded and latches into detail 11 to constantly keep shoes adjusted to drum . . lift that lever away from detail 11 and then using flat head screwdriver, you should be able to rotate the adjusting wheel in reverse to back the shoes/remove pressure from drum . .

If all else fails, you can cut the heads off of detail #7 (Pin) from the back of the backing plate . . these two pins hold the brake shoes to the backing plate . . then pry the drum off and the shoes will come off with the drum . . be careful as the related springs may fly about the place, though . . .
Old 04-11-2012, 04:00 PM   #5
Edwardlmcc
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

OK I got now, the nut I mentioned needs to be removed to move the plate.
I should be able to handle it now.
Thanks for the help and the diagram.
Thank you,
Edward
Old 04-11-2012, 04:03 PM   #6
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwardlmcc View Post
OK I got now, the nut I mentioned needs to be removed to move the plate.
I should be able to handle it now.
Thanks for the help and the diagram.
Thank you,
Edward
. . . read my edit on the above post . . .
Old 04-11-2012, 04:58 PM   #7
Edwardlmcc
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Steve,
Well I took the nut off, the plate off, and the thinner plat under that one and there is still metal hiding the adjuster. please see pic.

Wednesday, April 11, 2012.jpg

I don't know if I did that right.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:13 PM   #8
Edwardlmcc
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

[If all else fails, you can cut the heads off of detail #7 (Pin) from the back of the backing plate . . these two pins hold the brake shoes to the backing plate . . then pry the drum off and the shoes will come off with the drum . . be careful as the related springs may fly about the place, though . . .]

I do that as a last resort, I've not done that many auto brakes and only one other golf cart so I'm not that familiar with replacing evrything.

Thanks for your help.
I won't be doing much more today I'm 68 and have Degenerative Disc Dis and I have used up my energ and pain threshold for the day. I'll post what goes with this thing tomorrow. Thank you. Edward
Old 04-11-2012, 07:39 PM   #9
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

. . . . . . . get fresh start on it tomorrow . . rest . . . Sam Adams . .
Old 04-11-2012, 07:55 PM   #10
Edwardlmcc
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Yes, I did,at first I just pulled upthe front end ,and later I disconnected the cable removed the nut and both plates it was holding and still couldn't access the adjuster as there is another plate there.

Wednesday, April 11, 2012.jpg

I did go out to check out cutting the brake pins and I have nothing that fit in there and cut them.

Thank you for your help, edward
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car