lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-23-2013, 02:42 PM   #1
theskyiscrying
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Crown and Trojan Battery Info just received from Crown dealer

Guys,
As some of you know, I'm a newbie, and just learning here...
I went to a local cart shop today who is a Crown battery dealer now and of course he was trying to sell me Crown's.

He said that he's having to replace Trojan's that are one year old and Trojan is not replacing them. He talks to the Trojan dealer and he says NO.

He also said he had a demonstration done on site with Crown, Trojan and US. Trojan and US reps were there. They unloaded off a tractor trailer a quantity of each battery and weighed each of them. The Trojan's averaged 2 lbs less than spec, the US were over spec by 0.5 lb and the Crown's were 2 lbs over spec.

He said he's not having any issues with Trojan 12v, it's just the 6v batteries.

I know, I know, he's trying to get $565 out of me for Crown 235's, but the demo they did there does make sense and based on what I've heard about the Trojan issues the last year or so, I'm investing my money in Crown's.

Of course, your mileage may vary...
theskyiscrying is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-23-2013, 03:40 PM   #2
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Crown and Trojan Battery Info just received from Crown dealer

Not sure what batteries he's talking about, but some Trojans have more than 1 year warranty on certain models (info. copied from the Trojan website) =

18 months on T-105, T-105 Plus, T875, T-1275, T-1275 Plus and Ranger™ 160; 24 months on
Traveler™ 8V)

RAY
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:44 PM   #3
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

There's nothing wrong with Crown. However, any "proof" that one battery is better than another should be published. Where was the media for this grand event? If they have factual evidence that theirs "meet" spec, and others don't, why wouldn't they invite independent witnesses and "kill" their competition?
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:00 PM   #4
pete959
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

the only time i see bad batts after a year is bad customer care or someone just trying to sell new ones (hint that is why he "can't" get them warrantied)
pete959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:29 PM   #5
bxlt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by theskyiscrying View Post

I know, I know, he's trying to get $565 out of me for Crown 235's, but the demo they did there does make sense and based on what I've heard about the Trojan issues the last year or so, I'm investing my money in Crown's.

Of course, your mileage may vary...
If it were me I would buy two sets of those crowns if its only $565! That's almost half of what a set of batteries would cost me here!
bxlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:04 PM   #6
MikeWestern400
Not Yet Wild

Best price I found were crown 235 for $79 each and trojan t105 for $100 each. Both prices include core exchange.
MikeWestern400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:50 AM   #7
Doogie1houser
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Anyone tried the "Blackbox" battery. It is made by trojan but does not have the Trojan name. $75 dollars a piece with a 6 month Warranty. Thats $450.00 vs. the best price I could get on Trojan 102's was $125 a piece.
Doogie1houser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:09 AM   #8
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I have NO experience with this, but...

"Blems" are one thing. If they're batteries that didn't pass a QA/QC check, I probably wouldn't buy them.

I'd want to know why they don't have the "Trojan" name.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:41 AM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogie1houser View Post
Anyone tried the "Blackbox" battery. It is made by trojan but does not have the Trojan name. $75 dollars a piece with a 6 month Warranty. Thats $450.00 vs. the best price I could get on Trojan 102's was $125 a piece.
The 6V "Black Box" made by Trojan is a 210AH battery that weighs 58 pounds, which equates to a T-605 rather than a T-105, so you're comparing apples to oranges.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:07 AM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
I'd want to know why they don't have the "Trojan" name.
Several battery manufacturers produce batteries that carry the labeling of the retailers.
You might find a "Manufactured by: xxxxxx" is small print someplace, but not always.

Some store brands are fairly decent products sold at a reduced price, while others are inferior products designed to be sold at price they are being sold at, so the savings is nil, or even worse, the total cost over the lifetime of the product, may be greater.

Buying cart batteries is like buying oats.
If you want nice, fresh, clean oats, you must pay a fair price.
However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse: That, comes at a little cheaper price.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO