lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-01-2009, 11:25 AM   #1
Olditer
Not Yet Wild

Default G22A front shock coilovers

The front shock coilover springs on my 2003 Yamaha G22A gas cart are much too stiff for a comfortable ride. Has anyone any experience with replacing these springs with some softer ones from another cart/motorcycle?
Olditer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-01-2009, 11:57 AM   #2
ads245
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: G22A front shock coilovers

The only problem I see is that, on the G22 and the Drive the shock is apart of the u-bracket or coupler that houses the spindle, so you couldn't just replace the shock itself without making custom modifications. If you want a smoother ride, you need to go with a long travel, not a spindle which only lifts the cart. A long travel replaces the front end with a-arms and new shocks. The only "quality" long travel available for the G22/Drive is made by Allsports. Everyone who has this kit installed on their cart only has positive remarks to say about it. Just click on site sponsors, then Allsports and once at Allsports' website click on Yamaha lift kits. It is the last one shown.
ads245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 01:11 PM   #3
Olditer
Not Yet Wild

Thanks, ads245. I envision keeping the shock itself, but replacing just the coil overs. I think by removing the top attachment, they could be slipped off and softer ones installed.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:14 PM   #4
ads245
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I see what you were talking about, I could see that working just fine.
ads245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 01:18 PM   #5
Olditer
Not Yet Wild

Now to find the right replacement coils. Anyone have any ideas or experience with these? I know there must be someplace(s) on the web with comparisons of spring lengths, coil diameter/thickness, compression/rebound specs, etc., but hands-on experience is what really counts.
Old 03-01-2009, 02:57 PM   #6
Olditer
Not Yet Wild

Here's another idea: I think I could cut off the lower original welded shock mount, weld in a pair of tabs further outboard on the pad, and then mount whatever shock/coilover combo I choose (probably from the rear of a motorcycle). Anybody who's done a lift got a pair of originals they would care to donate to the cause?
Old 03-01-2009, 04:00 PM   #7
FIXEROFCARTS
Gone Wild

The problem on a yamaha is the spring holds the front end up. If you go with a lesser coil rate spring the front end will sag down and the tires will kick out at the bottom. The cure would be to go with a taller spring, but if you cram it in there you will gain back a stiff ride due to having to collape the spring.
FIXEROFCARTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 05:19 PM   #8
Olditer
Not Yet Wild

Yup - I'm afraid that all makes sense. If I did add the tabs and use another shock/coil combination, maybe one with a longer travel and spring might work? Gotta be a way.

Tags
coils, shocks, springs, yamaha
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha