lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-01-2011, 07:11 PM   #1
tenaciousj
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Is the G1 Driven clutch swappable to the G2?

My G2's driven clutch was flopping around when being revved up which caused some pretty nasty vibration through the whole cart. Took it off to check it out and the bushing inside is broken. There is a G1 around at the junk yard and was wondering if that driven would work for my G2. I'm already using the drive clutch off that cart, I just cut the gear on the inside of the clutch off with a grinder and it went right on.
tenaciousj is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-01-2011, 07:28 PM   #2
victorjohn
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Is the G1 Driven clutch swappable to the G2?

You can buy a bushing for your driven clutch. Available as OEM part. Now, whether you can swap that with a G2, I have not tried but why not? On an EZGO, I am running my 96 Workhorse with an 88 driven clutch taken from a 2-stroke EZGO Marathon.
victorjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 07:42 PM   #3
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Not really, G1's had "ramp shoes" on the spring seat and the floating flange, and the G1 floating flange doesn't have a zerk fittin for greasing. Yes I'd change the bushing,but If yours doesn't have a zerk, I'd upgrade to a G9/G16 style. Just makes sence to do the job once and be able to grease it without takeing it apart.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:49 PM   #4
tenaciousj
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallblock450sl View Post
Not really, G1's had "ramp shoes" on the spring seat and the floating flange, and the G1 floating flange doesn't have a zerk fittin for greasing. Yes I'd change the bushing,but If yours doesn't have a zerk, I'd upgrade to a G9/G16 style. Just makes sence to do the job once and be able to grease it without takeing it apart.
Will the G9-G16 slide right on then?

Also does anyone know where I can find the Bushing and the bearing for the secondary?
Old 05-02-2011, 05:25 AM   #5
tenaciousj
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Bushing and oil seals I ment.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:12 AM   #6
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

You can look them up on TNTgolfcart site, or find a yamaha cart dealer. I think they are all the same but the G1 and older G2 don't have the grease zerk. I don't see that as a big deal just get a can of spray grease and douse the shaft inside the spring to grease it. It can get messy after a while. The G1 the spring has no pins on the end for preload, it works both ways. I think it will work on a 4 stroke cart but may not shift the same. You might need to stretch the spring or shim it up a little to make it work better. I'm not 100% but think the shaft/splines are the same. I would say its a good idea to cut the sheave or get a cut one if you have a 4 stroke, it helps take off on lifted carts or for towing.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 06:47 PM   #7
tenaciousj
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho305 View Post
You can look them up on TNTgolfcart site, or find a yamaha cart dealer. I think they are all the same but the G1 and older G2 don't have the grease zerk. I don't see that as a big deal just get a can of spray grease and douse the shaft inside the spring to grease it. It can get messy after a while. The G1 the spring has no pins on the end for preload, it works both ways. I think it will work on a 4 stroke cart but may not shift the same. You might need to stretch the spring or shim it up a little to make it work better. I'm not 100% but think the shaft/splines are the same. I would say its a good idea to cut the sheave or get a cut one if you have a 4 stroke, it helps take off on lifted carts or for towing.
I ended up buying replacement parts for mine just to get it up and going. So now I'm wondering being alll the parts I see for sale all say G2/G9, does this mean the G9 driven will slide right on the shaft of my G2?
Old 05-02-2011, 07:30 PM   #8
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

It should. Only differences I know of G9 and 2 is the engine has less compression on G9 they kept lowering and increasing displacement with every new engine. The ignitor is different has rev limit in G2 and couple of wires/colors are different. Rocker/steering shaft/front trim are different colors.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 04:06 PM   #9
tenaciousj
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho305 View Post
It should. Only differences I know of G9 and 2 is the engine has less compression on G9 they kept lowering and increasing displacement with every new engine. The ignitor is different has rev limit in G2 and couple of wires/colors are different. Rocker/steering shaft/front trim are different colors.
Thanks for the info.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha