lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-23-2010, 10:09 PM   #1
Boris
DELETED

Default 85 ClubCar, Questions about solenoids and resistor coils

Hey again people ........ I recently picked up an 85 Club Car .... yeah, 5 solenoids 3 resistor coils. The skinny on what is stumping me? ...... I have new batteries in the thing, and when the wheels are off the ground you can definitely hear all 5 of the solenoids activate, however, I don't seem to have a midrange speed when tires are on the ground and under power. The speed seems to go immediately from 1st then to 4th and 5th. There is no puttering around, no half of anything. ....... it's "all or none". The resistor coils all seem to be intact and solid .... and none of then touching each other.

I saw in here awhile back where someone was helping another member figure out these same problems said that just because solenoids are clicking doesn't mean the solenoids/resister coils and beyond are performing as they should.

OK Here's the brain picking phase of this thread ......
#1) Is there a way to check power across the solenoids (one by one) to see if maximum or required current is reaching solenoid #1 then through the coil to solenoid #2 and on to 3, 4 and 5?

#2) Should the voltage at each solenoid be 36v when the solenoids 1-5 are activated, energized one at the time (or whatever the correct terminology is) ....... Or is the voltage at this point is even measured in this manner?

Thanks in advance

Boris is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-23-2010, 10:12 PM   #2
Radicalgolfcarts
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 85 ClubCar, Questions about solenoids and resistor coils

I would have to say one of the solenoids are arched together?? Those older CC's always stumped me!
Radicalgolfcarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 11:53 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Check for a broken coil?
Each solenoid is a simple switch. Check for power in and power out as they click, with the cart up on blocks ..... of course
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 06:23 AM   #4
Hillbilly Deluxe
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I have an 87 CC (As Scottyb is all too aware LOL) and I can tell you that I'm pretty sure mine is operating as it should however there isn't a "smooth" power curve between all of the solenoids. Mine is kinda "Click... thinking about moving, click... I think I can, click.... now we are rolling, click.... rolling a little faster, click... tires chirping. Mine definitely has a jump between the fourth and fifth. When I first bought the cart, one of the center solenoids was "burnt" and it did what yours sounds like it's doing. When I replaced it, it go a lot better, just nothing like a controller cart. In summary, it could be a bad middle solenoid or could be normal.... hope this helps.
Hillbilly Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 06:57 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

OK, here's the deal.... now you see how this thing works you know 2 things. One is there is a reason they advanced the design in later years. And 2, these solenoids have clicked open and shut a bazillion times in the last 30 yrs = they are shot. They are either not working properly or about to not work properly sometime soon
Replace all 5 solenoids and have a new old fashion 5 solenoid system. If you changed out the 5 micro switches in the box you would have a complete speed control rebuild for under $150 in parts.

Or Rip it all out and convert to solid state. = big bucks
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:13 AM   #6
Hillbilly Deluxe
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Replaced all of my solenoids. Works great, just a little "jumpy"
Old 03-24-2010, 10:10 AM   #7
Boris
DELETED

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
OK, here's the deal .... If you changed out the 5 micro switches in the box you would have a complete speed control rebuild for under $150 in parts.

Or Rip it all out and convert to solid state. = big bucks
Thats what I was contemplating scotty ...... I have a complete solid state unit sitting in a 96 CC but I'd rather let the new owners do the swap .... I have too many bucks in this cart ...... I understand that there might be a suspect solenoid or two. I think I'll start there and sell this Wonderful Vintage cart ........

Thanks men

Vintage Cart anyone? .....
Old 03-29-2010, 09:19 AM   #8
Hillbilly Deluxe
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

LOL! This is hilarious! Read this post the other day, then was looking at Craig's list this morning and saw it for sale. Couldn't miss the paint job. Small world.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:13 PM   #9
Boris
DELETED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbilly Deluxe View Post
LOL! This is hilarious! Read this post the other day, then was looking at Craig's list this morning and saw it for sale. Couldn't miss the paint job. Small world.
Hootie Hoo! Yeah, pretty gawdy huh? Be a hard one to get stolen without witnesses ....
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car