lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-19-2008, 06:02 PM   #1
ZOOM-T
Not Yet Wild

Default Cart Stalls

I have been reading your forum for a while now and decided to join for some advice. I have a 1996 EZ-Go TXT with a DCS controller and shunt motor. The controller and motor are stock. The cart is lifted with 22x11x8 tires and a rear fold down seat. From what I have read, the motor and controller should have been upgraded when making these changes. I live in an area with small hills and inclines. Except for bad batteries, which have been replaced, everything has went well with the cart until recently. The cart has lost about 1/3 of its speed. With the accelator pressed fully the cart will ocassionally stall. This only happens for a couple of seconds. When this happens, the charge meter (volt meter) will drop to zero volts and then come back up. I suspected a loose connection and checked all the connections The last time I was backing out of the garage, the cart stopped, the charge meter went to zero. I noticed a burning smell. I put the cart in forward and the cart moved, the smell stopped, and I continued on. It now appears to be a short. I work in an industrial plant and have seen rotating shorts in AC motors. I have not checked the brushes yet or performed a check on the controller.
Could this be the controller or motor or both? Since this is a DCS system with a shunt motor can this motor be upgraded by EMP to handle the cart? I have read that you can't do much with shunt motors.

Thanks,
ZOOM_T
ZOOM-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-19-2008, 06:37 PM   #2
rusty
Golf Cart Photographer

Club Car

Default Re: Cart Stalls

Welcome to the forum ZOOM-T................

You stated:
Since this is a DCS system with a shunt motor can this motor be upgraded by EMP to handle the cart? Yes.

I have read that you can't do much with shunt motors. Not true. They are in all of the newer carts and fastly becoming popular.

Since you have already checked & tightened the battery cables, you could have a bad solenoid, where the internal contacts are actually burned up.

Next time it stalls or you smell something burning, see if the solenoid is hot and it never hurts to recheck the battery cables again.
rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 06:47 AM   #3
ZOOM-T
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the heads up on the solenoid. That makes sense since this is a series circuit. The current would be them same through out. The bad connection of the solenoid would cause an excessive current draw. I will check that after I get home tonight.

ZOOM-T
Old 08-21-2008, 01:24 PM   #4
ZOOM-T
Not Yet Wild

I ran the cart for a while and checked the solenoid. It was not hot while driving. When I stopped, I checked it. It was very hot and the cable from the batteries was also hot. I have a new solenoid ordered. I will let you know if that worked.

ZOOM-T
Old 08-24-2008, 05:21 AM   #5
ZOOM-T
Not Yet Wild

Replacing the solenoid, repaired the problem. My speed has returned along with the battery charge life. I have one other question. While replacing the solenoid, I noticed the top of the case of the controller appears to be distorted. It has a slight sag in it. The printed circuit board can be seen. Is this normal, or was this caused by heat?

ZOOM_T
Old 08-24-2008, 08:06 AM   #6
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOOM-T View Post
I have one other question. While replacing the solenoid, I noticed the top of the case of the controller appears to be distorted. It has a slight sag in it. The printed circuit board can be seen. Is this normal, or was this caused by heat?

ZOOM_T
No, it is not normal. There is not much you can do exept maybe send it out to a controller repair shop and have them replace the case.....OR try and repair it yourself. to get it sealed back off. You should be very careful not to run through any water or mud, I fear you will smoke the controller if you do. And yes, it was causd by heat.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 08:16 PM   #7
ZOOM-T
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for you quick response. I am considering installing the Alltrax DCX400. I am trying to verify that it will fit under the Run/Tow housing and it will not require altering the heat sink. Then I will send the motor to EMP for upgarding. That should give me a nice cart.

ZOOM-T
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO