lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-23-2013, 01:18 PM   #1
Lavorn
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Default HELP EZ Go underpowered

I need help. I recently put new tires/rims on my 99 Gas EZGo and it goes great but lacks the power to get up my driveway unless I take a run at it. The "gear ratio" by putting on the 8x22 tires is great on the flat or when the rpms are high, but from a standstill it won't go if I have 4 people on the cart and the hill is steep.
The new alum wheels and large tires look awesome and it is fast, but I need help making it generate rpms from the start. Theoretically the stock centrifugal clutch should allow itself to slip until it generates enough rpms to move the cart, but that isn't happening the way I would think it would? Any ideas how to improve power easily or fix the problem w/o going to smaller tires?
Also the cart is not as smooth on the start and sort of jumps when I start rather than a gradual slipping and then clutch tightening as rpms increase? The belt look fine and I can't see any problems but am not sure what to look for either?
Lavorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-23-2013, 08:11 PM   #2
Vavoomskill
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: HELP EZ Go underpowered

Try running the cart on jack stands and seeing what the clutch does. I would think you have a driven clutch problem "sticking"
Vavoomskill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:50 PM   #3
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

A few things.How is the belt,If its' worn,it will be narrower,thus sit lower in the rear-clutch and loose low-end power.You can buy a spring for the engine-clutch,which will increase the engagement-rpm,and definitely help low-end power.Your clutches don't really slip on engagement,the belt might,but the clutches engage at/near a set rpm.The spring will assist that.I had a stock 2-stroke Marathon,with 22" tires it was terrible off the line.I shimmed the clutch 3/16",and it was like I put different gears in it.The Clutch spring is $30.They also offer a Torque-Spring for the Secondary(axle-clutch),I would do the belt and Primary-Clutch Spring,then go from there.Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:19 AM   #4
Lavorn
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Cool Re: HELP EZ Go underpowered

I found a Performance kit on Car Parts plus for $100 that includes both springs and a new belt and promises to double the torque off the line and is designed for carts with bigger tires. Hopefully this will resolve all my problems! Since the cart is an older one and since it is in Kauai and I can't buy anything there I just decided to bite the Bullitt and buy the whole kit, rather than just buy the spring and pay shipping and then wind up buying the belt and paying the freight on it and on and on. I'm surprised I didn't get a bunch of hits advising me to take this step? Maybe most people don't know that there is such an option?
Old 02-24-2013, 10:58 AM   #5
ATOMIC_BADBOY
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachanga90 View Post
A few things.How is the belt,If its' worn,it will be narrower,thus sit lower in the rear-clutch and loose low-end power.You can buy a spring for the engine-clutch,which will increase the engagement-rpm,and definitely help low-end power.Your clutches don't really slip on engagement,the belt might,but the clutches engage at/near a set rpm.The spring will assist that.I had a stock 2-stroke Marathon,with 22" tires it was terrible off the line.I shimmed the clutch 3/16",and it was like I put different gears in it.The Clutch spring is $30.They also offer a Torque-Spring for the Secondary(axle-clutch),I would do the belt and Primary-Clutch Spring,then go from there.Hope this helps.
x2
ATOMIC_BADBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:35 PM   #6
Lavorn
Getting Wild
Yamaha

I am Getting mixed messages about rebuilding the drive clutch and putting in the high performance spring? One place says that there are three bolts to remove and the other says there is only the one center bolt? I looked at a Utube video of a guy taking the Driven clutch off and then dismantling it and then Reassembling it and it looked like he had no clue how to really do it right. Can you give me any ideas on exactly how to take the clutch apart w/o removing the entire thing. Or is that even possible? Then how do I reassemble it properly as it is under pressure? Also I bought 28 degree clutch pads to replace the old ones so I don't have to take it apart again. I am surprised that there is not a good Utube video of exactly how a pro would do this? Maybe I am not looking in the right place? I'm old and any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:39 PM   #7
Lavorn
Getting Wild
Yamaha

I forgot to ask. Where and how did you "shim" your clutch? I don't get how that
Would help so I clearly am not envisioning exactly what you did to make yours run better. Can you paint me a good word picture?
Old 02-24-2013, 05:45 PM   #8
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

On my Marathon Drive-Clutch,I put a 3/16" shim under the spring,to give it more tension.For your cart,buy the spring,it will work better.To swap the spring on the engine-clutch,paint a mark on the aluminum end-cap,and on the black steel cover.This will assure your alignment on reassembly.Remove the center-bolt that goes into the crankshaft.Then remove the cover-bolts on the outer perimeter of the aluminum cover.There is a little tension,but not drastic,loosen the bolts equally,all the way out.remove the cover and spring,install new spring and reassemble.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:49 PM   #9
LostHusker
Just one day at a time

E-Z-GO

Some guys have put on a shorter belt to help with these type items, but I believe you loose a little on the top end when doing so.
LostHusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:36 PM   #10
AndyMcG
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

After you get the kit report back n how well it worked please.
AndyMcG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ez go, underpowered
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO