lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-31-2013, 12:06 PM   #1
gregorythomas
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default '90 Marathon Gas no start, wires really hot

Hi Gang, I'm new to the forum. A buddy just dropped off a '90 Marathon 2 St, Gas cart that would not start. I charged the battery, installed it and with the cart up on jack stands turned the key on and pressed the gas pedal and nothing. When switching the key on and off the solenoid clicks loudly and I can feel the relay switching as I touch it and turn the key on/off. With the key on, the wire from Solenoid to the Forward / Reverse switch heat up quick. The wire from the F/R switch to starter generator also get really hot pretty fast. I'm assuming that this indicates a problem with the Starter Generator. I have rebuilt 2 stroke dirt bikes but I am a total NUBE with Carts.
I need to learn the basic principles of how this thing works. I understand that the motor can run in forward or reverse and how it starts determines which way it is running (totally new to me). There is a small switch down by the accelerator linkage but I don't know what that does. On this cart when the throttle is closed the adjustable screw does not touch the switch. I am thinking that it should and this switch when depressed by the throttle linkage stops the motor, and when the pedal is pushed it activates the circuit that operates the starter, is that right? What is the best wasy for me to learn the basic operating principles?
Thanks
NUBE Greg
gregorythomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-31-2013, 08:29 PM   #2
redcloud
Gone Wild

Default Re: '90 Marathon Gas no start, wires really hot

The switch is the limit switch that activates the starter. ussualy activates after the peddle moves 1/2".
I would say your prob. the starter motor is prob froze up and shot internal wiring. New unit most likely needed but they can be disassembled to take a look at it. Even could be a bearing. Do a break down to check it out.
Best place to learn is on this forum and get a good manual for your cart.
redcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:26 PM   #3
gregorythomas
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks very much for your help. I will explore the forum and figure out where to get a manual for my cart. I took the muffler out and will take the plate underneath that out tomorrow to get to the Starter/Generator. So I guess the limiter switch is normally depressed by the throttle linkage (pedal at normal rest position) and when you step on the pedal the switch goes off normal and activates the starter. So there is something wrong the adjustment of my limiter switch in that the throttle linkage at rest is not pressing on the switch like it should be.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:59 PM   #4
gregorythomas
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Great Help from this site!! I got the Parts Manual and the Operation and Service Manual for my 1990 Marathon. Read Chapter L of the O&S manual and checked out all of my wiring which was fine. I loosened the tension on the belt between starter/gen and motor and got the starter to turn both directions while moving the FNR switch. The belt was just slipping which proved my Starter/Gen and control wiring was OK.

I could not turn the drive shaft so pulled the spark plug. I poured a bit of 2T oil into the spark plug hole and started rocking the clutch on the drive shaft.
That helped the motor break loose. I guess this has been sitting so long that corrosion inside the cylinder caused the piston to be stuck. With a bit of muscle I got it freed up. So i retensioned the starter belt and got the motor to turn over with the starter (No plug in). Slowly first then moving pretty fast. Put the plug back in and tried the starter, got one cycle then stopped.
Same thing both directions. As I was stepping on the accelerator, I took my hand and gave the clutch a couple of pulls, helping it spin. That allowed the starter to keep it spinning.

The original problem with this cart was a No fuel problem at the carb feed, so I put some premix in one of my dirtbike tanks, hung it from the ceiling and ran a fuel hose to the carb. Back to starting it and it fired up and ran. Boy really loud with no muffler on it. No fuel was pumping out the open fuel line so I guess the fuel pump needs to be replaced.

Tomorrow to home depot for a bunch of new nuts and bolts to replace the ones I took off, dont want to put those back on there. Then put muffler back on. Tidy up the wiring a bit and see if I can get it rolling with the aux tank. Thanks NUBE Greg

Figured out that the Accel Limit switch was just bent. The little roller was above the bolt head that normally depresses it. Just bent it back and that was good.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:05 PM   #5
gregorythomas
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Oh forgot to report that the wires were hot because the starter was trying to move the frozen motor and the belt was so tight it could not move it. Once I freed up the motor the wires did not heat up. Because the accel limit switch was bent and not being depressed by the throttle, as soon as the key turned on it was in start mode without moving the pedal. Now onto that fuel pump tomorrow.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:14 AM   #6
swag44
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

good stuff GTHOMAS,THESE GUYS ON HERE ROCK, where did u get the manuel?? i got a 92 4cycle 295cc i got the ones to break down the axle and engine but nothing on, the electrical side
swag44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 04:25 PM   #7
gregorythomas
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Sorry I did not check this post until today.
Here is where I got the parts manual. I also found an Operations and Service manual searching on this forum. I will try to find that link for you.
greg

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-e...ce-manual.html
Old 09-18-2013, 06:03 PM   #8
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

While you have the muffler off, burn it out! There's a bunch of posts on doing this. Check the search at the top menu. The mufflers clog up from burn't oil.
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:00 AM   #9
redcloud
Gone Wild

This is the best one I have found for service manual.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/attac...-gas-parts.pdf
redcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO