lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-15-2016, 07:23 AM   #1
Dela
EZ come EZ go

Club Car

Default Reversing contactor crapped the bed already?!?

recently replaced my FNR rotary with a SW202 reversing contactor.

The issues I've been experiencing with intermittent stops has been traced to a bad FNR

Question is - how long do these generally last? I use the cart almost daily

And is there something I should be looking into directly at this SW202 to trouble shoot - or is it simply DOA?

thanks
Dela is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-15-2016, 08:10 AM   #2
DIRTPIT HC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Reversing contactor crapped the bed already?!?

Dela, I think you and I got those rev. contactors about the same time. I do not however use my cart daily. I am by no means an expert so this is just a thought. Could it be just the rocker switch? That seems to be the week link in those setups. I believe I have seen where Scotty said you could get a rocker switch from the auto parts house??? Maybe worth a try while we are waiting on the experts. Good luck. I'll keep posted.
DIRTPIT HC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 08:37 AM   #3
Dela
EZ come EZ go

Club Car

Interesting - I'll certainly try anything at this point. But I don't think my rocker is the malfunction, the contactor engages when it is clicked in either forward or reverse.

My opinion at this point is that something is burnt within the contactor - this had happened to my old rotary FNR and caused the same issue.

I'm just surprised that it happened to this big heavy duty unit... especially so soon.

Trying to locate a new SW202 locally but not having much luck thus far.

Good luck with yours and please keep us all posted with your progress, I'll do the same
Old 12-15-2016, 09:27 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

They say there is always a first but, of the hundreds of SW202 reversing contactors sold zero have burnt up.
Our friend and technician Rabbit in FL has discussed with me his use of the smaller 200a SW182 reversing contactor with 500 amp controllers and big tires. But I insist upon following the manufactures recommendation for matching the 400a SW202 with the 500a controls and thus insure reliable operation.

If Rabbit's customers are getting by with the smaller SW182 on their carts why are you burning up a SW202 with your cart?
Consistently low battery voltage operation leads to high amperage draw which equals excessive heat. Worn motor can do the same high amp draw as can simply creeping along for extended times, or anything that keeps the cart under load for extended times.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 09:57 AM   #5
DIRTPIT HC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Just to be clear, I am not having trouble with my contractor. I am very happy with it. Was just trying to help out if I could.
DIRTPIT HC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 10:30 AM   #6
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Dela, is Your SW202 operated by the Pedal micro-switch or just the FNR toggle switch?
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 10:31 AM   #7
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

First I've seen of someone burning up a SW202. I'm interested in seeing what the final solution to this is. Dela please report back when you figure this out.

I too have the the SW202 and can't image how you could be burning it up.
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 11:57 AM   #8
Dela
EZ come EZ go

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
Dela, is Your SW202 operated by the Pedal micro-switch or just the FNR toggle switch?
ITS micro to FNR toggle
Old 12-15-2016, 11:59 AM   #9
Dela
EZ come EZ go

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPW View Post
First I've seen of someone burning up a SW202. I'm interested in seeing what the final solution to this is. Dela please report back when you figure this out.

I too have the the SW202 and can't image how you could be burning it up.
I located a shop that had the sw202 in stock - went to pick it up and as we got talking, mechanic says he highly doubts I need to replace mine. Same as hearing here - VERY tough to burn one of these out.

He thinks it may be a battery issue now. I did have an issue a while back with a terminal and the mechanic at that time tapped the battery. He (new guy) thinks this could be causing the issue.

I'm having them pick the cart up - this is well above my paygrade at this point and I am simply band aiding what I can find and think of

any thoughts from you all on battery concept? Could it be the cause?
Old 12-15-2016, 12:13 PM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Good Call. I was going to suggest a shop diagnose the cart
Keep us posted we are all curious now.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO