lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-17-2016, 12:12 PM   #1
Aguasport
Not Yet Wild

Default Does this mean I need to replace my rear leaf springs

[ATTACH]IMG_9627.jpg[/ATTACH]

I think my rear leaf springs need to be replaced. How would I know? The pictures that I attached are of the locked down leaf spring and the other is still up? Either way currently my springs are I believe are heavy duty (98 EZGO). But while driving if I hit a bump the leaf spring get locked down in place. In order for me to not drive crooked I have to hop out and pull up on the back corner of the cart. Sometimes it happens to only one side but it usually happens to the side with the weight on it. Any ideas on what I should do?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9626.jpg (208.6 KB, 0 views)
Aguasport is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-17-2016, 12:22 PM   #2
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Does this mean I need to replace my rear leaf springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguasport View Post
[ATTACH]Attachment 144974[/ATTACH]

I think my rear leaf springs need to be replaced. How would I know? The pictures that I attached are of the locked down leaf spring and the other is still up? Either way currently my springs are I believe are heavy duty (98 EZGO). But while driving if I hit a bump the leaf spring get locked down in place. In order for me to not drive crooked I have to hop out and pull up on the back corner of the cart. Sometimes it happens to only one side but it usually happens to the side with the weight on it. Any ideas on what I should do?
Look at your shackles. The shackle length is not matched well to your obviously longer than stock leaf spring length. So your shackle is going flat, locking the leaf spring. You need to go with a shorter set of shackles, or a longer set of shackles, to get far away from that locking length. I would go shorter by a few inches to prevent the issue. it'll actually raise the cart due to the better shackle angle. You can also drill new holes in your existing shackles to fix this. If you do that, clamp them together with bolts at both ends and drill them together and squared to make sure the holes all line up to make them all the same.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 12:25 PM   #3
rib33024

Looks like you need some new bushings in the springs
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 12:26 PM   #4
Aguasport
Not Yet Wild

Bob thank you. That makes total sense to me now. You saved me a bunch of cash!
Aguasport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 12:37 PM   #5
rileymon
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

For it to stretch back that far the front spring bushing must be gone also. if not the springs might be a bit to long for the application. And that could be remedy with a longer shackle
rileymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 04:54 PM   #6
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rib33024 View Post
Looks like you need some new bushings in the springs
I agree. both sides need new bushings. Some cracked, some totally missing. The increased stress on those bushings created by the bad angle on the shackle helped to take them out I'm sure.

When buying HD leaf springs, it's best to size them correctly so that the shackles are as vertical as possible between the leaf spring and the shackle attachment at the frame.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 01:43 PM   #7
Gearhead1956
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

If you have had this cart for a while? and it use to operate fine?

Then the geometry of the spring and shackles is ok. If the cart is new to you or the springs have been replaced, I would agree the springs do look to long!
I would get the spec on the length of stock spring and compare it to yours!

But one can tell from your pic's that your bushings are shot and nonexistent!

And is most likely causing to much travel allowing the shackle to brake over center and not allowing the spring too travel back.

Also I am betting your shocks are shot!

Good luck
Gearhead1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO