lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-22-2016, 07:21 PM   #1
Ductapefix
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 2008 or so 36V EZGO TXT PDS - Solenoid clicks moves 1 Ft

Another new troubleshooter here. Please be gentle. This one is around a 2008 (serial # plate is gone) TXT with PDS. It has less than 1 year old Crown batteries, good connections everywhere. Pack is charged and tests at 38.2V. No other new parts (except for rear seat and lights). Controller side of solenoid tests about .5V lower. Solenoid clicks when I press go pedal. When rear is elevated the wheels turn for about 3 seconds then it acts like somebody pulled the plug-- just stops dead. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It beeps 4 times and then code "21".

Oh yeah, family was driving around the other night on roads only but at half/slow speed for about 40 min. looking at Christmas lights. When they went to leave again it started doing this. Wondering if the controller or something else is damaged.

Update: It's a 2010. Found a sticker with a serial # on it. Also, it has the dash switch for FNR. It beeps in reverse as it is supposed to.
Ductapefix is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-23-2016, 09:05 AM   #2
FF Titus
Gone Wild

Default Re: 2008 or so 36V EZGO TXT PDS - Solenoid clicks moves 1 Ft

Check the speed sensor, haven't had my coffee yet, but gut says to start there.
FF Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 10:47 AM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Four beeps means the controller is in "Freedom" mode.
Two beeps followed by one beep is the beep code for low battery voltage.

Either the battery pack voltage is dropping excessively under load, or the voltage on J1 Pin-4 or Pin-5 is low.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 01:50 PM   #4
Ductapefix
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Forgive me but what's next to figure out which it is and what do do about it? Thanks!
Old 12-23-2016, 02:23 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Connect a voltmeter to the battery pack and see what the voltage drops to when you push the pedal and the motor stops.

If it doesn't drop more than about 4 or 5 volts, then connect volt to J1 Pin-5. Push test probe into the backside of the white nylon plug. Should be same as battery pack voltage with our without pedal pushed.

Repeat for J1 Pin-4. Same voltages as Pin-5.
Old 12-23-2016, 04:35 PM   #6
Ductapefix
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Connect a voltmeter to the battery pack and see what the voltage drops to when you push the pedal and the motor stops. 38.1 down to 37.8 when it stops

If it doesn't drop more than about 4 or 5 volts, then connect volt to J1 Pin-5. Push test probe into the backside of the white nylon plug. Should be same as battery pack voltage with our without pedal pushed. 37.9 and after it stops it is 37.6

Repeat for J1 Pin-4. Same voltages as Pin-5. 37.9 down to 37.7

Not sure what this means but I will follow your instructions to the letter. Thanks!
Old 12-24-2016, 10:17 AM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The voltage on Pins 4 & 5 ought to track the battery pack voltage exactly (38.0V -> 37.5V), but none of them are getting low enough to trigger a low voltage error.

Connect your voltmeter between the B- and B+ terminals on the controller and measure voltage after the solenoid first clicks and again when cart fails.

----------
As FF Titus mentioned, the symptoms do point to a speed sensor failure.
Push the cart by hand, or let it roll down an incline for a few feet.
If the speed sensor is working, the Walkaway safety will kick in and the cart will beep rapidly while applying regen braking to limit cart to ~2MPH.
Old 12-24-2016, 11:35 AM   #8
Ductapefix
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Hey, my brother was over last night and made me jumper the solenoid. With the jumper on the cart goes and doesn't die. Only single speed operation but it does work so I guess I replace it and go from there?
Old 12-24-2016, 01:14 PM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

When you say jumper the solenoid, do you mean you connected an added cable from large terminal to large terminal, or did you just put both cables on the battery side terminal?

Also, what do you mean by "Only single speed operation"?

---------
The solenoid contacts not making a good connection, will cause the cart to only run for a foot or so, or the wheels to turn for a few seconds when cart is jacked up, but when the contacts are bypassed, the cart should have the continuously variable speeds that it normally has.

-----------
Do you still get the 2-1 error code with the solenoid contacts jumpered?

--------
Your cart might have more than one problem.
Old 12-26-2016, 01:46 PM   #10
Ductapefix
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I put a battery cable across the two large contacts and it ran. Didn't seem to have full throttle activity though. Only ran it for 20 sec. though. So, I replaced the solenoid and it operates normally now. I'll keep an eye on it to see if any other symptoms show up and post up if they do.

Thank you for all of your input on this. I've read a number of posts by you guys and you are fantastic. Merry Christmas!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO